X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garto
    • May 2006

Small Dorm Speakers

Hi its my first post so bear with me please.
    I want to build a pair of speakers this summer but everything out there seems a bit expensive or a bit large. I need some spreakers that are small (maybe 7 x12 x 9) and inexpensive (somewhere around 150 for a pair). I was wondering if anyone knew any links to any diy projects. Basically any information at all would be helpful. Also if it makes a difference, I'll be making a sub later, maybe a little bigger version of the drake on PE projects (Dayton Quattro driver in a sealed enclosure).
    -Chris
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Check the Modula TM sticky thread.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• derekbannatyne
      • Jan 2006

What about these, they're 6(W) x 11(H) x 11.5(D)?

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

My two cents-

First, the Modula project looks seriously good. I'm building a pair right now.

Next, check all of Zaph's projects. The Aurasound 3" driver has a major "cute" factor that many audio enthusiasts overlook. Dorms are too small to begin with.

Finally, don't be afraid of a ported sub. You'll usually get more sound per dollar ported.

It's my opinion that "dorm speakers" have a much larger share of "impress your friends" in their design requirements than speakers you build after college. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I built a pair of tower speakers and nobody was impressed with the bass. Really, the bass wasn't that good- but it would have been enough for me if someone hadn't said "Is that all?"
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

I'll third the Modula MTsuggestion. They actually have impressive bass for their size (should extend down to 35Hz with relative ease, in your room).

However, they are a bit more expensive than $150 a pair.

Comment

• Mudjock
            • Sep 2005

You might try my Chicago Audiofest design. It is an MT with the Dayton RS150 and Seas H1212. I built it using the Parts Express 0.25 cu. ft. box, which almost exactly meets your dimension requirements. My cost for drivers and crossovers was around $160, but the sale inductor I used in the woofer circuit is no longer available, so you will spend an extra $10-$15 for either an air core or a larger guage laminate core. Ported f3 is around 60 Hz, which should work well with a sub (surprisingly decent bass on its own for listening to music in a small room, but certainly no shock and awe factor without a sub). I think you can find the design details if you search my previous posts... or you can send me a PM and I can email you a copy.
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• garto
              • May 2006

Well either I build Mudjocks Chicago speakers and also a sub or I build just the modula MT's. I really don't have the money to do the Modula MT's and the sub. What will yield me a better sound? I guess I could always make the sub down the road I guess. I dunno, do you think its worth it to only build the Modula MT's and then wait half a year to a year before I build a sub?

Also has anyone heard the Microbes? Are they worth looking at? And sorry about all the questions....I'm really just a poor college kid so I'm just being thorough before I plop down my money since I literally can't afford to make a mistake.
              -Chris

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

How would you describe your listening habits? Mostly music, or mostly movies? Is it going to be loud?

I definitely understand being a student and having a budget that doesn't stretch. Here's an idea for you- if you can be flexible and get something a lot bigger, sometimes you can find good old speakers second-hand for a steal.
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• kfr01
                  • Jan 2006

Chris:

For you, I'd suggest investing in some decent headphones and waiting on the speakers; for now.

In a year or two you'll move out of the dorm into a student apartment. You'll have more room there. You may want to throw parties. You may want to set up a home theater rig.

If I remember the dorm days correctly, you'll WANT to wear headphones many days and nights.

That said, some clones of this: http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrnch2/fullrange.html

can be built for $150. They are very simple to build. (No crossover). The parts can be bought at:

Good luck.

Karl
                  Karl
                  My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
                  Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• garto
                    • May 2006

Hmm...Okay my listening habits. Generally I listen to music as not so loud levels throughout the day and on weekends I usually end up cranking it real loud (My RA is a friend of mine so I don't get written up). Right now I have the klipsch pro media Ultras and I used that all of this year in a stereo 2.1 setup (I couldnt find place for the other 3 speakers). It was alright, but they lacked depth and imaging and they got scratchy at high volumes. For their size they are good I guess but they just didnt immerse you in sound when you cranked them which is really what I wanted on several occasions. My dad has JBL northridge e100's and I like the sound of those a lot but of course those are huge floorstanding speakers. And yes I know those aren't the greatest speakers but our budget last year wasn't very high at all and they were on sale.

I do have headphones by the way, some shure in ear headphones which are nice and comfortable for me. And I potentially have 5 years ahead of me in college (going for the masters in mech. engr) so I would really like to have some nice speakers. I am leaning towards the Modula MT's right now since they will probably be nicer and will last longer as I won't outgrow them quite so quick. BTW are the Dayton 3's any good? While they don't meet my physical requirements they seem as if they could proved the depth I want.
                    -Chris

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well the TMWW 3 ways are not SO big, like 42" tall while the other dayton 3 ways are about 50" tall. But been told by many they rock :B

Comment

• Dotay
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        Well the TMWW 3 ways are not SO big, like 42" tall while the other dayton 3 ways are about 50" tall. But been told by many they rock :B
                        Might be slightly over the $150 budget though...

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Thats true...the TMWW's are about 505 dollars in parts and then whatever extra's you buy. But then again better speakers cost more money :B (in diy sence anyways cant compare to commercial cause that just doesnt make sence at all most of the time)

Comment

• garto
                            • May 2006

I think we have confusion over whcih dayton 3's, i was thinking of the mtm version found at http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...D3/dayton3.htm
                            Those are only 22 inches high, 9 inches wide, and 13.5 inches long. I mean thats more than double the size of what I wanted but ehhh they are fairly cheap like $200 in parts on PE from last time I made the list.
                            -Chris

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I am leaning towards the Modula MT's right now since they will probably be nicer and will last longer as I won't outgrow them quite so quick.
                              Correct, in addition they'd make great surrounds matching the larger Dayton RS based designs when your budget is higher and you have a bit more space.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Ah those dayoton 3's there are several dayton 3 ways on this forum so thats how i got confused :B

Comment

• garto
                                  • May 2006

haha no worries Dougie, I didn't give enough information. Well I have decided to use Scott's Chicago Audiofest design after all coupled with a dayton 15 quatro. Again, thanks everyone for your input and I'll probably make a worklog once I order the parts and get building. Should be a very fun and rewarding project. Again Thank you Scott for your design!
                                  -Chris

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"