Might be returning my UMC-1.What should I get instead?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Might be returning my UMC-1.What should I get instead?

I'm thinking about returning my UMC-1 and getting a AVR or another processor instead to run as my pre/pro. I'm going to use the $700 I get from returning it to buy something. What should I get instead? I do not have a problem buying used or b-stock.

Things that I love about the UMC-1:

Great Sound

OSD is amazing

seperate EQ for each channel

seperate xover point for each channel

Ability to set each input to seperate video source/sound source/EQ band

bass management

bass extention(bass seemed a lot more "punchier" with the umc1)

Things that I dislike or wished the UMC-1 had:

bugs, bugs, bugs

wish it could independent video adjustments for each input(similar to the eq)

wish it iPod had support

wish it had sirius support

wish it dynamic Audyssey(though I've heard some people like it...some people don't).

wish it had media center capibilities(i.e. internet radio/ streaming possibilites)

wish it had HD Radio support.

no front panel inputs

dual video outputs

internet firmware updates.

Here is a brief outline of what I currently have:

RF-7s(deanG upgrade), RC-7(deanG upgrade), RS-7s, emo xpa5, emo umc1.

Before owning the umc1, I used a marantz sr8400(sold) and hk avr630(still own, but using it in our excercise room).

Any suggestions will be helpful. Companies I've considered, but never narrowed to model numbers: onkyo(integra), marantz, denon, hk

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Nov 2004

For the features you're looking for, you might need to look at a receiver.
    However, Denon and Marantz both do make pre's with those features, but you didn't mention your price range.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• maseline_98
      • Apr 2005

Well...my price range is only the $700 I will get back for returning it. My wife isn't really "keen" on me spending much more than that...

Although, I know a new processor is not within the $700 budget, a used or b-stock might.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
      Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I do know that Denon is about to release some brand new models. Given how Denon has been progressing in the last few years, those would definitely be getting some great consideration from me if I were looking. Whatever their new entry-level model is, it could meet your needs.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by maseline_98
          wish it had HD Radio support.
          Are you sure? FM sounds much, much better to my ears.
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Yamaha is also releasing new units. Seems to cover 80% of what you are looking for.

RV-A800 doesn't have internet radio support $800 6/2 HDMI
            RV-A1000 does at $1100. (plus more stuff). 8/2 HDMI

Both have dual HDMI out, ipod, HD radio, front panel HDMI..

Kevin D.

Comment

• maseline_98
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
              I do know that Denon is about to release some brand new models. Given how Denon has been progressing in the last few years, those would definitely be getting some great consideration from me if I were looking. Whatever their new entry-level model is, it could meet your needs.
              Denon has always been on my eye(though I hope their OSD is better now than I remember it)

Originally posted by Johnloudb
              Are you sure? FM sounds much, much better to my ears.
              Well...honestly...I can't say I have ever even heard HD radio...it's more a "future-proof" item and no where near a deal breaker. I would much rather have sirius and/or iPod controlling interface.

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Yamaha is also releasing new units. Seems to cover 80% of what you are looking for.

RV-A800 doesn't have internet radio support $800 6/2 HDMI
              RV-A1000 does at $1100. (plus more stuff). 8/2 HDMI

Both have dual HDMI out, ipod, HD radio, front panel HDMI..

Kevin D.
              The yamaha's look pretty darn nice...$1100 is a little out of my budget...

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Honestly, I don't think you're going to find a processor with all those features for under $700. UMC-1 pretty much is the cheapest option with features like that. I think av receivers are you best options for the price and features you want.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• maseline_98
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  Honestly, I don't think you're going to find a processor with all those features for under $700. UMC-1 pretty much is the cheapest option with features like that. I think av receivers are you best options for the price and features you want.
                  I was thinking maybe a used one(like an integra...though I haven't found any). I would be open to a new/used avr that would give me options as well...Doesn't really have to have all the features, but a nice core of them would be okay. I was looking at a used pioneer vsx-33, but didn't know if the sound quality would match what the umc-1 was giving me...

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

If I may ask, what do you mean by "bugs, bugs, bugs"? I am doing early research for a new receiver/pre-pro and the Emotiva has caught my eye (obviously because of its price/feature ratio) but "bugs" are mentioned from time to time on various fora. However, I've found very little in the way of concrete information on that score. Just curious.

Comment

• maseline_98
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                      If I may ask, what do you mean by "bugs, bugs, bugs"? I am doing early research for a new receiver/pre-pro and the Emotiva has caught my eye (obviously because of its price/feature ratio) but "bugs" are mentioned from time to time on various fora. However, I've found very little in the way of concrete information on that score. Just curious.
                      Here is a low down of what mine are:

- An occasional loss of sound when flipping channels are sources-->solution-->either have to flip the input or do a cold boot.-

- An occassional video source issue...for some reason it gets stuck in a 480i mode sometimes(though it's really only happened a few times)-->solution-->cold boot.

- DTS Master loses volume level to center channel-->solution-->????no idea...I just try to turn the other channels down and turn the center all the way up...

- sub eq doesn't seem to work...this is not a huge issue for me because I wouldn't use them anyway...

- some of the codecs don't seem to work correctly(i.e. PLII: music, etc)....Not an issue for me because I never use them anyway....

- Their auto EQ systems(IMHO completely just does not work correctly-->It's call EmoQ). I use AVIA and a sound meter(along with a tape measure and my ears to set it)...this again is not a deal breaker, but it should work correctly...

Don't get me wrong, I think Emotiva a good company, but they just may be a little over their head at this point....Not trying to be a Hater or a Fanboy...it's just how I see it...

(of course these could be all fixed when the final firmware is release. They mentioned it firmware was done on 7/30 webcast, but no mention of when it will be released)

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Ah. Well I'm actually interested in a number of those features, so I guess I'll be wary. I am also considering their 2 channel pre-amp with a 2 channel amp for a living room set up--that seems like a safer bet from what you describe.

Comment

• boarder1995
                          • Sep 2009

Their 2 channel pre is good, from what I've read. Their amps are good too. Their HT units (even old models) are problematic.

I'm eyeing the Denon AVR-3311, HDMI 1.4, HD radio, pre-outs, nifty new GUI. I'm coming from a Denon 3300 I've had for many years! I did have a Pioneer Elite 23, but it's in the shop now for HDMI board replacement (warranty) and I only used it for a few months. I was happy with the Denon through all the years without issue.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"