X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Bugs in audio gear!!??

Hey all, I've been seeing little bugs and spiders around the house this summer and I'm wondering what would happen if one would find it's way into my audio gear......specifically my amp?. I've seen ants and some little spiders around it!!. Has anybody had anything like that happen to them and what was the outcome??.
    Dan Madden :T
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I once had a power amp that went bang. I opened it up, and there was a fried gecko inside! Luckily he only blew a fuse (and himself) up.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mjb
      I once had a power amp that went bang. I opened it up, and there was a fried gecko inside! Luckily he only blew a fuse (and himself) up.
      :rofl: Hehehe!! Yep, that's what I'm thinking could happen if they go into the wrong spot.....POOFFF!!! 8O

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Your best bet is to try keeping the bugs away from the start. Following is a link to natural spider repellents. Putting down ant bait may also help.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I've seen air conditioners (central air units) ruined by ants. Enough of them can bridge a hot to ground and BANG-the compressor is shot. Or worse , short one of the big 250 DCV , 500,000 microfarad and up capacitors that start the compressor. Bridge the + to the - while it's running and you get one helluva noise. And shrapnel. I would imagine audio caps are no more immune to such six-legged shenanigans. 8O
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Glen B
            Your best bet is to try keeping the bugs away from the start. Following is a link to natural spider repellents. Putting down ant bait may also help.

http://www.squidoo.com/natural-spider-repellents
            Ok Glen....you are the OFFICIAL HTGuide's bugs in audio gear authority!! :T

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mjb
              LOL... where you in Florida? I had the same thing happen to me with my amp back then. However, he wasn't dead. The gecko ran away once I opened up the amp.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                LOL... where you in Florida?
                Nope, a bit further south in Belize... in fact it wasn't really the bugs you needed to worry about, but the humidity. Most electronic equipment gave up after 6-12 months. My SLR camera grew a mold INSIDE the lens, it looked like a petri-dish experiment. Certainly not the environment for some expensive B&W cones, thats for sure. Those times are behind me now though :T
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"