X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

Emotiva USP-1 versus UMC-1

Anybody own both? Is the USP-1 that much better for two channel than the UMC-1. I don't do vinyl so the ERC-1 feeds tunes to my UMC-1 so I don't need the Phono Preamp. Emotiva claims that it is much better. Just looking for an objective opinion by an owner.
    "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
    -Hyman G. Rickover
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Not many people own both since the UMC-1 is still limited availability. The USP-1 is strictly analog 2Ch while the UMC-1 is a pre/pro with all the bells and whistles. Both have very clean analog paths (MCh inputs on the UMC-1). The biggest advantage of the USP-1 to me is the analog crossover for integrating a sub. If you have 2Ch analog sources like a CD player using it's analog outputs, the USP-1 allows you to use a sub while keeping the signal in the analog domain. Using the UMC-1, if you want to integrate a sub into 2Ch, you have to use a 2Ch input instead of the MCh, and it has to convert to the digital domain in order to apply bass management, then back to analog using its DAC.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• theblue
      • Dec 2009

it sounds to me like if your source is digital then the UMC-1 is the way to go, but if you're using pure analog sources then then the USP-1 might be purer. This is unless you want to take care of all of your DAC needs before your pre since obviously multiple conversions like Digital -> Analog -> Digital -> Analog is not the best way to fly.
      Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
      rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
      B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
      a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• littlesaint
        • Jul 2007

That pretty much sums it up. The UMC-1 does have a very good analog path using the MCh inputs as long as you don't need it to do bass management. An example would be the SE version of the Oppo BD player. You would want to let it perform bass management and analog conversion and send the 2.1, 5.1, or 7.1 over analog to the UMC-1.

The other caveat is if you're using the USP-1 in your home theater to handle 2Ch duties, it can be tricky integrating it with the rest of the system. It does have a home theater pass-through, but some have had issues getting it to work as expected in their setup. YMMV. Emotiva has a great 30 day demo period on any purchase. You just pay shipping to send it back if anything isn't to your liking. The USP-1 doesn't weigh all that much, so it's really a no-brainer to give it a try if you're interested.
        Santino

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

It's my understanding that nearly all pre/pro's including the UMC-1 have digital volume controls and require a conversion from analog>digital>analog thus degrading the sound quality depending on how well implemented the conversion circuitry is. The USP-1 and almost all 2 channel preamps on the other hand are a true analog path for the volume. It's still subject to the the electronics in the preamp but no digital conversion. This info came from Lonnie in one of his posts, BTW.

The show stopper for me with the USP-1 is the requirement that the crossover be utilized with the home theater by-pass. The lowest you can adjust the crossover is 50 Hz. which kills speakers that are full range. The home theater by-pass was my only motivation for buying it. I replaced it with a Channel Islands PLC-1 with home theater by-pass and coundn't be happier with it.

Jim

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

A digital volume control shouldn't require ADC. The controller is digital but it manipulates op-amps in the analog path. Here's a schematic of a Cirrus digital volume controller.

Santino

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
              A digital volume control shouldn't require ADC. The controller is digital but it manipulates op-amps in the analog path. Here's a schematic of a Cirrus digital volume controller.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDat.../CS3310_F1.pdf
              Ask Lonnie...

Jim

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                • Oct 2009

Thanks for the discussion. Based on it I don't think that I will incorporate a USP-1 into my main system, but I might use one in another room as a stand alone 2 channel only system. I have been considering doing analog only up there and picking up a turntable/XPA-2/USP-1. Based on your discussion I will not incorporate it into my all digital realm main system. Thanks.
                "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"