Can the RMB-1095 drive 2.5 ohm speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Can the RMB-1095 drive 2.5 ohm speakers?

G'day,

I've got an opportunity to demo the following speakers at home for a week:

I've heard these speakers before on other equipment, and they sound wonderful, but I'm worried about driving them with my RMB-1095 200w amp. Rotel recommends a minimum of 4 ohm nominal, and these speakers are rated at 2.5 ohm nominal, with a minimum of 1.8 ohm.

So can I drive these speakers with my RMB-1095, or not?

--Geoff
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

Personally - I would not recommend it. The 1.8 Ohm minimum has the potential to either trip the 1095's protecion curcuits or blow the fuses. Either way the amp is likely to struggle with Audible results... THe 1090 is more capable into lower ohm loads (people have driven 2 ohm speakers with it...

Geoff

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
      • May 2004

In the Feb/Mar 2000 issue of Audio Magazine, the tester:

"terminated the front channels (of the RMB 1095) in 2 ohms and cranked up the IHF tone burst, the amp pumped out more than a Kilowatt a side with no sign of fatigue." :E

Cracking!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Who would make a speaker with an ohm rating that low? Most amps aren't going to like that at all which must really limit your target audience.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
          Who would make a speaker with an ohm rating that low? Most amps aren't going to like that at all which must really limit your target audience.
          It does seem a little crazy... kinda like an ultra expensive tube amp that's rated 6 watts @ 8 ohms and can't handle a 4 ohm load.

Cracking!

Comment

• Fraise
            • Dec 2004

the martin logan ascents are 4ohm with an impedence of 1.2ohms @ 20khz.
            i know they're tough speakers to drive but the classe equipment i have doenst seem to have much trouble.

Comment

• hired goon
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
              The 1.8 Ohm minimum has the potential to either trip the 1095's protecion curcuits or blow the fuses.
              How do the protection circuits get activated? Is it based on the load, or the operating temperature? These speakers have 94db efficiency, so I'm wondering how warm the amp will get, compared to an equivalent volume when using inefficient 8-ohm speakers.

--Geoff

Comment

• eelco74
                • Dec 2002

The 1.2 ohms at 20hz is not uncommon, even for other large speakers. I know the RHMB-10 from Rotels Michi line had a way to bypass the protection, especially for panel speakers like the Martin Logan.

I had a set of transmission line speakers, wich behaved just like that, having a 2 Ohm impedance at around 23Hz. I have had a RA-840bx4 (class A) on it and later my current RB-981. I have never blown a fuse on either amps.

remeber the 1090 is build to drive nasty speakers. All speakers on the market have impedance load as high as 50 ohms and as low as 3 ohms. Some are a bit lower like the Martin Logans or the apogees. So try it and have the Apogees for a demo at your equipment. I guess it will sound wonderfull....
                Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

There's a difference between having a minimum resistance for a high freq at 20 khz as there's very little material that actually goes that high and its only for a brief moment...the ones in question are 2.5 ohm nominal which means that virtually all the freq's are going to be demanding on the amps power supply. Still it would be interesting to try those speakers on the 1095 and see what happens.

Comment

• hired goon
                    • Aug 2004

G'day,

...Still it would be interesting to try those speakers on the 1095 and see what happens.
                    Just this morning I bought some beaut speakers: VAF Signature I-93 that are rated at 3 ohm nominal, but the bloke I bought them off also sold me a Rotel RB-1090 2x380w amp, which should be sufficient to drive these babies.

I could try running the I-93's with my 1095, but it's probably safer not to risk it.

BTW here's what Rotel tech support have to say on running 2.5 ohm speakers with the 1095:

Rotel does have conservative power ratings but that does not apply to the
                    impedance rating. I would not recommend connecting these speakers to the
                    amp. These speakers would operate at a very low impedance all of the time
                    which would put a lot of stress on the amp and potentially put it in thermal
                    protection or cause it to overheat and blow up some output devices.
                    --Geoff

Comment

• Taito
                      • Sep 2004

Wow Geoff, congrats on the purchase! Looks like the bigger brother of what I'll end up with - I expect to order the I-66s next week. You're lucky to find a private seller willing to let such a combo go. Let me know how they turn out (and good luck moving them). I'd be very surprised if the 1090 can't do those puppies justice, the I-66s sang with my 1080.

-Ben

Comment

• hired goon
                        • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by Taito
                        Wow Geoff, congrats on the purchase! Looks like the bigger brother of what I'll end up with - I expect to order the I-66s next week. You're lucky to find a private seller willing to let such a combo go.
                        The bloke selling these was getting rid of all his gear -- he also had JMFocal.Lab Utopia speakers and a massive sub, and Electrocompaniet CD/DAC/pre-amp/monoblocks, and $2000 speaker cables, all going for a fraction of the cost (but still beyond my budget -- sigh).

I got a *very* good price for the I-93 and 1090 (cheaper than your I-66, probably). Too good to resist.

Let me know how they turn out (and good luck moving them).
                        Apparently they've only had a couple of hours use. They did sound nice through the Electrocompaniet gear.

Moving them was a bugger, though (100Kg each).

--Geoff

Comment

• Taito
                          • Sep 2004

Sounds like the guy has decided to pay off his mortgage instead . The 1090/I-93 combo wouldn't be given the role of 'second' in many people's homes! He had (has?) some serious equipment!

I look forward to hearing some sort of review. Until then, Cheers and enjoy!

-Ben

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"