X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tannista
    • Jun 2005

can my amp drive 4 ohm speakers?

Definately a noob question here, but I am trying to determine if my Nak AV8 can handle speakers rated at 4ohms, and if so how many can it handle.

Right now I have 2 8ohm speakers attached to it, but I am considering a DIY HT project to build a new set of 4ohm main speakers (a subwoofer and center channel to be added at a later date).

Can I use the 4ohms as mains, and relegate the current 8ohms speakers as rears in a HT setup or do I need to use either all 4ohm or all 8ohms?

If anyone can tell me how to calculate what my Nak can drive effectively. I'm certain based on the specs, it can drive 5 8ohm speakers, but beyond that simple scenario I'm a bit lost.

This is the info I have on my Nak.

High-Power Amplifier Section – 80W x 5 (8 ohms, 5 channels driven. 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.1% THD) or in stereo mode, 100W x 2
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If it will safely drive a 5-ohm speaker, I can't see that you would have a problem with a 4-ohm rated one unless you listen at high volume. Does the Nak get very warm when operating with your current speakers? That might be a warning sign.

As far as mixing the ohm-ratings of the speakers, I can't say with regard to the Nak. I have run 4- and 8-ohm mixes on my Yamaha RX-V1 without issues. Does someone you know have any 4-ohm speakers you could test with?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• tannista
      • Jun 2005

Thanks for the response David. No the nakamichi doesn't get warm when I run my current setup (2 b&w302 speakers rated at 8ohms). But I really don't push them very hard. My room is small so I don't need much to fill the room (12x16). As for knowing anyone with 4ohm speakers, no one springs to mind. Unless there is someone on this list reading that lives in the Sacramento CA area that has a pair they could loan me for a day or two

I'm thinking that I will go ahead and build my project and see how it does. if it doesn't work. I can always sell them on craigslist :P

I was thinking the NatP would be a good first project...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"