X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Bi Amping speakers with different ohm amps

Hi all, I am seeking opinions on whether it would be possible with my setup to biamp my front speakers. this is a difficult one (for me anyway)

I have a Sony Tan 9000es 5 channel amp (set in 5 channel mode which gives approx 115 watts x 5 @ 4 ohm setting)

I also own a Marantz Sr 8200 receiver (120watts x 6) and I use this as a processor only.

My Front speakers are Australian made Accusound DL860's rated at 125watt @6ohms and 90db.

I currently run the Sony amp in 4 ohm mode to 5 speakers because my front speakers are rated below 8 ohms.

What i need to know is can I bi amp my front 2 speakers by connecting the Marantz 8200 (rated @ 6-8ohms)to the front speaker tweeters in addition to the already connected Sony amp (which could then power only the woofers)

To get to the point what I need to know is, "will the different ohm settings on the amplifier and receiver cause a problem when powering my speakers in a bi amp arrangement." eg blow a speaker or amp?

As I am sure you can tell it gets a little confusing with different units at different settings or ratings and any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks Peter
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The impedance rating of a loudspeaker is a 'nominal' rating not a fixed rating. The impedance of a speaker varies with the frequency it's playing.

The rating of the amps are not fixed in stone. The ratings are based on the load (impedance) and the resulting power available when a load of a certain value is present.

Yes you can do what you propose.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• NeutralMAN
      • May 2005

I believe the varible ohms can be rectified with a Zobel and/ or impedance correction network. The Zobel will reduce the resonant peak close to the nominal value, and the impedance correction will lower the rising resisitance towards the high frequencies.

Hope I'm right??

NeutralMAN

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

Thomas will that work? Reason I ask is, if he uses the Marantz as a pre won't it bypass the amps in the Marantz? He would have to bring it back into the Marantz at some point right? I could be wrong about the Marantz. It might allow for both Pre and internal amps at the same time.

You are right about the differences and what is being drawn at a particular time. But
        I would have to break out the calculator and ohms law to make sure that there would not be a time (loud play when the kids are gone ETC) that you would not show below a 4 ohm load.

I would figure out the max load before I went out and got the impedance matching stuff.

That is just my 2 cents.
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Thanks guys for the replies thus far, more are welcomed.

Wow, NeutralMan thanks for that info,either you are a genius or you are
          pulling my leg.
          (Joking) Sounds like you really know your stuff, but it is all a bit
          beyond my level of Hi Fi knowledge. Never heard of a Zobel ?
          but I am learning more everyday. LOL thanks, I will keep it in mind.

Thomasw, I see what you mean. The impedance will vary possibly a
          lot. I guess all that matters is how low does it go? and will it damage my
          amp/receiver when bi amped?

You rekon it will work ok, so I will give it a go. Fingers crossed, LOL.
          I will give an update on what happens and if there is any improvement in
          sound quality or any problems in case others are considering a similar
          setup.

That is provided my house doesn't burn to the ground first, LOL

Thanks guys, Peter

Comment

• Dlite
            • Mar 2005

Hi Peter,
            If you are looking for an improvement in sound. I highly recommend you get another power amp at least for your front 2 channels. It will make a big difference. But of course this all depends on how much money you want to spend, if any.

I have a couple of power amps for sale, and am from Sydney as well, if your interested message me.

Cheers
            Michael

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"