X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcoyken22
    • Jan 2009

A true beginner in need of alot of answers

I am looking to start build a more advanced HT, I currently have a avr, a 5.1 jbl setup, and a 46 inch samsung lcd. First of all I would like to build my own speakers, I have the tools and wood working ability, just need to do a ton more research. Here is basically what I need to know.

1. I have a jl W7 13.5 from a car setup that I am no longer using, I would like to build this into a ht sub if at all possible. I do not know what kind of amp is required, nor do I know if I need some sort of equalizer for the sub.

2. I currently have a hk avr, but plan on upgrading to a onkyo 705 or 805. what I really need to know is how people add amps to there system, the whole pre-amp and regular amplifier have me all confused. The speakers I would build would require more power than what the onkyo could pump out, would it be a good idea to just amp the two main speakers and let the rest run from the avr, or whats my best option here.

3. All of the processing will take place at my avr correct? I am looking to set up a 7.1 system over hdmi 1.3 (for blu-ray audio) and im not sure if amps play into this at all.

4. I plan to use a design from one of these sites but the main thing im worried about are the crossovers....that will be interesting.

Thanks in advance
  • BeerParty
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mcoyken22
    2. I currently have a hk avr, but plan on upgrading to a onkyo 705 or 805. what I really need to know is how people add amps to there system, the whole pre-amp and regular amplifier have me all confused. The speakers I would build would require more power than what the onkyo could pump out, would it be a good idea to just amp the two main speakers and let the rest run from the avr, or whats my best option here.
    Sounds like you are jumping to an assumption there. I suggest that once you have a speaker picked out, start a build thread and then ask what you will need for equipment. The Onkyo 705 or 805 is well respected around here, so if you say that is your starting point, you should be able to get some good feedback on what else you will need.

Since you are planning a home built sub, you will need an amp for that at a minimum, but I'll bet you could just start with the Onkyo for the rest.

3. All of the processing will take place at my avr correct? I am looking to set up a 7.1 system over hdmi 1.3 (for blu-ray audio) and im not sure if amps play into this at all.
    Depends on what you mean by "all of the processing"... :roll:

If you mean "Does the Onkyo accept the audio signal over HDMI 1.3 and generate the 7.1 audio streams for my individual speakers?" then yes, it does.

4. I plan to use a design from one of these sites but the main thing im worried about are the crossovers....that will be interesting.
    If you want to do it yourself, there is plenty of help available (with lots of pictures) for a bunch of speaker projects in the DIY forum. If you start a build you can ask questions anytime you get stuck.
    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

Lots of questions.
      The Receiver will do the processing for you and has a built in amp, so you don't have to have any other amps, unless you want to, or yes, unless your speakers are very power hungry. It depends on what your speakers need to drive them and how much money you like to spend, but typically, the amp section in the 705 and 805 will drive almost any speaker loud enough to make you deaf. I wouldn't worry about any amps now, just use the Onkyo and see how you like it.
      As far as speaker design, there is a specific area to post that under where you will get much better feedback.

Rolyasm

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"