X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cort
    • Dec 2010

Corts mini statement build

Merry Christmas, I am so impressed by the performance of my knew speakers that I have to share the build. I learned a lot from this forum, yet the build is rather unconventional.
    I have been looking at this tree for a while now, Thinking I need to build something. Really nice spiraled grain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	speakers 027.JPG Views:	2867 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	870449

Speakers? A little google. I found the statement series. Right size with a crossover I could understand. Then I grabbed a couple of logs and split them apart and glued them back together and OMFG I had built a really nice drum. Then I thought an acoustic instrument made from solid wood sounds better than one made from pergo. Looking at the tree, I would have to cure it with colored epoxy, so that would have to wait for summer. plus that is a 100 plus hour cabinet build. Need to prototype. just so happens that I have a few scaffold planks that have been sitting in the loft of a sun room I built 8 years ago. So I designed a cabinet that was based on volume, available wood, resonant frequency's and the frequency of the musical notes. So when I put these things together

Click image for larger version  Name:	speakers 002.JPG Views:	2851 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	870450

I tapped and twisted the braces around a bit as I clamped it together using ratchet straps, also made sure that none of the braces of the mid port are in the same place. The maker in the deal though was the use of Gorilla Glue, Wetted both surfaces, apply a bead to both, wait 10 minutes and clamp it together, It grows and doubles the effective size of the joint. seals all cracks etc..

I am also real happy with the decision to put the crossovers on the bottom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	speakers 023.JPG Views:	2762 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	870452

Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers 022.JPG
Views:	930
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	870453

Click image for larger version  Name:	speakers 016.JPG Views:	2831 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	870451

I had alot of fun cutting all the holes with the router. the circle jig i made from a piece of pergo. Comment and I'll finish

Peace
    Cort
    Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 21:57 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

We're very glad you're enjoying the Mini's. :T

Jim

Comment

• Cort
      • Dec 2010

Thanks Jim, Here here are the boxes stuffed

Name:	minis stuufed.JPG
Views:	2835
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	855589

AND COMPLETE

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	2855
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	855587

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	2837
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	855586

The sound quality far exceeded my expectations last night I was listening to some recent live recordings from the Black Crowes and Phish off the sirius jam_on channel and it felt and sounded like I was there. only complaint is that they are not as loud. Then on to female vocals, incredibly emotional is all I can say Alison Krauss's "God dipped his pen of love in my heart" caused a tear or two and Janis Joplins "Oh lord wont you buy me ...." sent a chill down my spine.

How many more db should I expect from the emo upa5 over the HK avr 500 (100 wpc into 4 ohms)?
      and what is the best preamp?
      i need to upgrade to HDMI

now on to the next project

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	2815
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	855588

Do you think the Statements would work in a ~ 9.5x10.75x60" box internal, (80 liter net) built from this tree?
      Cort
      Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 22:01 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dsrviola
        • Oct 2007

very cool

Comment

• Face
          • Mar 2007

That poor bird!
          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Cort
            • Dec 2010

Thats Rufus, he is a European starling I found as a fleglidling not a 100 yards from this tree 8 years ago. rumor has it that mozart had one of these in a cage next to his piano. Rufus sings to the blues and hates metal.
            peace
            Cort

Name:	039.JPG
Views:	967
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	855593
            Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 22:01 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Cort
              • Dec 2010

During my mini statement build I got to thinking what if I were to design a speaker box to be a musical instrument, planning to build a statement center anyway. I came up with this.

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	7120
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	855597

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	2735
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	855598

This box covers 1 octave uniformly with braces and ends to the sides of the cabinet. 1-2 kHz, with an additional octave across behind the tweet tunnel. All cuts are compound mitered at 5 degrees. 40 liters net volume.
              Then I did this

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	2756
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	855599

No one will ever set their cocktail on my speaker again..
              Plus now if i rotate the tweeter to be near vertical I'll be on axis for all listening positions in the room. Up close sitting on the floor in front of the wood stove, back 10 feet couched, back 20 seated at the dinning table, and 35 feet away standing in the kitchen.
              Wouldn't it be beautiful with a sitka spuce top and mahogany back and sides?
              Another experiment......
              I will let you know the outcome in a few days.....
              Peace, Cort
              Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 22:03 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Cort
                • Dec 2010

I had not even thought about bi amping until I started reading the manual for the onkyo ht-rc270 that showed up on the porch yesterday. So I went ahead and biamped my new "minis", ran the audyssey eq thing and wow!!!!
                The crossover adjustments I thought I was going to have to make, it did better than I could have in 1/1000th the time.

Now what do I do with the emo upa-5? The speakers are now breaking up before the amp does. plus at 75 lbs, I have not made a home for it yet.

Peace Cort

Comment

• FroDaddy
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Cort
                  Do you think the Statements would work in a ~ 9.5x10.75x60" box internal, (80 liter net) built from this tree?
                  Cort
                  Mine are about 90L; can't comment on the second part of the question regarding the tree

Comment

• tktran
                    • Jan 2005

Oh no.

After looking at that live tree and now realising it's a dead speaker, I think all my future speakers will be made of MDF and painted household white or black.

Comment

• Trompie
                      • Dec 2010

Hi Cort, its nice to see what one can do with the right tools (ore at least if you know someone). They sure will look unique.

@ tktran I believe the tree that Cort used was already dead for a few years (according to what I can make out in the pics).

I`m also considering using solid wood for my D.I.Y. project.

Trompie

Comment

• Cort
                        • Dec 2010

I just don't like the smell of MDF... The tree has been dead a long time... here in New Mexico I can take anything that is dead or down from the national forest for firewood. In this case I wood cut 6' sections and take it to a saw mill to be made into boards. However if the "live" cabinet works then I will forget about the tree and order some mahogany off the internet. The thing is I am an experimentalist at heart, this is the day job, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_laser
                        rev 1 is a work in progress, rev 2 is coming along nicely, and rev3 ??? your guys input is appreciated!!
                        peace
                        Cort
                        Last edited by Cort; 31 December 2010, 11:55 Friday.

Comment

• Cort
                          • Dec 2010

Could someone give me some ideas as to how to stuff /pad this tetrahedral cabinet???
                          Thanks
                          Cort

Comment

• Cort
                            • Dec 2010

I got a box of crossover components today for my "mini center" and it was rather heavy, seems I ordered the 16 ga erse 4.7 mH super q's instead of the 18. looking at the erse and PE websites I can't even find the 18 ga inductor listed. Am I missing something?
                            Do I understand correctly if I assume 50 watts per RS180 and 6 ohm load, using P=I^2R I get that the 16 ga (dcr=.231) uses 1.925 W and the 18 ga (dcr=.441)
                            uses 3.67 W for difference of 1.75 Watts. so it shouldn't be noticeable? Am I correct??

Also have noticed that the 1 ohm resistor in the mid xover is getting pretty hot. should I replace it with 2-2 ohm resistors in parallel?

Comment

• BOBinGA
                              • Mar 2009

If the one ohm resistor is getting hot, definitely use 2 2 ohms in parallel or use a 25 watt 1 ohm. Also double check your wiring and make sure you don't have something accidentally shorted out causing the high current through the resistor.

I wouldn't think that the .2 ohm difference in the inductors should make any audible difference, but wait and see what Curt has to say.

-Bob
                              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Cort
                                • Dec 2010

Finally got the drivers in for the center yesterday.

Name:	220.JPG
Views:	2295
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	855702

Name:	218.JPG
Views:	2337
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	855703

The new family together for a photo

Name:	215.JPG
Views:	2283
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	855704

I am really enjoying the new mini's, many thanks to Jim and Curt.
                                Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 22:06 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Curt C
                                  • Feb 2005

Nicely done Cort!

I like the exposed crossover in the side of the center. I don't know why, exactly, but maybe the juxtaposition of the industrial look of the crossover paired with the somehow rustic looking solid wood cabs...

C
                                  Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Fishy
                                    • Jul 2004

Might also be that the crossovers have been laid out nicely.

Just wish I had the space and talent to create such a build.

Fish

Comment

• BeerParty
                                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Cort

Click image for larger version  Name:	218.JPG Views:	2250 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	855703
                                      Exposed artistic crossovers, fantastic idea. Very nice work, my friend.
                                      Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 22:08 Sunday. Reason: Fix quote
                                      Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                                      My AviaTrix Build

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"