X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    • Jan 2009

BigguyZ's MiniStatement Build Thread

Hello!

OK, I'm set on going with the Statements (well, the mini's at least) for my mains in my new audio setup. These are replacing my D'Appollito Audax set that I built some time ago.... 5-7 years, I think. Anyways, I still need to build the center channel for that set, then I can sell them to fund the rest of this build.

Although the sale of my current speakers will fund these, I want to build the cabinets for the fronts first, so once I sell my current set I can immediately use that to buy the drivers and x-overs right away. I want as little "down time" as possible. So I'm in the planning stages at the moment.

Now, on to my thoughts regarding the cabinets. I'm looking for these to be top-of-the-line in quality, and plan on learning from my mistakes with my previous set to do a better job on this new set. Also, I don't plan on making another pair (for myself, at least) for a long time. Therefore, and maybe this is just plain nuts, I'd like to construct the cabinet out of two layers of 3/4" MDF on all sides. I want these to be heavy suckers, and solid as a rock.

One of the first changes to the original design is to remove the base that the speaker sits on. I checked, and was advised that I can have the port be located at the rear of the speaker, as far away form the woofer as possible. So, in order to maintain the same internal volume and the same overall cabinet height, I'm making the following adjustments.

Looking at the diagram for the mini's, and not taking into consideration the braces, I see that the internal dimension originally is 8.5 by 37.5 by 11.75. That gives a total internal volume of 3745.34 cubic inches.

If I extend the height of the cabinet down to where the base would have originally been, and if I don't worry about an additional 1.5 inches in overall height, I can make the internal dimensions 7.0 by 40.5 by 13.2. That would give me an internal volume of 3742.2 inches.

Would the 3 cubic inch difference affect much? And how concerned do I need to be with the volume of the braces?

Thanks!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There's basically a 10% 'fudge factor' when it comes to ported boxes, so don't sweat the small stuff...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

Is there any concern that the width would be too narrow? That's the only thing Id be worried about. Of course, the back of the baffle will be chamfered, and the foam will be cut to allow clearance, but I want to make sure I'm not constricting the sides too much.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You're not giving the woofers much room to breath. How about keeping the 8.5 ID and doubled wall construction but bevel the sides (do facets) so you don't change the 10" width?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Excellent idea Thomas! :T

Jim

Comment

• BigguyZ
            • Jan 2009

Sorry, but I can't picutre what you mean....

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Bevel the front edge of the side pieces so the width goes from 10" wide to 11.5" wide

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• BigguyZ
                • Jan 2009

I was actually planning on using my 1-1/4" rounover instead. I prefer that look, so if 7" ID would be too small, maybe I'll just double up on the front/back/top/bottom....
                Last edited by BigguyZ; 25 February 2009, 21:17 Wednesday. Reason: wrong router bit size...

Comment

• vinceb
                  • Apr 2005

I'll just chime in that the cabs are very solid as-is. I was tapping on mine last night and they do quite well in the tap-test except maybe one area kind of between the woofers that could probably use a cross-dowel. The cabs are quite a handful when building when they are one layer, I kind of tweaked my wrist with one of them, better bring friends to help you flip them around for finishing

I built the Audax set too, these are in a different league. You will enjoy these!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"