Eight things you need to know from CES 2013...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Eight things you need to know from CES 2013...

OK, this title is a bit presumptuous, but I found the original article/page very interesting, and came upon it only by happenstance in the course of a tangentially related search.

Can most of us even remember eight things of any consequence or not at all from this year's CES? Yet, I've been to quite a few CES conventions, and generally find them quite interesting, though of late the RMAF (running this last weekend in Denver again) has replaced it for "hands on/ears on" experiences with new stuff.

Now, one of those eight things caught my eye particularly, and actually was the reason I came across this blog:

Click image for larger version

Name:	201302_ayre_zpsee4c7028.png
Views:	28
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	939364

3. Ayre Acoustics’ VX-5 ($7950) could better the $20,000-$40,000 Burmesters and darTZeels. It kills me when I read the audio forums and see that a poster is shopping for an amp “in the $25,000 price range” -- the natural assumption being that if it costs that much, it must be better than anything costing less. This is the great lie of our industry, and consumers swallow it hook, line, and sinker. We need to challenge this conventional thinking. For example, Ayre Acoustics’ new VX-5 stereo amplifier (175Wpc into 8 ohms, 350Wpc into 4 ohms) costs “only” $7950. The darTZeel NHB-108 costs more than twice that (the most recent price reference I could find online was $18,200), and Burmester’s 911 Mk.3 is almost four times as much, at 30 grand. The interesting question is why. Are Hervé Delétraz (of darTZeel) and Dieter Burmester more talented circuit designers than Ayre’s Charles Hansen? Are the parts they use better than Ayre’s? OK, the darTZeel and Burmester do look a bit fancier on the outside. I’m sorry to pick on the fine-sounding darTZeel and Burmester -- there are others just as deserving -- but we know that the exchange rates for foreign currencies affect the prices of those brands (Burmester is in Germany, darTZeel in Switzerland), which must shoulder the additional costs of hiring a North American distributor or setting up their own office Stateside. These facts of business inflate the prices beyond the usual costs of manufacturing -- we all know this. What gets me, however, is that most audiophiles still assume that the more expensive product is automatically better. I do believe this is starting to change, partly because products like Ayre’s VX-5 are just too strong to ignore, even in the face of much more expensive challengers.

Do thoughts like these mark a swing over to a somewhat more rational viewpoint in high end? Hard to say, and certainly not an outlook that is universally shared. But it's good to see the situation called out for what it is...

Of course, they had something interesting to say about speakers, too....

(some of us think of Magico as the Tesla of commercial loudspeakers... or is it Tesla is the Magico of Electric Vehicles?)

Name:	201302_q1_675w_zpsca83d7fd.png
Views:	23
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	939365

6. Magico is the company to beat in the over-$10,000 loudspeaker market. When Magico announced the all-aluminum, high-tech-drivered, 120-pound S1 loudspeaker ($12,600/pair), available in several cool colors, you could almost hear a collective, “Ah, crap!” from Magico’s competitors. When the S1 was demonstrated at CES 2013, that concern was confirmed. It sounded great. In the past few years, Magico has introduced model after model, each with market-segment-leading performance, better build quality, and at ever-improving prices than any of the other five-figure loudspeaker makers. Like ’em or hate ’em, you can’t ignore ’em. Magico seems to pull manufacturing and finishing capability out of thin air, and their engineering is first rate. Even if you don’t want to own a pair, you can’t help but be impressed by what the company has accomplished. And now I hear they have a new factory opening in a couple of months . . .

Can we have a show of hands of all of you who have heard a Magico speaker system? C'mon now, don't be bashful.... Hmmm?

I see. well, maybe you guys need to get out a little more....

The last extract of note is number 8....

think about the NAD M51 or M50 when you read this...

8. Some of the best costs less. OK, show of hands: Who thinks that the latest-generation KEF Uni-Q driver contains more engineering and technology than the midrange and tweeter of your present speaker? One more question: Do you think there’s any possibility it might sound better than such-and-such boutique brand at ten times the price? If you answered no to these questions, then I recommend you get out more and really listen. Depending on your budget and what you currently own, you might be really excited or really heartbroken by what you hear. If you’re in the latter camp, that’s why we have Audiogon. Either way, see Blogs above.

Which should take you back to the notion that the thing to do is listen, compare, evaluate, and go for the value.... there's a lot out there these days, if you look in the right places.

And I have heard some of those KEF's, and recommended them to friends who can hardly DIY setting up their HT systems... much less build a speaker.

But you know, even though I hardly need to build a new speaker system these days, this new concentric driver set from Seas has really got my pulse pounding....

Name:	c18en001_m.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	939366

Name:	C18EN001-back.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	939367
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 14:17 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Some of the best values in speakers over the past 5 or so years around the $7k - $12k have incorporated concentric hi & mid drivers.
    As Jon noted, the KEF implementation has been garnishing high accolades.

This offering from Seas has every DIY speaker designer literally drooling.

Originally posted by The Maestro
    Can we have a show of hands of all of you who have heard a Magico speaker system? C'mon now, don't be bashful.... Hmmm?

I see. well, maybe you guys need to get out a little more....
    My hand is down since I too, have yet to experience the Magico mano a 'speako'.

Dan & I have taken just a few rod trips over the past few years in order to audition equipment.
    We realize it can be V hard for a lot of folks, but I recommend you never pass should the opportunity arise.
    I have learned more from the few trips we took than all the magazine articles & forum posts I have ever read in my entire life.

While at times it seemed quite overwhelming, the greatest learning experience I have ever had was our recent trip to the Capital Audiofest. We saw & heard so much in such a short period of time my head & my ears were spinning. For a time I was wondering why I was even bothering cuz I knew there was so much I would simply never remember. It was becoming impossible to make rational comparisons of one set-up next to another. But as we discussed the show on the way home, and even weeks later, certain things seemed to always come to the forefront as each of us made our own rationalizations of what we had heard.
    Four things standout for me:

ONE: Some equipment we expected great things from was in fact quite disappointing. These were brands that we had not yet heard but have been heralded with high praise & high standing both in cost & general consensus of exceptional performance. Maybe it was a bad room. Maybe it was less than adequate source material, format or implementation. Maybe the ‘expert’ who set the system up was not quite as ‘expert’ as they thought. Maybe it was bad Karma. Maybe it is effective marketing? Whatever it was, one thing we were all able to agree on was that if more potential exists for some of this stuff, you were not going to get it in a hotel conference room or suite on those two days.

TWO: Some equipment was mind altering. It was like a Houdini act. No matter how much your brain tried to tell you there was not a real person in the room singing and/or playing a real musical instrument you never could pull the curtain to reveal the wizard. Systems like we heard in the Tidal room were obviously some of the best money could buy. & trust me, you would need a whole lot of money for any of these 1 percent’er type systems. As surreal as the experience was listening to them, so too is the price of admission to owning such equipment.

THREE: There is some really good equipment out there, & it does not cost an arm, a leg & one third of your 401k. When we stepped into the Odyssey Audio room they had a complete system consisting of CDp, pre-amp, amp & speakers with a total retail cost of under $6k that was competitive with just about any other offering at the show. In fact it down right beat the stink’n crap out many systems 3x its price. Then there were the $23k 2-way bookshelves with their $3k stands……..WTF!
    The bottom line was V clear, there are some products out there that simply sound Effen awesome for not a lot of $.

FOUR: Probably the most surprising thing we learned was that our own systems are actually pretty darn good compared to some of better ones there. It seems with careful, judicious selection on a realistic budget one can build a system that delivers V good sound reproduction. Yes, there was some incredible gear & some amazing systems assembled there, but when we got home to our humble systems, we found little to be disappointed in.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 19 October 2013, 15:48 Saturday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Finleyville
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
      FOUR: Probably the most surprising thing we learned was that our own systems are actually pretty darn good compared to some of better ones there. It seems with careful, judicious selection on a realistic budget one can build a system that delivers V good sound reproduction. Yes, there was some incredible gear & some amazing systems assembled there, but when we got home to our humble systems, we found little to be disappointed in.
      I'll get there one day.....one day.
      BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"