X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

Need some build recs.

I have two friends that want speakers and I was looking for some good build recommendations because I haven't quite decided which designs to go for yet.

Build 1:
    Floorstanding speaker for a relatively small bedroom - I was thinking a 6" driver in a 2-way configuration. Similar to the Copper-Project at PE, but not as expensive.
    Budget for drivers and XO: $200.

Build 2:
    Floorstanding or bookshelf speaker for a bedroom - Thinking a 7-8" driver in a 2-way or a 2.5-way using two 5" drivers. Tritrix is being considered but I'm looking for some other suggestions.
    Budget for drivers and XO: $190.

Thanks.

edit: Really, I'd love to build something different than what I've built already:
    + North Seas
    + Tritrix MTM (TL)
    + Overnight Sensations MT.

edit2: I still have those C-Audio metal tweeters (pair of Al and pair of Ti) if somebody thinks making a design out of those is a good idea.

edit3: Hmmm, perhaps an RS150 or RS180 2-way for the first and an RS180 or RS225 2-way for the second? Just thoughts...

edit4: Paul's Amiga is mighty tasty looking for builds 1 and 2. This is for a college student, though, I don't know if the Amiga will go loud enough for build 2... He wants "teh bass".
    Last edited by numberoneoppa; 04 August 2010, 02:08 Wednesday.
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.
  • peepaj
    • Jan 2009

I know I'm a newbie and this is my first post here. I did build the overnight sensations designed by Paul Carmody, here's his web site http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy . You might want to check it out. I can say that the O.S's sound very good, in fact after my wife heard them she wants a pair for the dining room first and another pair to replace the boston cr65's in the kitchen. I am trying to talk her in to letting me build one of his other designs. (will see) but for now the parts are ordered for next pair OS's. Let us know what you decide to built.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

I have also built the OS before, and while fine for a small desk speaker, they're not quite big enough (and don't deliver the low-end response I'm looking for). The OS MTM would be considered as it is better at handling higher SPLs, but the FS is still pretty high.

Edit: Considering the Swope MTM, Swope MT and Sietecerocero MTM a bit... though they all seem best paired with a sub, which I won't be using...

흠..
      -Josh

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by numberoneoppa
        edit4: Paul's Amiga is mighty tasty looking for builds 1 and 2. This is for a college student, though, I don't know if the Amiga will go loud enough for build 2... He wants "teh bass".
        Yeah, I think you should try the Amiga for at least one of them. They sound surprisingly huge. The F3 is pretty darn low for a 2-way; the weakness is the xmech of the RS180. If memory serves me, it's somewhere around 96-97 dB; this, of course, will be the "speed limit" of any RS180 design (using a single driver, anyway). I think it's about on-par with a lot of 7" woofers, though. The big eyebrow raiser for me, though, was when I realized that the Scan-Speak 8545K is roughly the same size, but will go all the way to 103 dB on its own! :E Now that's excursion! (I wonder if the Usher clones can get there, too?) But I digress....
        If your buddy wants 'teh bass' in terms of extension, something liek the Amiga should satisfy. If he wants more SPL, you'll want to look into an 8" woofer. 8" 2-ways are not very common nowadays--though you yourself have built one.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Thanks for the reply, Paul. Why aren't you sleeping at this hour?

On the Amigas, what kind of juice would be necessary to power 'em?

I would like to build something like the North Seas again, but unfortunately, the parts are currently not available and similar designs cost a good penny more.

I've got about 2 weeks before I order parts - lots of time to think.
          -Josh

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Build #2, build these:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=35905 - build the MTM. Parts come in at $147. Same midwoofers as Curt is using in his AviaTrix. Great speaker. And it would be a CJD cross over, so something different. And easy to drive by inexpensive receivers.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• mackintire
              • Jan 2009

Yep.... Either what K said or curts Avaitrix TL....which I am not sure where the plans are for?

Another option would be Overnight Sensations MTM....which you could later add the subwoofer from the swoop HT.

Comment

• Undefinition
                • Dec 2006

On the Amigas, what kind of juice would be necessary to power 'em?
                I think just about anything would power them. They're a pretty easy load for any amp. I've played them on T-amps and HT receivers. Like most speakers, I think they'd probably sound their best on an amp with lots of headroom. But really, whatever you've got is fine.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                  • Sep 2009

Thanks Paul. So what do you think plays louder, the Sietecerocero MTM or the Amiga? They both have nearly identical woofer surface area, but the Amiga has more Xmax.

edit: I just worked up a complete BOM for 2 pair of Amiga including veneer, finish, brushes, parts, MDF, glue, 2 router bits, the whole nine yards, and it comes up to 650 dollars. This is about 80 dollars less than anticipated... High five PE for the volume discounts! I've already convinced one friend on this build, let's see what the other thinks. Building 4 Amigas definitely sounds like fun!

BOM for two speakers and "stuff" attached (.xlsx - Excel 2007/2010). I'm excited. (edit: updated Aug 06)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by numberoneoppa; 06 August 2010, 03:58 Friday.
                  -Josh

Comment

• Undefinition
                    • Dec 2006

Thanks Paul. So what do you think plays louder, the Sietecerocero MTM or the Amiga? They both have nearly identical woofer surface area, but the Amiga has more Xmax.
                    Not sure, but one thing I can tell you is that they probably sound pretty different. CJD and I voice things differently. And don't get me wrong, I really do like his stuff--I've heard most of it (not the Sietecerocero, though). It's just that he and I have different goals in mind when it comes to getting music to sound "right." Chris has an ENORMOUS music collection of stuff that was recorded really well. So when he voices, he's aiming for something that--when paired with a high-quality recording--emulates reality. Me, most of my music collection is stuff that's full of production; studio tricks abound. So I often just want to bring out the most that I can from these recordings. I want to dive into the sound and swim around, just have it envelop me (that sounds totally artsy-fartsy, but I can't think of another way to say it right now). Hence, my designs often sound very "large." Some people don't like it, but many others do. Either way, it's OK; tastes differ. I'm just glad I have the ability to design and build stuff that sounds "right" to me.

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Paul,
                      I'm actually glad that you posted that. I was going to post something yesterday, but couldn't find a good way to say it. CJD strives for accuracy above all, clarity and detail - even if it exposes some warts within the recordings. (I really shouldn't put words into his mouth.) I've really enjoy it, but can see how others would prefer something different.

EDIT: The Sietecerocero or Ochocinco or whatever were calling them, don't quite have the emphasis on accuracy and detail of other CJD designs, because of the budget. They are a little bit more of a rocking speaker. But, they would still sound different than yours. I would love to hear them next to an Aviatrix, to hear the different voicing styles. It may or may not be big... don't know.

Paul, one of these days, we need to get together again.
                      Last edited by ---k---; 09 August 2010, 14:23 Monday.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• mischmat
                        • Feb 2010

These have always caught my eye for a small footprint speaker that is rather inexpensive.

Comment

• moosespeaker
                          • Apr 2008

I built the Cinderella's as my first DIY build based on Paul's (undefinition) comments on his home page. Cost in June 2008 was about $280 IIRC. If you go to the PE forum and look for moosespeaker (go to albums) there are a few pix of the build and finished speakers. I am very pleased with their sound.

George

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"