X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Denon DVD-A1UD

Just read about this thing and found it interesting. BD/SACD/DVD-A all in one with balanced outputs and the whole nine yards. Pricey, but pretty cool to see someone do it.

-Chuck
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by impala454
    BD/SACD/DVD-A all in one with balanced outputs and the whole nine yards. Pricey, but pretty cool to see someone do it.

Very nice indeed, Oppo will have the same except the price $499-$999 and it will be all digital transport no analogue let your pre amp do the heavy lifting:T

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Yea..i think ill stay with Oppo...but good luck Denon. You market is really only people who dont know about Oppo.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
        Yea..i think ill stay with Oppo...but good luck Denon. You market is really only people who dont know about Oppo.
        You have to admit the Denon looks nice I wished Oppo would get a designer to make their players look better. Check out the Emotiva ERC-1 CD player looks nice and is very competitive

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Yeah I must admit I don't keep up with the players much. Thought about the Emotiva CD player (I'm on the UMC-1 pre-order list), but figured I'd rather have some kind of all-in one. This Denon isn't something that's in my budget, but I thought it was cool enough to post.

When does the Oppo all-in-one come out?
          -Chuck

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Here's a picture of the ugly OPPO.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Very interesting. Will be watching this product.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I have yet to read anything about the Oppo being able to play DVD-A. The Denon does have the edge there.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes
                  I have yet to read anything about the Oppo being able to play DVD-A. The Denon does have the edge there.
                  Oppo Blu Ray will not play DVD Audio and it's not a bad thing DVD Audio (700 disks) is dead unlike SACDs 5301 discs which continues to be released by many labels, Linn records, Telarc, Pentatone, Channel Classic, 2L.....

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Sony wins again? (this time)
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I thought the Oppo was undetermined if it would play DVD-A or not. I can't understand why DVD-A licensing would be so much extra when you already need all the features of it for DVD playback.

Comment

• Z Man
                        • Jan 2008

If this new Denon universal player is everything that it's supposed to be, I'm getting me one. I love that it will play SACD, DVD-A, and that it's a fully balanced design. Also looking forward to trying out Denon Link 4.

Seth
                        My Martin Logan Theater
                        My DVD Collection
                        My CD Collection

Comment

• Miyuki
                          • Nov 2008

Denon should strip off all those expensive DA converters and output DenonLink and HDMI only to drastically reduce the price. For AVP/POA owners it is a great waste needing to pay for redundant AD converters.

Thus, I will wait for a HDMI only DVD-A1.
                          Miyuki
                          :brunette:

Comment

• Miyuki
                            • Nov 2008

Ad = Da
                            Miyuki
                            :brunette:

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner

As the owner of some Marantz gear , I'm not seein' the ugly.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• crytklmass
                                • Dec 2008

maybe its best to purchase the DVD-3800BDCI and buy a pioneer elite blu ray player?
                                BOB

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                                  As the owner of some Marantz gear , I'm not seein' the ugly.
                                  Neither am I. It looks pretty good to me!

Nigel.

Comment

• btf1980
                                    • Aug 2007

Unless you're using the analog outs on the player, this is a complete waste of time and money. I hope people don't buy this only to bitstream the lossless codecs.

Denon should release an updated profile 2.0 transport similar to the 2500BTCI, but with SACD and DVD-A playback capabilities. I really don't see the point of this player. If you have the money to buy this, you most likely already have a beefy pre/pro that can handle decoding etc. If you don't, maybe you should be upgrading your pre/pro instead of buying sources that are close to 4K.
                                    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                                      Unless you're using the analog outs on the player, this is a complete waste of time and money. I hope people don't buy this only to bitstream the lossless codecs.

Denon should release an updated profile 2.0 transport similar to the 2500BTCI, but with SACD and DVD-A playback capabilities. I really don't see the point of this player. If you have the money to buy this, you most likely already have a beefy pre/pro that can handle decoding etc. If you don't, maybe you should be upgrading your pre/pro instead of buying sources that are close to 4K.
                                      I think that's exactly the point of this player. Many people have a good, but older pre/pro that lacks HDMI, so they can't utilize HD audio whether decoded LPCM or undecoded bitstream. This player fills the gap and handles SACD and DVD-A. I do agree that it's overpriced, and one might be better served investing in a new pre/pro. At least one that can accept MCh LPCM over HDMI, which if paired with Oppo, gives you everything via HDMI.
                                      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Miyuki
                                        Denon should strip off all those expensive DA converters and output DenonLink and HDMI only to drastically reduce the price. For AVP/POA owners it is a great waste needing to pay for redundant AD converters.

Thus, I will wait for a HDMI only DVD-A1.
                                        I wholeheartedly agree with this.
                                        :T

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                          Oppo Blu Ray will not play DVD Audio and it's not a bad thing DVD Audio (700 disks) is dead unlike SACDs 5301 discs which continues to be released by many labels, Linn records, Telarc, Pentatone, Channel Classic, 2L.....
                                          I stand corrected Oppo will support DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu Ray, DVD, CD forget the Denon..it's overpriced :T

Comment

• brodricj
                                            • Aug 2008

I paid $4k for a Denon DVD 5000 10 years ago and I've had good use out of it. In comparison, to pay $5k for DVD A1UD represents outstanding value.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by brodricj
                                              I paid $4k for a Denon DVD 5000 10 years ago and I've had good use out of it. In comparison, to pay $5k for DVD A1UD represents outstanding value.
                                              Care to qualify that statement? I can think of a lot of superlatives here and value is not one of them. I don't see any specs for what is actually in this thing, so how can you even know if it's worth $5K?
                                              Santino

Comment

• Z Man
                                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by brodricj
                                                In comparison, to pay $5k for DVD A1UD represents outstanding value.
                                                Originally posted by littlesaint
                                                I don't see any specs for what is actually in this thing, so how can you even know if it's worth $5K?
                                                Actually its msrp is $3800 USD.
                                                My Martin Logan Theater
                                                My DVD Collection
                                                My CD Collection

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Z Man
                                                  Actually its msrp is $3800 USD.
                                                  Source?
                                                  Santino

Comment

• brodricj
                                                    • Aug 2008

$3800 msrp, oh really, even better value still. Actually there are some specs to hand: s/n ratio 125db, THD <0.0008%, AL32 bit processing, 192kHz DA on all channels etc etc. Given it will be a Denon flagship product, and given the pedigree of Denon's previous flagship products going back 10+ years, I think it's fair to assume that the performance and build quality of this machine (18.9 kg) should be up there with the best of the best. To me it represents outstanding value at that price point. Particularly if it means I don't need to upgrade my pre/pro to get the latest HD sound codecs.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                                      Source?
                                                      hows about an official denon press release :B

Every detail of a Denon audio product is crafted with a single goal in mind: to enhance the entertainment experience. Build your home theater here.

theres also this brief overview from audioholics

Since Blu-ray hit the scene, one question has been on the lips of every serious Audioholic - When are we going to see a true universal player? Denon has the answer - February 2009. The DVD-A1UDCI

with ces in a weeks or so time likely to see a lot more info on the thing.

given the $3500 rrp of the previous 5910 flagship dont actually think the $300 premium is much more to pay for this flagship universal especially given it throws in a better dac stage, the new jitter free denon link 4, and true balanced dual differntial design and xlr outputs.
                                                      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Z Man
                                                        • Jan 2008

Just found out what DAC's will be used in the DVD-A1UD. They are AKM AK4399 32-bit DAC's. These are so new that they are not yet listed on AKM's website. They are "supposed" to have a 126dB SNR & -105 THD+N.

Here is a Denon DVD-A1UD product sheet (in Chinese)

Seth
                                                        My Martin Logan Theater
                                                        My DVD Collection
                                                        My CD Collection

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Very cool IMO. Be nice to use with some hi end "out of date" pros. Krell etc.
                                                          B&W

Comment

• crytklmass
                                                            • Dec 2008

If you look in the right places you can buy the new DVD-3800BDCI for $1300.00 just lift a few rocks..lol anyone paying full price needs to send there equipment to me for psychotherapy. lol but is denon the best? or sony? or pioneer elite? hmmmm who wins the best video award. and the best audio award. maybe its 2 separates instead of an all in one.
                                                            BOB

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by crytklmass
                                                              If you look in the right places you can buy the new DVD-3800BDCI for $1300.00 just lift a few rocks..lol anyone paying full price needs to send there equipment to me for psychotherapy. lol but is denon the best? or sony? or pioneer elite? hmmmm who wins the best video award. and the best audio award. maybe its 2 separates instead of an all in one.
                                                              That is true for all Japaneses or Korean brands more difficult with US, European or Canadian brand try to get discount of Krell, Meridian, Classé....

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                                well Denon has never won an award for looks...thats for sure.

This new player from them reminds me of their $500 ethernet cable. Even if the DACs are great...they arent going to be worth 3k.

The Oppo doesnt look the best i agree, but man is sure looks like a winner.

Comment

• Z Man
                                                                  • Jan 2008

A bit of info about the DAC's being used.

My Martin Logan Theater
                                                                  My DVD Collection
                                                                  My CD Collection

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                    well Denon has never won an award for looks...thats for sure.

This new player from them reminds me of their $500 ethernet cable. Even if the DACs are great...they arent going to be worth 3k.

The Oppo doesnt look the best i agree, but man is sure looks like a winner.
                                                                    oh give it a rest !

Originally posted by Z Man
                                                                    A bit of info about the DAC's being used.

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/...99/ak4399.html
                                                                    sure looks interesting seth

as posted on avs by giomania

We're Carlton Audio Visual - with over 200 years accumulated experience, we are here to help
                                                                    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                                      oh give it a rest !

Thanks for your valuable post, but I think I continue to post about the value and merits of this component like I do all others. I am sorry if you are not happy with my opinion.

BTW challenge post, not the poster.

Comment

• Z Man
                                                                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                                        oh give it a rest !

sure looks interesting seth

as posted on avs by giomania

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/1073
                                                                        Some very good info there as well. Thanks for sharing that. I'm really jazzed about getting this player.
                                                                        My Martin Logan Theater
                                                                        My DVD Collection
                                                                        My CD Collection

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"