3 Component ins? -I need your suggestions!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

3 Component ins? -I need your suggestions!

I've outgrown my H/K AVR-7000. I have 4 component video sources, the 7000 has only 2 component inputs. I have 6 digital audio sources while the 7000 only provides for 4 inputs.

I'm currently using a cheap switchbox for the component inputs and manually swapping digital ins when necessary. As you can see, this is far from an elegant solution.

I need a new toy...er that is a new center for my home theater universe. I thought the new Denon 5803 would fit the bill but at $4k I don't think I can stomach that bill afterall. $2500 for the Elite VSX-49TX is much more palatable but I know little about it (other than what's on their website and that the glossy finish would match my speakers ). What else should I look at in the receiver category? Are there any good sites for reviews of the Elite or other models?

I'd love to move into separates but the "budget" pre/pro market really skimps on the inputs. The Outlaw Audio 950 is a great deal but I need a lot more inputs than it offers. I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions on options in this category as well.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Oh yea...I can't seem to locate a picture of the rear panel of the VSX-49TX. Anyone know where on the web I can see it? This is a very important factor for me as my H/K sucks in this respect.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

4 component inputs sources
      1 - DVD
      2 - Sat1
      3 - Sat2?
      4 - Xbox

6 Digital Audio sources:
      1 - DVD
      2 - Sat1
      3 - Sat2
      4 - Xbox
      5 - PS2
      6 - ?CD, MD

Now your XBR400, how many component inputs does it have? The new XBR450 lists 2 HD component inputs, is that the same as your 400? If that's the case, then you could hook your DVD player directly into HD1 and have HD2 input come from the receiver. That way you only have 3 inputs to worry about. But if you only have one, then you're back to square one of lack of component inputs.

The Yamaha RXV1 has 3 component inputs, but I don't know if these are HD compatible. The new Z1 does have HD component inputs, but it doesn't list how many. On the digital audio side, you're covered as the Z1 has 7 optical and 3 coax as well as 1 RF. List is around $2,800.

Here's the link to the comparison chart of the Yamaha RX-Z1

The Denon 4802 has 3 component ins.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sili and Paul,

IIRC the RX-Z1 has three component ins. It is similar to my RX-V1 in many exterior respects. They are DVD, D-TV, CBL/SAT. I'll try to find the article that shows this.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Sounds like a good problem to have. That's a crap load of component! Man, would I like to see you outfit that in CATs, haha. just kidding, those components are a ton of work.

Goodluck, and it would be my guess the Elite would be a nice piece, but for that money I sure would like to see you get into seperates...

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

I'd love to do separates too. A used Lexicon has crossed my mind but the lack of inputs would hurt.

I'd certainly like to feed CATs to my system but you're going to have to make an el cheapo line for me (kittens?)

Here are my component sources (I actually have one more than I mentioned before):

1. Sat
            2. DVD
            3. Xbox
            4. PS2
            5. Gamecube

And here are my digital audio sources:

1. Sat
            2. DVD
            3. MiniDisc
            4. PC (feeding MP3s)
            5. Xbox
            6. PS2

Paul,

You're right about my Wega's inputs. However, as you can see the two inputs on the TV combined with the two on the harmon/kardon still leave me short.

I didn't know Yamaha had a new model coming out. How do their amps compare to the H/K's, Denons, and Pioneer's of the world? I've always thought their amp sections were the one area they could improve upon (though I haven't heard one since the DSP-A1).

The 4803 is a good suggestion too. Not quite as sexy as the Elite but something to audition for sure.

Thanks for the responses!

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

One more question: Is there another receiver on the market that has dual sets of 6-channel ins (the Denon 5803 has two 7-channel ins). If I add an SACD player to my DVD-A player I'll need that feature too.

Of course, I won't need it if DVD-A/SACD combo players drop in price.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sili
                How do their amps compare to the H/K's, Denons, and Pioneer's of the world?

Sili, with the introduction of the RX-V1, Yamaha seriously upgraded the amps in their TOTL units. I'm very happy with the sonic performance of my V1. I know I'm on the lower end (MC-1's etc.) compared to a lot of 'Guide guys, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound from the V1 and now the Z1. Comparing it to others? I've heard a good friend's Denon 5700 running through my speakers and the Yamaha is more detailed/refined while the Denon had that nice warm laid back sound. Personally, I like the detail of my RX-V1 better. I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Pioneer or the H/K.

Burke? You around? Burke's heard my setup and can give you a more objective view as to the sound.
                be gentle. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

The sound of the RX-V1 was basically c.r.a.p. -- consistently refined audio performance. :>) Having had several years' experience with an earlier top-of-the-line Yamaha, (the DSP-A3090), which for its time was pretty darned good but not nearly the equal of more recent (and more expensive) higher end separates, I'd have to say that Yamaha did its homework and produced a very good single-box unit in its latest flagship offering, bettering the older unit in a number of ways besides just the feature complement.

The sound was pleasing all up and down the frequency spectrum, neither breaking up on loud passages nor masking detail in quieter passages -- no obvious faults. I did not notice the emphasis on high end (or "brightness") so often imputed to Yamaha gear -- but then I never felt my '3090 was overly "bright" either. (A lot of that has to with other associated equipment and room setup, too, I think.) Is it the performance equal of more expensive separates? Of course not. But it comes pretty close at a relatively reasonable price while offering a comprehensive, fairly up-to-date feature set... and that is the classic trade off when approaching the "high end"... where is your "point of diminishing returns"?

Since I had heard David's system with the same speakers but earlier, less capable, electronics (although admittedly in a different room) I can attribute a lot of the performance improvement in his system to the new Yamaha. But then, David has spent a lot of time optimizing (AKA "tweaking") :>) his set up to get the best that it is capable of from it -- and has succeeded in putting together an impressive sounding system without having to triple mortgage the house. :>)

If the Yamaha RX-V1 has the feature set you are looking for, it is certainly worth an audition (preferably with your own system) to hear if the sound meets your expectations.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Ok...the Z1 is now officially on my audition list. Right next to the Pioneer Elite.

Can you custom label the inputs on the Yamahas? -or are you always stuck with "Video 4" type input names?

Thanks guys!

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

The RX-V1 has an input rename feature, Set Menu item number 16 in the owner's manual . You can read the details online at: http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/manuals/yec/RX-V1.pdf page 57 of 95 (in Adobe Acrobat -- numbered page 53 in the printed manual).

I would assume that the latest model would retain this feature.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Resurrecting an old thread that may still be of interest to those with the need for 3 component ins. I just read a review of the new Krell "affordable" HT pre-pro, the Showcase which has 3 full-bandwith component inputs. Here's Krell's page on it.

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Chip
                          • Aug 2001

B&K Ref50 & 507 receiver both have 3 in 1 out.

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
                          Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• SiliGoose
                            • Aug 2000

Wow...old thread. I ended up with the Anthem AVM-20. It only has 2 component ins but I decided other features were more important. The Ref 50 ought to be great though.

-Sili
                            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Sili,

Yeah I was going back through some of the oldies and found this one.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"