X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I've discovered the ultimate audiophile component

In my years of stumbling around audio and HT-related forums, one thing I've noticed that many audiophiles seem to agree on are these things (note that this is for music, not home theater):
    • 2-channel is preferred over multi-channel
    • Vinyl is preferred over CD, and even SACD/DVD-A
    • Tubes are preferred over solid-state
    Taking these in mind, I would like to offer what could be the pinnacle of high-end audio, as yet undiscovered by today's audiophiles.

If 2-channel is better than multi-channel, then wouldn't mono be even better still?

Think about it. With stereo you have imaging and soundstage issues to deal with. Not to mention phase interaction, and painstakingly finding that perfect position where the speakers sound just right from the listening position, and as soon as the cat brushes against a speaker you have to start all over again. Then the sound is just right only in that spot. Lean back in your chair, turn your head, or share the sweet spot with your cuddly spouse and suddenly there goes that precise imaging that you worked so hard to attain. Then there's all those unnatural panning effects that recording engineers like to throw in.

But with mono, you have none of these issues. Any seat in the room is in the sweet spot. Speaker positioning is no longer so critical. Recline your seat, turn around with your back to the speaker, even listen in the next room and you won't lose the soundstage. All voices and instruments will appear to come from a single point in the room.

If vinyl is better than digital media, then this must be better than vinyl!

CDs were supposed to replace vinyl. Audiophiles prefer vinyl. Vinyl replaced shellac 78s, which replaced wax cylinders. So it would stand to reason that audiophiles would prefer wax cylinders over vinyl discs, right? After all, wax cylinders don't warp, and there is no change in linear velocity between the groove at the outside vs. the inside of the disc to make the last track sound worse than the first. Wax cylinders are more compact too, so they offer one of CD's advantages over LPs as well.

Tubes, schmubes! How about eliminating ALL electronics!

As great as tubes (and well designed solid-state) gear sounds, there will always be the potential for noise, distortion, hum, clipping, and electrical interference even in the finest gear. Well my ultimate audiophile component doesn't use electricity at all! No AC signal to introduce hum, no hot dangerous tubes, no finicky bias adjustments, no transistors, no need for fancy cables, grounding, or power conditioners. This audiophile component winds up, and transmits the sound mechanically from the stylus directly to the horn-loaded speaker. Thus you get the cleanest possible signal path. Also, many audiophiles seek horn-loaded equipment to get the best possible sound.

Here's the ultimate, CD and vinyl bashing top-end audiophile component!

KJP (yes, I didn't get much sleep last night) 8O

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Excellent. Now if you tell us were we can get one of these top notch players. Museum maybe?

Good read.

Maziar

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What's more scary is, with or without sleep, you make some good arguments! :LOL:

I own very basic gear. However, the older I get, the more important the quality of what I'm hearing becomes to me. I find myself listening to songs that I would not even considered yrs ago if, they are well recorded and reproduced.

I think it is natural to love what has made one happy for yrs on end. And to each his own. In my house, vinyl and cd co-exist! 8)

Great write up though. Very enjoyable!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

But, where do the CATCables plug in? :B

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I don't like this at all, not at all. :LOL:

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
            But, where do the CATCables plug in? :B
            Don't give him any ideas. Before you know it he'll be wrapping a toilet paper roll in tin foil, and selling it with or without a pre-recorded version of "Mary had a Litle Lamb." For the afforementioned player. :LOL: Hmmm the Catlog? :?:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"