X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcgator
    • Nov 2004

A/B speaker switching/switchbox?

Hi all,

As some of you may have seen from previous posts over on the B&W speaker board, my 5.1 system consists of B&W 704's up front and 805's in the rear.

As my quickie comparison review stated, I like the 704s for certain kinds of music (rock, pop) and the 805's are much nicer for female vocals, jazz.

These are running off an Onkyo 701 receiver and Rotel RMB 1075 amp. Unfortunately, that Onkyo does not have an A/B speaker switch. Which means, if I want to listen to Diana Krall specifically on the 805's without hearing the 704's, I have to put the receiver in "all channel stereo" mode and turn down the 704's as low as possible in the calibration settings, or literally disconnect the front speakers temporarily...a pain in the butt. Of course, it's easy if I only want to play the 704's, then I just use "stereo" mode. But for the backs only, I can't figure out a better way to do it.

So, my question: given that this is a surround receiver, is there a such thing as an A/B speaker switchbox (even something available at Radio Shack) that will allow me to choose fronts vs. rears AND still enable the Onkyo to use all speakers in surround mode when necessary, without having to disconnect the box?

I hope I introduced that question accurately, so that it's easy to understand what I"m shooting for.

thanks all,
    BCGator
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Yes, there are speaker switch boxes available. I know this may go against certain things audiophiles may stand for, but you could run you mains or surrounds through the switch box and flip them on/off as you desire.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• bcgator
      • Nov 2004

Thanks Clive, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"