X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cxc21
    • Mar 2008

Oppo DV-983H

I am looking at the Oppo DV-983H. It has "USB 2.0 interface for video, picture and music playback" but there are no specifics detailing how that might work, which formats are recognized, PC/mac compatibility etc. Does anyone tried this new player or has additional info not on the web page?
    Thanks
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

The Oppo DV-983H is one fine DVD player! I'm really enjoying mine. Here's the scoop on the USB port for the Oppo DV-983H:
    Originally posted by Oppo DVD Player User Manual
    {page}43
    Use of USB Device
    This DVD player is equipped with a USB port on its back panel. You may use the USB port to play
    digital video, audio and picture files stored on compatible USB drives.

USB Port

Please connect the USB device to the USB port of this DVD player using a compatible USB cable.

Press the DVD/USB button on the remote control. A device selection menu will appear.

DVD/USB
    ARROW
    SELECT
    DVD
    USB SLOT1

Use the ARROW and SELECT buttons to select the USB SLOT. The
    DVD player will start reading the files stored in the USB device and
    present the disc navigation menu. Please refer to page 41 for detail
    instructions. The “Auto Play Mode” setting in the “General Setup Page”
    of the setup menu does not apply to USB devices. You must start
    playback manually by selecting a file and press the PLAY or SELECT
    button.
    NOTE
    This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most
    USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device
    class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones
    may not be compatible. It is not possible to connect this unit to a personal computer for
    USB playback.
    {Emphasis added}

A D V A N C E D O P E R A T I O N S
    {page} 44
    • Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table) or FAT32
    file system. Drives formatted with NTFS file system are not supported.
    • The play can index approximately 600 file and folder names. Disks containing more than
    600 files and folders may not play properly. It may take the player longer time to read the
    contents of a large disk.
    • If the USB drive is incompatible, or the player encounters errors while reading the USB
    drive or flash memory card, the screen displays “Device Error”. In this case please verify
    that the USB drive is compatible, and try to unplug the device and re-insert again.
    • In some cases, an incompatible USB device may cause the player to stop responding. If
    this occurs simply turn off the power, remove the USB device, and turn the player back
    on.
    • OPPO cannot guarantee compatibility with all USB devices and assumes no
    responsibility for any loss of data that may occur when connected to this unit.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• here.now
      • Jun 2008

i <3 my oppo! you won't be disapointed even if it wont do all the media you wish.
      My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• cxc21
        • Mar 2008

Thanks you I am sure it is a good player, however also the info you posted doesn't help in determining the exact codecs, bit rates file sizes etc. supported. It basically says it may work or not. Does the manual state more specifics?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

You can read manual here:
          Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• cxc21
            • Mar 2008

Thanks Kal, but also the manual does not have any more details on codecs, bit rates and file sizes supported on usb. I just want to no if it does Mpeg2, mpeg4 and flavors thereof. It is quite bizarre, this should be easy to answer, also oppo didn't answer yet. Seems no one is using the usb for playback.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

cxc21, I suggest you call OPPO directly and ask them your detailed technical questions about the DV-983H's USB port. (Yes, I read that "oppo didn't answer yet". After they've had a few days to research the answer, a polite follow-up inquiry might be in order.). :>)Then kindly report their answers here.

Thanks,
              Burke

Comment

• cxc21
                • Mar 2008

Oppo answered: The player has been designed to decode standard definition video formats only. For this reason, the player will support DivX, XviD, MPEG-1/2 and OGM. It will not support h.264, MP4, AVCHD or other high resolution media formats.

They did not know about bitrates, resolutions or audio formats supported. Since DIVX and Xvid are MPEG4 based, it is weird that standard ISO MPEG4 and H264 are not supported. I am still not entirely clear on what is supported and what not.
                But this option maybe very limited. I don't use divx or xvix. I hope there is someone out here to try some formats.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Thank you for sharing the response from OPPO. Hopefully, someone using the DVD player's USB port extensively will come along with the information you seek.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"