X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Oppo DV-970HD Now Available

Oppo has released its' long awaited upconverting universal DV-970HD player with HDMI connection and SACD & DVD-A. Great for those of us with internal or external scalers. Here are the features you get for a lower MSRP than the older 971H player:

Universal DVD Player Features:

Superior compatibility with DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), Certified DivX, Xvid, Audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD and other digital audio and video media/formats
    Plays DivX® 5, DivX® 4, DivX® 3, and DivX® VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified™ technical requirements)
    Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB format

Video Up-Conversion Features:

High definition up-conversion with film-like picture quality to up-convert 720x480 interlaced video encoded on DVD discs to 480p/720p/1080i
    High-quality pure digital video and audio through a single HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) cable
    Multiple high definition video formats through HDMI and component outputs*: NTSC: 480i/480p/720p/1080i; PAL: 576i/576p/720p/1080i (* Component output for CSS-encrypted DVD discs (almost all commercially pressed DVD discs) is limited to 480i/480p only.)
    Compatible with HDTV, HD-Ready TV, HDTV monitors and projectors
    For more information about DVD video up-conversion, please read our white paper article Getting the Most out of DVD on an HDTV Display

Optimized Audio Features:

Optimized analog audio circuitry for great audio quality
    Built-in Dolby Digital decoder with individual 5.1ch and down-mixed stereo outputss
    Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM
    Unique "Audio Only" mode with video processing turned off for perfect acoustic fidelity
    3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft
    Built-in equalizer, channel trim and channel delay functions

Compatibility Features:

PAL/NTSC disc and TV compatible with automatic or manual system conversion
    Compatible with CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW and DVD+R DL* (* Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on media and formatting software types)
    Enhanced dual-layer disc support with fast layer change
    Wide range universal power supply (~100V-240V, 50/60Hz AC)

Standard Video Features:

Progressive scan component outputs (YPbPr)
    Composite video and S-Video outputs for standard TVs
    Supports screen aspect ratio 4:3 (standard) and 16:9 (wide-screen)
    User adjustable video controls: Sharpness, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue and Gamma
    Multi-angle view

Convenience Features:

4-in-1 flash memory card reader compatible with Memory Stick, Secure Digital, Multi-Media Card, and SmartMedia (MS/SD/MMC/SM)
    USB interface for expanded connectivity
    Smooth and easy navigation of photo albums, music collections and video files on DVD, CD, flash memory cards and USB disks.
    Selectable subtitle and audio tracks

Connectors:

HDMI - High Definition Multimedia Interface: 1
    Component Video (YPbPr/YCbCr): 1 group (3 connectors)
    Analog Stereo Audio (Mixed 2-Channel Left/Right): 1 group (2 connectors)
    Analog 5.1 Channel Audio: 1 group (6 connectors)
    S/PDIF (IEC-958) Coaxial Digital Audio: 1
    S/PDIF (IEC-958) Optical Digital Audio: 1
    Composite Video: 1
    S-Video: 1

Accessories Included:

High-quality certified HDMI cable with ferrite core and gold-plated HDMI connectors
    Remote control with "glow in the dark" keypad (batteries included)
    Stereo audio cable
    Composite video cable
    User manual and warranty information
    Link to Oppo site: http://www.oppodigital.com/
    Stan
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

We all know it should have excellent video if it's anything like the first unit but I wonder what it's DVD-A, SACD and CD playback are like......?
    Jason

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I just ordered one a few minutes ago. :T
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

You'll have to let us know about the SQ Robert!
        Jason

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

Mine should be delivered late Friday.

While I am purchasing the 970 for its' ability to transmit 480i over HDMi to the internal scaler of an Anthem D2, the addition of SACD and DVD-A at this price point is pretty amazing.

Interesting to note that according to specifications, SACD is transmitted over HDMI 1.1 connection. Apparently this is being accomplished via PCM conversion. Oppo is the first manufacturer to provide this type of solution.
          Stan

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I just noticed it's the same price as the old model too! 8O
            Jason

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aud19
              You'll have to let us know about the SQ Robert!
              Whoops, Sorry Jason I ordered the OPDV971H, not the 970. Maybe I should just order both. :lol:
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Cancel and re-order the 970! It looks like the same unit with DVD-A SACD support!
                Jason

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Hey Jason, just sent you a PM
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Nevermind :cry:

Q: What are the main differences between the OPPO DV-970HD and OPDV971H DVD players?
                    A: While both the OPPO DV-970HD and OPDV971H are excellent DVD players with high definition up-conversion, the OPDV971H emphasizes more on the video performance and the DV-970HD emphasizes more on the overall performance and value. The main differences between the two models are:

* The OPDV971H features video processing with "DCDi by Faroudja" technology and video chipset by Genesis/Faroudja; the DV-970HD uses a different chipset and technology for video de-interlacing and up-conversion. While both player produce excellent picture quality and the difference is subtle, the "DCDi by Faroudja" technology is able to handle some tricky video contents. On very large TV or projector screens, the difference could be noticed by experts or videophiles. When benchmarked with contents designed to test video performance, the OPDV971H will score higher than the DV-970HD.
                    * The OPDV971H has a DVI output for digital video; the DV-970HD has an HDMI output for digital video and audio.
                    * The DV-970HD supports Super Audio CD (SACD) in addition to DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Audio CD etc. supported by both players.
                    * The DV-970HD has a flash memory card reader and USB interface while the OPDV971H does not.
                    * The OPDV971H front panel has a brushed aluminum finish; the DV-970HD front panel has a reflective mirror finish.
                    :cry:
                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

I wish they'd make a DVD-A/SACD capable unit with the 971's video specs, even if it was $50-$100 more.....
                      Jason

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Yeah, Im going to stick with the 971, maybe my wife needs the 970 in her system? :assimilate: Hmmmmmm, lets see how I can work this one.... :rofl:
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Vinny
                          • Mar 2006

When I looked up at the price this morning and thought it would be an universal player and reproducing lower video quality than the 971. I was expecting it would have some alternative for the video decoding but I guess not :roll:
                          Pioneer KRP-500M
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Parasound 5125
                          Oppo BDP-83
                          Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                          SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Multiple high definition video formats through HDMI and component outputs*: NTSC: 480i/480p/720p/1080i; PAL: 576i/576p/720p/1080i (* Component output for CSS-encrypted DVD discs (almost all commercially pressed DVD discs) is limited to 480i/480p only.)
                            That's good news. I hated the old one didn't even have the option of upconverted component outputs. So in theory, one could create backup's of all their reference discs 'without' CSS and have 1080i out component video.

Think I might try it out myself..

Kevin 'wishes HDMI would die' D.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

The 971 is a great player- bought one in December of 2004, and have kept it upgraded as the firmware revisions have been released. They have a very good implementation of the Faroudja chipset, (finally!), and performance wtih video sourced material (think TV on DVD) is excellent, much better than many other players (keeping in mind I have a 80" CRT FPTV setup). I use it with a DVI to RGBHV converter.

I heard the 970 would be more MOR, offer SACD support (a plus), but not be so refined video wise. I don't think it would be quite my cup of tea, as it's hard to imagine the SACD support will compete with a dedicated player, and the video support is a step back.

For a first time budget player, it woudl be great, I expect- bet my daughter would like it.

~Jon
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dyazdani
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                I wish they'd make a DVD-A/SACD capable unit with the 971's video specs, even if it was $50-$100 more.....
                                Me too, I also just ordered a 971H - will be here on Friday! I already have a Panny RP-82 which does DVD-A, so I'm not willing to take a hit on video just to add SACD.
                                Danish

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                  I use it with a DVI to RGBHV converter.

~Jon
                                  So there's no HDCP on the DVI output of the 971? I can deal with RGBHV...

Kevin D.

Comment

• gostan
                                    • May 2003

If you do not have an external scaler, then the 971 is the definite choice over the 970.

I am not purchasing the 970 for its' SACD or DVD-A abilities. I chose it over the 971 because I do not need the DCDI by Farouda abilities of the 971 as the 480i out from the 970 will mate with the internal Gennum scaler of the Statement D2 pre-pro at a superb price point. No need to spend $$$$ on a more expensive SD player with the advent of the HD players.
                                    Stan

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                      • Oct 2002

The new Oppo 970HD is NOT a replacement for the 971H if we talk about PQ only (and also if not talking about SACD over HDMI 1.1... in PCM).

It's a more "specialized" product for people using external scalers integrating more powerful chips then the "old" Faroudja in the 971H.

The key here is 480i over HDMI. That's all. Instead of doing a pricey SDI mod to a player, you can instead buy the 970HD to get a pure and untouch 480i over HDMi signal to use with a dedicated external scaler.

I think people are confused. People think it's replacing the 971H, but it's not. If you are not using an external scaler, then you should buy the 971H, the new 970HD is NOT for you. If you have a Gennum VXP, Realta HQV or NSC scaler, or even the DVDO VP30, then the 970HD is what you need.

It's sad. People will be confused and we will read things like that on the net: "my 971H is better then the new 970HD! What's that! I can't believe it!" when it's perfectly normal. Nothing wrong.

The new 970HD player needs to be paired with high-end external video scalers to perform. The 971H is a better stand-alone player. But with external de-interlacing and scaling, the 970HD will be THE player to get.

i just ordered one to use with my Gennum VXP scaler. My 971H will stay in my second viewing room where there is no need for an external scaler like the one in my main HT room. The Gennum chip is alot better then what the 971H was giving me, after comparing both. Not even close. And then the combo 970HD + Gennum VXP will be ALOT better then the 971H alone. But if using both the 971H and 970HD as stand-alone players, then the 971H is better then the 970HD.

I hope it's more clear now. :B
                                      Last edited by LEVESQUE; 31 May 2006, 20:49 Wednesday.
                                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• gostan
                                        • May 2003

Alain, well said, as always.
                                        Stan

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2003

It looks like the 970 could be the ultimate cost effective 2 channel and DVD "transport" for me since I don't need any digital to analog sound conversion going sp/dif to a Benchmark DAC1 and HDMI to the processor in the Statement D2. If it spins and responds well to the remote then it's a winner. Now all we need is for someone to come up with a mod that turns off the internal circuits that are not in use to eliminate their noise contribution.
                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• joetama
                                            • May 2006

I have to say, those look like some seriously nice players. Then I looked at the price and my mouth dropped open. WOW, nice specs, awesome price.
                                            -Joe

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                              So there's no HDCP on the DVI output of the 971? I can deal with RGBHV...

Kevin D.

No, there isn't, although my converter ( a "special" limited edition model) can deal with that, too- that's how I tested ThomasW's Toshiba HD-A1 player, converting to RGBHV output.

For just upscaling DVD, the Oppo works very well- only thing comparable was the Zenith DVB318 with the earlier firmware, and a transcoder that can be manually switched between HD and SD color space, as the Zenith upscaled to HD resolution while retaining SD color space parameters (the YUV color matrix in component video).

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• peterS
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

could someone coment on the dvd-a and sacd playback
                                                as i have been looking for a player at a resonable pricepoint

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by peterS
                                                  could someone coment on the dvd-a and sacd playback
                                                  as i have been looking for a player at a resonable pricepoint

It's newly release so I'm not sure anyone has one yet. But they should come soon.
                                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, right now their website says mid-June for shipping.

I'm considering picking up one of the units, as my Bravo D1 player has died in my bedroom setup. Not sure which one to get, but leaning towards the older model as I don't listen to music in the bedroom, just movies sometimes. But hey, the new one is 25% less...
                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                      • Oct 2002

My Oppo 970HD was shipped 2 days ago and should be in tomorrow, but if I'm not lucky, it will be here only on monday.
                                                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• peterS
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2005

:huh: well?

Comment

• nfjason
                                                          • Aug 2005

We evaluated the DVD audio playback and it is very good. For a limited time (limit to 200 sets), every NuForce IA-7 comes bundled with a FREE Oppo DV-970HD. This is a marketing program offered in partnership with Oppo Digital.
                                                          We would recommend our up coming DVD-A/CD jazz recording be played on this player.

Jason from Nuforce

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Oh, see? Now I gotta buy that album.
                                                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• cobbpa
                                                              • Apr 2005

I have a standard definition CRT and have been wanting to experience multichannel audio. Therefore...I have the 970 . I haven't had much time to play with it, but so far it is very nice.

Comment

• peterS
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

Results of the DVD Benchmark test for the Oppo DV-970HD are shown here.

Comment

• fej
                                                                  • Dec 2006

sorry

Ok resurrecting an old thread but this is as close as a thread as I could find to answer my question.

I am but a mere peasant in this home audio/video world on this board but by no means new to it. There are no plans to upgrade the receiver or TV at this time nor are there plans to go preamp/amp and or add a scaler etc etc. I am looking for an upgrade to my DVD player to go with my current set up:

TV: Sony Plasma KE42M1
                                                                  Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2500
                                                                  DVD: Pioneer DV525 (had this a LONG time)

The pioneer has had a little tick while playing for as long as I can remember and I would like to upgrade my connection options as well. I like the looks and certainly the price point of the Oppo units but I am unsure which fits my needs better as both a CD/DVD player. I have another CD player (old yamaha natural sound unit) that is fine for my burned discs etc but would like to have my DVD player handle the "high" quality sources for music when I use them. At this point it does not include dvd-a or sacd but it might in the near future as my listening tastes and ear improves (and my pocket book can afford heh)

Thanks in advance
                                                                  Fej

Comment

• comeup
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2005

Oppp now has the new DV981HD, haven't seen a thread on it yet does anyone have it ? How is it?
                                                                    Blake

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"