OPPO DV-983H or Arcam DV-137 DVD Player?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

OPPO DV-983H or Arcam DV-137 DVD Player?

Hi,

I have the Arcam AVP700/P1000 combo and want a new dvd player, not interested in a blu-ray player, I've narrowed it down to two:

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

or

Obviously the arcam matches my current equipment.

Oppo is cheaper and has some very good reviews, plus it has a USB 2.0 port.

Both player cd, dvd and divx

mmm... hard decision.
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

The Oppo is significantly cheaper!
    What do you favor more, audio or video?
    If audio, I would pick Arcam.
    If video, I would pick Oppo.
    This decision is solely based on some comparisons that I have read.
    Here is a thread where a guy compared the DV137 vs a Marantz DVD player. http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam...ml#post5021575 (is this allowed???)
    The audio portion I can only go by what he says. So the Arcam is better.
    The video portion, I can speak for. The guy in the review claims the Marantz is much better than the Arcam at video. I have a Marantz DV6001 DVD player, and a Oppo base-level DVD player. The Oppo has a better picture. You are considering their top of the line player. So for video, I would say Oppo is greater than Marantz. And Marantz is greater than Arcam.
    I've never used the analog outputs of my Oppo for music, so I can't speak on the sound.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
      two:Obviously the arcam matches my current equipment. Oppo is cheaper and has some very good reviews, plus it has a USB 2.0 port. Both player cd, dvd and divx mmm... hard decision.
      Oppo use it as digital transport the Audio will be decoded by your pre/pro and it decode SACD as well as DVD-Audio :T And on top of that you can't beat the video
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sonoma john
        • Jan 2009

Oppo will be out with a new blu-ray player very soon. It carries that high end video chip plays sacd and should be light years ahead of everybody else at a price point of $400 to $500....

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by sonoma john
          Oppo will be out with a new blu-ray player very soon. It carries that high end video chip plays sacd and should be light years ahead of everybody else at a price point of $400 to $500....
          MARCH 2009 if all goes well
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wettou
            Oppo use it as digital transport the Audio will be decoded by your pre/pro and it decode SACD as well as DVD-Audio :T And on top of that you can't beat the video
            the arcam avp700 does not accept audio over hdmi. it does hdmi switchign only. the arcam avp700 is very good with analog audio thats its strength. to get the best of it need to use it with a player for which analog is its strenght.

I've owned the oppo 983 and can tell you analog audio is not its strenght. on video if your read past the hype you'll find there not much between it and even a pio lx70a for DVD.

for the arcam p700, given the two options, the arcam dv137 would be a better pic in my opinon.

ps sound engine, do we know you as mvp jack back home (down under ?) :T
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Have to disagree. The scaler and overall picture quality of the 983 is second to none in the DVD market, and bested by only a few of the HD-DVD or Blu-ray players for SD material. If film and video are the primary purpose, the Oppo is clearly the better choice. HDMI audio (as opposed to SPDIF) is only needed for SACD or DVD-A. If those aren't a priority, it's a moot point.
              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by alebonau
                I've owned the oppo 983 and can tell you analog audio is not its strenght. on video if your read past the hype you'll find there not much between it and even a pio lx70a for DVD.
                Picture wise, I can't agree with that. One user put that the Marantz is clearly better than the Arcam in video. And if that's true, taking the fact that my base-level Oppo looked better than my Marantz DV6001, I can't see how Oppo's flagship player could not be able to easily make DVDs look better than the Arcam.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  Picture wise, I can't agree with that. One user put that the Marantz is clearly better than the Arcam in video. And if that's true, taking the fact that my base-level Oppo looked better than my Marantz DV6001, I can't see how Oppo's flagship player could not be able to easily make DVDs look better than the Arcam.
                  hi audio, there are certainly plenty of complimentary posts too on the arcam in the link you provide !

Anyways I cant speak from 2nd hand knowledge, but as I mentioned with the pio lx70a (elite 95hd) vs the oppo 983 on dvd can tell you there was nothing in it. And by that I know I was quite suprised myself as beleived the hype and bought the oppo blind on account that it would provide me some benefit in that regard. guess I found the pio was actually pretty decent for DVD after all ! and I'm not alone I know atleast 2 others who had to freeze frame and squint hard to say one way or the other, and both have moved on from the oppo since.

my experience with arcam is they make some pretty fine players for both DVD and audio over analog.

for the OP with no hdmi audio ability and with an av pre-pro pretty decent with analog what is needed in my opinion is a player with good analog ability. the oppo 983 in my experience is absolutely useless in that regard. the arcam player qouted on the other hand is actually very decent for CD/SACD/DVDA via analog and would be a much better choice.

IF the OP had qouted Blu-ray disc as a requirement then something like the sony bdp-5000es perhaps a choice as does very well over analog and does a great job for DVD other choices there as well in the denon 3800/marantz 8002 or perhaps the new pio flagship 09fd which I believe is also pretty decent over analog and very good for DVD as well ofcourse would need to suplement those with an audio player if there is that need as well.

my suggestion to the OP that dont have to take anyones word for it and best thing can do is go check out the options to decide for him self.
                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"