X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

On Screen Menu conflicts with DVD player

My Denon 3808 can't show it's on screen menu when the DVD input is used.I use a OPPO 971 (set to 720p).

I can see the menu when using my HDTV cable box (set to 720p)

:M Grrrrrr

KG
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Are both using HDMI? I know if you are output to your tv via HDMI, some of the receivers will not output the OSD (on-screen display) via HDMI if another device is already sending a signal.

For example, if your DVD player is sending a HDMI signal to your receiver, and your receiver is passing it along to the tv, well then there's an active signal. Switch to a non-HDMI source and try to display your Denon's OSD.

I'm not sure if Denon does this, but I know a lot of receivers do with HDMI.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

What he said. Assuming your cable box is using component and your DVD is using HDMI, that would explain it.

Even if the receiver could superimpose its OSD on a HDMI signal, it wouldn't be able to if the signal is encrypted (HDCP).

Comment

• pbarach
        • Feb 2007

deleted message, never mind...

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

I'll clearify.The cable box outputs 720p via HDMI.When I'm watching HD or any other TV material I can hit the menu button and the Denon menu is superimposed on the screen.It is very cool and easy to navigate to make changes.

My DVD player is connected with the HDMI also (it can't output 720p via component video).

Someone had suggested that it was a color spacing problem, but that means very little to me.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

I bet the DVD player is outputting encrypted HDMI (w/HDCP), which the Denon can't manipulate in order to superimpose its menu; all it can do with a HDCP signal is pass it along to the display unchanged. The cable box is putting out an unencrypted signal which the Denon can intercept in order to add its menu.

Comment

• kgveteran
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin P
              I bet the DVD player is outputting encrypted HDMI (w/HDCP), which the Denon can't manipulate in order to superimpose its menu; all it can do with a HDCP signal is pass it along to the display unchanged. The cable box is putting out an unencrypted signal which the Denon can intercept in order to add its menu.

I'm willing to pick up another upconverting DVD player if you would know of one that would allow me to see the darn menu.

After a little reading it would seem that an upconverting DVD player with an HDMI output would solve this, and not cost more that about 75.00 .

KG

I think i'll hook up the component video cables first to see how the Denon upconverts.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"