Any tricks to get C2 OSD for HDMI Sources???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jprafter
    • Jan 2005

Any tricks to get C2 OSD for HDMI Sources???

I'm very happy with my Parasound setup though it looks like my C2 will never support HDMI fully. I use a combination of my C2 and TV for video switching along with the MX-700 macros. So I really have no need for a Parasound HDMI switch only device, since it will do nothing to help with OSD.

My biggest disappointment comes from the lack of OSD when using HDMI and Component sources. I have the C2 in an enclosed cabinet with an IR repeater to enable the remote, therefore I can not see the LCD display. I would like to be able to know which mode is employed, if ebass is on or off, etc. (all the information that is normally displayed with OSD)

Since the OSD is nothing more than a video overlay, I was wondering if there are any products on the market or tricks that can be employed to take the OSD from the SVideo output and overlay it on or temporarily replace the HDMI or component video signal.

I have looked, but have not been successful in finding any solutions. This has become my biggest annoyance with my current setup, especially when I see lots of new equipment with OSD over all sources including HDMI and component.

Any information would be welcomed.
    Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
    Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    DirecTV HR20
    SONOS
    Harmony 1000
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Interesting. A lot of people do NOT want OSD on most video sources, but it does make sense that people do want it sometimes. There are times where I'd like to know something contained on OSD, and I have to look to the side of my theater to the C1 itself see it, and of course it's VERY small.

There may be a way to add OSD using some tricks, like sending something out via S-video and then convert to HDMI, but I'm positive anything like this that you do will noticeably degrade video quality. I would imagine this is the very reason Parasound does not add OSD to the high-end video types, that even if added in the best way possible to the video, it will partially degrade quality. Best quality will keep the video native without any processing or addition.

I would suggest running two lines - one composite or S-video, and one HDMI/component. Quick switch to the composite line to check OSD info, then switch back to the HDMI/component to watch the actual material. I do this sometimes.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
      • Aug 2003

A two way controller hooked up to the RS232 input would be the ideal solution. That way you can see in your hands what's going on.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"