X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

Key Sequence for OSD menus on 1056?

Hi,

I just got a 1056 and have it hooked up via component to a front projector. Video inputs are component (from DVD and X-box) as well. When I press "Menu", nothing happens (on the screen), and it says in the manual that you need to tell the 1056 if you are using progressive signals on a video input if you want to be able to display the OSD (for which it interrupts the progressive signal while displaying the OSD).

This kind of implies that you have a working video input for it to display the OSD (otherwise how would it "know" that it's progressive), which is kind of odd. Why couldn't it just send the OSD via the output irrespective of the video input in use (even with none)?

Well, at any rate, does anybody have the exact key sequence to enable the OSD menu with progressive for Video 1 so I can do this w/o display? My projector is too far away to hook it up with S-Video or Composite and I'd rather not drag the 27" TV over there.

Thx,
    Frank
  • GosonFletchy
    • May 2004

You should be able to figure out the key sequence by following the pictures of the OSD in the owners manual. You can not overlay a OSD on top of a component video (progressive/HD) signal, that is why you have to tell the unit that you are using this type of signal so that it can drop the video signal and bring up the OSD when you are wanting to do this.

G.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

With no video selected (ie, any input, but with the source off) the menu should show up fine. Then menu will only output at 480i through ANY video output. Even if you had either source on, you should have at least garbage coming across when you hit the menu key. If your projector's component input only allows for 480P/HD signals then you will never be able to see the menu (I ran into this on a RP DLP set the other day), but even if that is the case, you should still see garbage when it tries to apply text over the video.

I'm leaning more towards something not going right with the unit, or a remote that doesn't have the correct 'menu' key. I know someone received a unit recently that didn't have the 'enter' key working. When you press 'menu' on your remote, do you get the letters "OSD" in a square box on the front of the 1056's display?

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• fvoelling
        • Jul 2004

Kevin,

When I first turn the Rotel on, the projector displays the "Welcome" screen and then the System Status screen, but only for a few seconds before going blank. Pressing the Menu/OSD button either during or after the System Status screen does nothing (the remote shows "OSD" in its window), but pressing the Volume key for example does show the Volume info on the projector screen.

BTW, I found a regular RCA audio cable and used it to connect the Rotel to the projector via composite video (with component unplugged), same results.

The dealer I bought the Rotel from is closed today, I will check with them tomorrow as well.

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Sounds like the menu button isn't working correctly. Do you see the OSD icon come up on the front of the 1056 (the unit, not the remote) when you hit the menu button?

Kevin D.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
            • May 2004

Make sure that you are in the AUD mode with the remote when you are trying to control the receiver. If you are in that mode and it is still not working, then I would do a preload on your remote. You can do this by just sliding the little cover thing at the bottom all the way down and then pressing the preload button. Hold the button in until it says loading, then release the button, wait till it says "OK" and then try again. If that does not help then I dont know what to tell you. It is either the remote control itself or it is the IR sensor inside of the receiver. The unit is outputting a OSD though because you get the SYSTEM STATUS when you first turn it on. Also try reseting the unit and maybe reinstalling the latest software, you never know when that might help. Anyways, I hope you get it figured out and keep us posted. I am curious as to what is causing the problem.

G.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

I agree with Kevin & G, sometimes remotes are DOA out of the box ( it certainly happen to me). Ensure that your menu button works on your 1056.

Just my quick thoughts.

Keep up posted,

Azeke

Comment

• fvoelling
                • Jul 2004

GosonFletchy,

Your advice about pressing "Aud" first did the trick (it's kind of odd that some of the buttons work w/o pressing "Aud" first - I suppose it's just the ones dedicated to the 1056, and "OSD/Menu" I guess isn't?).

Thanks to you and everybody else helping out! BTW, I still need to set the "Progressive" setting to "yes" for those video inputs with progressive signals on them, else they don't show up properly. A work-around is to use a video input not being used (or turned off may work as well).

Got the front pre-outs hooked up to my tube amp and lugged the nice speakers upstairs to use them for double duty, HT and 2-channel music (altogether by-passing the 1056 for the latter, CD feeds directly into tube amp).
                That way, there's no switching speaker cables between receiver/amp, works like a charm.

Now all I have to do is learn the d#@* remote!

Frank

Comment

• mach330
                  • Mar 2006

sorry to bring back an old thread...

i have two components inputs and the componenet output is connected to my sammy DLP. when I press the menu, i see garbage. it looks like it's trying to display the menu, but it's garbage. are you saying that i have to turn off my video in source then i can see the menu? this i haven't tried yet.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"