X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laneza01
    • Feb 2007

Klipsch RF-83's and Sony 5200 ES

So I just purchased the RF-83's and have had the Sony for a couple months now. Before the 83's i was running some old Bose speakers, just til i saved up enough for these ones...anyway, I'm getting some static when the receiver is turned up past about -10 dB (which I will add, is very loud, but some of the PS3 trailers are recorded very softly...so I usually watch them at -5). Right now I'm using a friends of mines Monster M1.4s bi wire, just til i can buy some Cats...which is my next purchase, so i doubt its the wire. Anyone have an idea what this could be from? Is it just the fact that these are very accurate speakers being used with a receiver?
    I will add that I'm using a Belkin PUREAV pf-60 power thing and that the Bose speakers never gave me any feedback, if thats what this noise is.

And one other thing. I have read that these speakers can drop quite a bit below their nominal impedance of 8 ohms. I haven't had any problems with them using this receiver nor have i measured the impedance but i have the option of setting the Sony for 4 ohm speakers vs what I have it set at right now, 8 ohms. Would this be better or should i just leave it alone if its working and not causing any problems?

Thanks Guys
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Sounds like its most likely a problem with the receiver. I have the RF-62's and a Yammy RX-V2400 and I've never experienced any static or anything and I've turned it up to about -9 to -4 or so. Do you have any other equipment you can run it off of? Or does it happen only with the PS3 as the source? If you have another source material give that a try.

Comment

• laneza01
      • Feb 2007

It actually happens even if there is no source being fed to it. If the receiver is on and its turned up past -10 it makes a noise, regardless of the source. I don't have any other way to test it.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Its got to be the receiver then. Something with grounding or what not.

Comment

• laneza01
          • Feb 2007

So is that something I should send in and get warranty work done on? And, could it be something else like a power cable too close to a speaker cable or something really obvious that I'm not suppose to do and I should know better that maybe I don't?

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Could be....but my cables are running all crazy behind my stand and as I said I have no issue like that. Try plugging the receiver into a different port on your power strip. Little things like that. If that doesn't help I'd get the receiver looked at or something.

Comment

• laneza01
              • Feb 2007

alright, so i thought i heard it when i was watching tv too...turns out that was just bad cable tv...once i hooked up an old DVD player i realized this noise was only on when using the ps3...should have checked that a little more closely. I am only using 2 channels right now and thats how its set up on the receiver, however the ps3 was sending it a 5 or 7 channel signal and the reciever was making into two. Once i set the PS3 to 2 channel the hum went away...I hope when add the other 3 speakers it doesn't return...good thing i have a long warranty.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well thats awesome :B I think I have that problem actually I remember when I had 2 speakers connected but fed it a 5.1 channel signal I got some noise. Maybe feedback from the center channel not being driven? Now I have my center and mains and I get no noise with 5.1 material.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"