X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boone38
    • Dec 2004

Which Pre/Pro ?????

I just want to get some sane advise as I am very confused after looking for the last few weeks at all the Pre/Pros out there.

I made the mistake and sold my Rotel 1068/1075/1092. I wanted to upgrade.
    I have looked and listened and became very over whelmed. Here is what I have been looking at:

Anthem AVM 30 Retail 3000.00, dealer will let me have one for 2200.00
    Rotel RSP 1098 retail is 3000.00 dealer will sell for 2400.00
    Krell Showcase 7.1 Retail 4000.00 and used 1900.00

I was looking for an amp and just bought the Classe KAV 75. I an running the B & W 804s for the front and 805s for the rears. HTM4 for the center. DVD player is the Denon 3930. The real question is which pre/pro ?

I am leaning for the AVM30 based on the great reviews. However, I just started to look at the Krell. I am 50/50 movies and cds. Thanks for your input in advance.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Last year I upgraded my processor from a Rotel RSP976 to the Krell Showcase and am completely happy. Huge improvement in clarity, detail, etc. Also upgraded my power amp (Rotel RMB1075) to the Krell KAV 3250 & 2250 for 5 channel.

Try to audition the Krell Showcase if it is possible. Not always easy to do, however. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Personally if you can't afford the D2 I'd personally go for the new Sherwood Newcastle receiver (hopefully they plan on releasing a smilar pre as well) that was intro'd at CES.
      Jason

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

The new Sherwood Newcastle unit will have HDMI 1.3 and HD-DVD/BR processing. I'm guessing that the AVM30 will be upgradeable to this (but just a guess).

I'm recommending my friends/family to wait for the new Sherwood Newcastle unit though.

Here is the Receiver version at CES. SN is widely expected to release a Pre/Pro version as well...

~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I forget--did we get a price on the new SN receiver?
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Two models have it, $1000 and $1500. We'll have to see if they hit the release date and price.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DSGCobra
              • Feb 2003

I just ditched my 1098 for an AVM50. so far so good, still in the fine tuning process. the broadcast quality 1080p upconversion is nothing short of amazing though.

Comment

• Boone38
                • Dec 2004

I would love to get the avm 50 but the cost is jsut to much for me. I am looking at a used Classe SSP 30. Does not have near the bells and whistles. Since I run the hdmi directly to the TV as well as the cable box. Not sure I really need the switching part. My TV is only able to go up to 1080i/720p ( I just bought it in Oct. at Best Buy a Pioneer 50" plasma). My DVD will upconvert to 1080i thus far. I really am thinking of either the AVM 30, Krell used Showcase or the 1098. I am no longer thinking of the Rotel for performance and quality control issues. I have had the 1068, 1057 and a 1060 dvd all have problems.

What are your thoughts on the SSP 30.

Comment

• Ralph P.
                  • Feb 2005

Greetings,

I second the Anthem AVM-50. If you can swing one you will be rewarded with superb audio and video quality.
                  Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
                  Blu-ray Disc Reviews
                  AVSForum.com
                  My Home Theater
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

The AVM 30 is a quality processor. I really believe all the AVM series processors use the same audio guts and should all sound the same. I sound like an Anthem fanboy so sorry but from going from a 1098 to an AVM 50 the difference is much bigger than I thought it would be. In Rotel's defense my 1098 was 3 years old.

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                      The new Sherwood Newcastle unit will have HDMI 1.3 and HD-DVD/BR processing. I'm guessing that the AVM30 will be upgradeable to this (but just a guess).

I'm recommending my friends/family to wait for the new Sherwood Newcastle unit though.

Here is the Receiver version at CES. SN is widely expected to release a Pre/Pro version as well...

All this hype about the SN strictly on specs and features? Has anyone actually heard on yet?

Comment

• Boone38
                        • Dec 2004

Just ordered the Anthem AVM 30. My dealer gave me a great deal. The cost was less then the Rotel 1098. I really could not pass this up for 25% off.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

Well there is the quality of previous SN's to base some optimism on.

BB

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Boone38
                            Just ordered the Anthem AVM 30. My dealer gave me a great deal. The cost was less then the Rotel 1098. I really could not pass this up for 25% off.

Thanks for the insight.
                            Congratulations, with the AVM-30 upgrade capability, it sounds like a wise decision. I also wish I could afford the AVM-50, I would turn in my Rotel RSP-1098 in a heartbeat, but alas, I should be happy with what I have.

Keep us posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• billman1965
                              • Jan 2007

What is wrong with the Rotel 1098??

Greetings, it seems that many people here have a poor opinion of the Rotel 1098 Pre/Pro. Just wondering why?
                              I have one, and really have nothing to compare it to...
                              Thanks.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by billman1965
                                Greetings, it seems that many people here have a poor opinion of the Rotel 1098 Pre/Pro. Just wondering why?
                                Thanks.
                                that was my problem as well. when i started to compare it to the amthem stuff my dealer sells the 1098 went to the wind.

edit: to be fair to Rotel I had my 1098 for about 3 years. 3 years ago it was awesome for the money you couldn't touch it. 3 years later that is still Rotel's flagship processor when they get around to release a new one I'm sure it will be more competive.

Having had the AVM 50 for about a month now I am blown away sound quality is improved and again the video upscaling is nothing short of amazing.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                  Well there is the quality of previous SN's to base some optimism on.

BB
                                  Yeah until I hear one I'd have to base that on previous models SQ....so it should be good. SQ + near unbeatable feature-set + realistic pricing = :B

Billman, I believe it's mostly that the 1098 is a bit out of date right now as DSG mentioned
                                  Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by billman1965
                                    Thanks.
                                    I don't have anything against my Rotel 1098, it's just technology has been changed and enhanced in the last 3 years since the 1098's inception.

I still enjoy it mind you, but my curiosity and upgraditis seem to get the best of me from time to time.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• BasementJax
                                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DSGCobra
                                      that was my problem as well. when i started to compare it to the amthem stuff my dealer sells the 1098 went to the wind.

edit: to be fair to Rotel I had my 1098 for about 3 years. 3 years ago it was awesome for the money you couldn't touch it. 3 years later that is still Rotel's flagship processor when they get around to release a new one I'm sure it will be more competive.

Having had the AVM 50 for about a month now I am blown away sound quality is improved and again the video upscaling is nothing short of amazing.
                                      Did you compare the AVM 50 to the Statement D2 and if so did you notice a difference in sound? I'm a big Rotel fan and will be in the market for a Pro/Pro later this year. Rotel 1098 + the new Rotel scaler isn't going to even come close to the video capabilities of the Anthem units, so it will have to come down to sound quality.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                        • Feb 2003

I did compare the D2 and AVM 50 and to be honest I couldn't really tell that much of a difference in either video quality or audio quality, almost no difference in audio. I didn't spend much time with the D2 as I am sure if you really put the 2 head to head for an extended period of time the D2 will win in every way. There is a large cost difference and that is what pushed me toward the AVM.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"