X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joetama
    • May 2006

LG BH100... Hmmmm

Hey all, I did some searching and didn't find a post on this yet so forgive me if I over looked it..

Anyway, what do yo guys thing of the new LG dual HD source player? As a person who hasn't really taken a side and is a bit reluctant to buy a expensive player with out knowing which source will win I am very interested in this player. Wanted to know what you guys have heard of it.

It ability of it to play HD-DVD and Blue-Ray to me is a very nice feature.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?
    :T
    Thanks
    Joe
    -Joe
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

I saw that on engadget the other day....Sounds like a great idea, but I guess Sony reps are not happy about it since they could lose to the more 'DVD' name from HD-DVD. I also seen the Ritek has the ability to make 10-layered discs to both BD and HD...pretty crazy to have a 250 GB disc.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• locomk
      • Dec 2005

Lg is making some pretty cool things these days. but what i do not understand is why it has hdmi 1.2a and not 1.3 . also it doesn't play standard cd's from what i read in the original reports.

Comment

• maseline_98
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by locomk
        Lg is making some pretty cool things these days. but what i do not understand is why it has hdmi 1.2a and not 1.3 . also it doesn't play standard cd's from what i read in the original reports.
        Does that mean that it won't be able to do TrueHD audio???

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
        Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

Bummer.... on the HDMI thing... Honestly I don't care if it plays CDs or not. I'm sure most people do, but I have a dedicated Arcam player which I'm sure does a much better job than one of those would with CDs anyway.... (NOT LOOKING TO HAVE A CD PLAYER ARGUMENT THANKS)

I'm waiting for another company to come out with something a little better. I've never been a LG fan, but I am glad they paved the road for other manufacturers to do the same...
          -Joe

Comment

• maseline_98
            • Apr 2005

It's up on bestbuy site for $1199 if anybody is interested:

- Built-in Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS-HD decoders, plus 5.1-channel audio output

-->doesn't say anything about TrueHD, but it does have analog outs.

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

^^^^

I saw that.... Very tempting....
              -Joe

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by maseline_98
                I saw that on engadget the other day....Sounds like a great idea, but I guess Sony reps are not happy about it since they could lose to the more 'DVD' name from HD-DVD. I also seen the Ritek has the ability to make 10-layered discs to both BD and HD...pretty crazy to have a 250 GB disc.
                This is actually great news for Blu Ray, and bad news for HD DVD. Its fully functional to play Blu Ray, but is not fully functional to play HD DVD (which is why its not allowed to use the HD DVD logo). Because of the player not being able to play all of HD DVD's functions it makes the HD DVD format look inferior to the average consumer. When they see a tittle available on both formats they will likely be fooled into picking the Blu Ray version because of this. This was clearly an original blu ray player which got changed in the end to play HD DVD.

Dont worry about the HDMI version, becuase it has analog outputs so you can get DD+ an THD.

My personal opinion is if you want to support the next genertion formats go in this order.

1. Support both by getting a HD DVD stand alone player and PS3. This is the most cost effective way to support both formats. Most of the HD DVD players have analog outputs and can support the next gen sound formats. They are also 30-40% less then most BD players. The PS3 has HDMI 1.3 and has been good with firware updates. The PQ is among the best BD has to offer at this point. Current audio is only DTS via analog, but you are safe with 1.3 in the future. If BD looses the PS3 will have resale as a gaming system for at least 3 years.

2. Wait for the LG's reviews. Personally I dont expect much from an LG. If both the PQ and AQ is equal for both formats it may be worth the jump, but option 1 may be cheaper and more versitle in the end.

3. If you can only afford, or only want to support 1 format go with HD DVD. Consistant PQ, great tittles, has been outselling BD, costs less.

I started a thread on this player a while back here.

Comment

• maseline_98
                  • Apr 2005

I still don't understand how it can do TrueHD with the analog outputs. It only has outputs for 5.1 sound and TrueHD is 7.1 right???...I just saw today that New Line is bring out the Lords of the Rings Triligy(FINALLY!!!) and it will TrueHD....any thoughts?

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by maseline_98
                    I still don't understand how it can do TrueHD with the analog outputs. It only has outputs for 5.1 sound and TrueHD is 7.1 right???...I just saw today that New Line is bring out the Lords of the Rings Triligy(FINALLY!!!) and it will TrueHD....any thoughts?
                    THD is 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1.

Also 7.1 does not automatically mean its better then 5.1

Comment

• maseline_98
                      • Apr 2005

Good Point....

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"