Is there a dvd player that fits this bill?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Is there a dvd player that fits this bill?

I'm looking for a new dvd player. I'd like something that is well rounded as in video performance and audio performance and doesnt cost a ton. I'd like something with SACD playback as well. Lets say max MSRP 500-700? Cheaper is deffinately better if a good one can be had :B. I've heard the oppo players are not so good on the audio side? One question if you use optical out or something does it matter? Doesn't your receiver do the audio processing then? Also be nice to have a player that would do SACD over optical/coaxial.
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

You can't transfer the SACD audio through optical. The signal can go through HDMI on both 981 and 970 though(both of them do play SACDs)
    As we don't know whether we are in the intermission of changing into a new generation of media(HD-DVD/Bluray or something new could take over DVDs, and its relative audio could take over SACD/DVD-As, we never know), I would say go for an Oppo and for another set of SACD player if you think it worths it afterwards.
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Another option would be the Pioneer Elite DV-45A (older model), or the newer DV-46AV. I used to own the 45A before I upgraded (to the Onkyo DV-SP1000), and it did a wonderful job with multi-channel music.
      Brad

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I have the Marantz DV7600 (baby brother to the DV9600) and am extremely satisfied with it.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

What do you guys think of the Yammy DVD-S2500? Has Faroudja DCDI deinterlaceing and HDMI.

Comment

• Vinny
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
            What do you guys think of the Yammy DVD-S2500? Has Faroudja DCDI deinterlaceing and HDMI.
            It did not mention the HDMI is 1.1 which can transfer the SACD audio over HDMI.
            I would assume that is a no, which you will have to connect the 5.1 through RCA. And it never mentioned anything about how good it's on decoding sound either, it could be just like any other universal player :cry: just beware of that
            Pioneer KRP-500M
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Parasound 5125
            Oppo BDP-83
            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

whats wrong with oppo?

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

my other suggestion would be denon 2910 or 3910 off ebay

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Vinny
                  It did not mention the HDMI is 1.1 which can transfer the SACD audio over HDMI.
                  I would assume that is a no, which you will have to connect the 5.1 through RCA. And it never mentioned anything about how good it's on decoding sound either, it could be just like any other universal player :cry: just beware of that
                  The Yamaha cannot send SACD over HDMI, but it has gotten decent reviews as an audio player (its predecessor, the 2300, was quite good for audio). However, its complement of bass management and time alignment is not as sophisticated as that available on the latest receivers and hi-res would not benefit from the autoEQ and PEQs that are on many new receivers/pre-pros.

Probably the best options (audio and video) are some Denons and the new Arcam DV137 (though they can get quite expensive). The Arcam is the only player I know that will scale to 768p exactly (other than that, I think only outboard processors and the Anthem D2 can do that, and we're talking SERIOUS money in those cases).

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well the TV I'm getting soon is 1080p. As for the audio I read a few reviews that compared it to a Denon and they said the sound of the Yammy was slightly better. I could hook up the 5.1 rca connectors for SACD and run optical or something for watching dvd's and what not. I don't currently have any SACD's but I was considering picking some up.

Comment

• Alloroc
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                      I have the Marantz DV7600 (baby brother to the DV9600) and am extremely satisfied with it.
                      I too would have to recommend the Marantz. I have a DV8400. Although there's no HDMI, it's a UDP and is musically very strong. One thing to remember, if you output your audio digitally the sound will be processed by the DAC either in your reciever or your seperate DAC (does HDMI or Firewide behave differently - I'm not sure?).

I output using analogue RCA for all channels therefore using the DAC in the player.

The difference in audio quality is distinctly obvious and is superb - definitly better than the audio processing performed on my Rotel.

Anyhow, I reckon you'll get the DV7600 discounted somewhere.
                      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I'll look around at the marantz. There is a dealer here that has the Yammy refurbished with a 180 day warranty for 330 bucks. Thats why I was asking about it seemed like a really good deal.

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

does that marantz output 1080p?

Comment

• Vinny
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by peterS
                            does that marantz output 1080p?
                            DV9600 does, but not DV7600
                            Pioneer KRP-500M
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Parasound 5125
                            Oppo BDP-83
                            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

The DV7600 can output the following resolutions via HDMI:

. VGA (640 x 480)
                              . 480p/576p
                              . 720p
                              . 1080i

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

The newer, cheaper DV6001 udp supports 1080p. Not out till January though.

Sounds like a great value player.....
                                Vincent.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Hmm... I was starting to consider the HD-A2 as it has 32bit Sharc DSP's and 192/24 Dacs (I believe burr brown) so its supposed to have really good sound....but only problem is it doesn't play SACD's.

Hmm....I thought the HD-A2 did 1080p? I thought thats what the big deal about it was??? According to the Toshiba website it plays only 1080i.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Hmm... I was starting to consider the HD-A2 as it has 32bit Sharc DSP's and 192/24 Dacs (I believe burr brown) so its supposed to have really good sound....but only problem is it doesn't play SACD's.

Hmm....I thought the HD-A2 did 1080p? I thought thats what the big deal about it was??? According to the Toshiba website it plays only 1080i.
                                    Hi, It's funny you should mention the HD-A2 as I was tempted to suggest that as an option! The lack of SACD and 1080p prevented me from doing so though. Why would they leave 1080p out on a high def player? Where is the sense in that?! That alone makes me think that I'm just not ready for a new format.
                                    Vincent.

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

1080p will be part of the HX-A2 (or whatever the higher end model number is) to give people incentive to buy it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Maybe someone will release a hacked firmware for it to output 1080p...Theres no doubt in my mind that it is capable of it.

Comment

• locomk
                                          • Dec 2005

i'd recommend the denon dvd-1930. it's msrp is $350, has hdmi up conversion to 1080p and is a pretty good sacd/dvd-a player. the yami is a good player as well as mentioned above, but i think the denon has better video performance.

Comment

• peterS
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2005

imo the 19xx denons are a big step down from the 29xx series

i again suggest the oppo 970 -its display is yellow so it will match the yamahas

i dont see the point in spending 1k+ as some are suggesting if its just hooked up to a receiver

also i dont see the sence in persuing a 1080p player as any 1080p screen will handle 1080i just fine- you are dealing with 480i material here after all

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Well isn't it 480p material? And i want something with good video and good audio and i've heard from several that the audio on the oppo is not very good.

Comment

• peterS
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Well isn't it 480p material? And i want something with good video and good audio and i've heard from several that the audio on the oppo is not very good.
                                                no 480i

the only bad reviews ive seen on the 970 are my own -lol
                                                i was using the wrong output at first and no it didnt sound so hot

with the volume all the way up it has a higher noise floor than players 4x its price but otherthan that i like it

id suggest getting it and if you dont like it return it

could you link to any posts complaining about the audio because im interested in what others have to say

does that yamaha pass sacd via firewire like the denons do?
                                                Last edited by peterS; 19 December 2006, 04:02 Tuesday.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

I'm not sure I think it might though. Let me look for the post... I can't seem to find the post I read before. I'll keep looking.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Yes the yammy will do DVD-A, SACD, DSD and other audio formats over the iLink (Firewire).

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"