X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Bookshelves at 80Hz? Is this enough?

Anyone have experience with HT setups using bookshelves vs. full-range speakers? I see a lot of smaller speakers, like the THX certified ones too, that the frequency response is 80-20. Are people using subs that do a great job up to the 80Hz crossover, or is there a frequency not getting filled? Are the full-range speakers great at stereo listening but overkill for HT where a sub or two are used? I see a ton of small THX certified satellites or bookshelf speakers, but very few towers are THX certified. Don't read me wrong. I don't need THX, I would just think that THX would certify/market what is working best in their opinion. The only towers I know that are THX are some Atlantic technologies and Monster Power. Any thoughts on the need for towers in HT, why full-rangers are not as bountifully THX certified as smaller models and testimonies on what has worked best for strictly HT setups, full-range vs. non? Thanks
    Roly
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

First of all, a VERY small portion of available floorstanding speakers are actually "full range". Most common floorstanders have good, useable response down to 30-40hz at the most so you'll still require a sub with them and as such they're not considered full range. Most people choose floor standers as they offer lower, useable bass output for 2-ch without adding a sub in I'd guess.

The models that are considered full range usually have a built in (and usually active) subwoofer right in the tower and hence can be considered "full range".

As for THX... it's entirely up to the company on whether they want the bother and expense of being THX certified and a lot of companies just don't bother (thankfully :lol: )

Also remember, the THX standard calls for a 80hz crossover to the sub so it would make sense to design speakers you want THX certified, to work with that standard
    Jason

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

I understand the full-range thing and I understand the basic principle of becoming THX. Let me re-phrase a bit with my understanding. I was under the impression that you wanted some "extra frequency" in a speaker. Not sure what the correct terminology is, but say a speaker is rated down to 50Hz, I thought you would want to set the crossover higher, like at 80. If a speaker is rated at 80Hz, that doesn't mean it starts to roll of at 80 does it? I thought that it rolled higher? So if it does roll off higher than the bottom frequency range, an 80 Hz speaker would roll of somewhere higher? Correct? I was always under the impression one wanted some overlap. Is this incorrect? If it is correct, and you do want some overlap on frequency coverage, than that is my question. If a speaker is rated at 80, it just seems like the sub has to climb a long way to reach some overlapping point, like 100, or 140, or some other number. I hope this makes sense.
      Roly

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Really this is was too speaker dependant to make a general statement about. But yes, generally some overlap is a good thing the way sub output tapers as it goes higher and the opposite for speakers. However to make a definitive point we'd have to see accurately measured specs for individual models and judge them accordingly.
        Jason

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rolyasm
          I understand the full-range thing and I understand the basic principle of becoming THX. Let me re-phrase a bit with my understanding. I was under the impression that you wanted some "extra frequency" in a speaker. Not sure what the correct terminology is, but say a speaker is rated down to 50Hz, I thought you would want to set the crossover higher, like at 80. If a speaker is rated at 80Hz, that doesn't mean it starts to roll of at 80 does it? I thought that it rolled higher? So if it does roll off higher than the bottom frequency range, an 80 Hz speaker would roll of somewhere higher? Correct? I was always under the impression one wanted some overlap. Is this incorrect? If it is correct, and you do want some overlap on frequency coverage, than that is my question. If a speaker is rated at 80, it just seems like the sub has to climb a long way to reach some overlapping point, like 100, or 140, or some other number. I hope this makes sense.
          Roly
          Rated shmated. Unless the roll-off is specified in, at least, -XdB @ YHz, stating that a speaker is rated at 80Hz means nothing. One standard is -3dB and, if one uses that standard, the roll-off is just beginning at that frequency and one can effectively cross it over to a sub at that point. (I'd try about 10Hz higher for power handling reasons with most speakers.)

So, small speakers have high -3dB points, bigger ones go lower, in general but if you are using a THX 80Hz crossover by default, how much lower it goes is somewhat academic. Again, power handling may be equally significant at those frequencies.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Very informative! Thanks Kal for your input here :T
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"