X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zzap
    • Sep 2003

THX certification

I'm sorry I missed this Q&A session

I wanted to hear what their stand was on THX certification.

I know that they've had products certified in the past but it seems that they've stopped certifying newer products - my RMB-1075 is certified, my RSP-1098 is not.

I - for one - would have liked a THX certified RSP-1098.
    I would even pay for an upgrade to have it THX certified.

The obvious reason that comes to mind is because the THX certification involves a (much) higher pricetag but perhaps the rep could have elaborated on 1) where Rotel stands wrt THX, 2) if such a certification could be done as an upgrade to RSP-1098 and 3) what such an upgrade - if it could be done - would cost (ballpark figure).
    /John
  • Zzap
    • Sep 2003

Why is the "New topic" button called "New post"?!?

The previous post should have been posted in the "Questions and Answer's from Rotel" topic.

Oh well...
    /John

Comment

• Aeromos
      • Jun 2003

Hehe!! Try clicking on "Post Reply" next time.

Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection
      Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Post=thread. So, new post, is a new thread. Reply is in this thread.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• I'mListening
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Zzap
          I'm sorry I missed this Q&A session

I wanted to hear what their stand was on THX certification.

I know that they've had products certified in the past but it seems that they've stopped certifying newer products - my RMB-1075 is certified, my RSP-1098 is not.

I - for one - would have liked a THX certified RSP-1098.
          I would even pay for an upgrade to have it THX certified.

The obvious reason that comes to mind is because the THX certification involves a (much) higher pricetag but perhaps the rep could have elaborated on 1) where Rotel stands wrt THX, 2) if such a certification could be done as an upgrade to RSP-1098 and 3) what such an upgrade - if it could be done - would cost (ballpark figure).
          Since many of the Rotel units exceed THX and THX Ultra specifications, why would you want to pay extra just to have the THX logo attached to your equipment? I have the RMB-1075 with the THX Ultra logo on it....but would have been fine paying a couple $100 less without it.

Just knowing that it surpasses their specs is good enuff for me.

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
          Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• ilko
            • Aug 2003

As long as THX does not guarantee any sound quality, what is the use? There is equipment that is far better than some of the THX ones that simply do not have a THX badge, because the manufacturer didn't apply for one. And then even more, sound is for the larger part a matter of taste. Why would you perticularly want a THX set, if a non-THX one sounds better?

Comment

• ilko
              • Aug 2003

As long as THX does not guarantee any sound quality, what is the use? There is equipment that is far better than some of the THX ones that simply do not have a THX badge, because the manufacturer didn't apply for one. And then even more, sound is for the larger part a matter of taste. Why would you perticularly want a THX set, if a non-THX one sounds better?

Comment

• Tha Freak
                • Jul 2003

do you seriously need Georges Lucas to tell you that your Rotel gears are good stuff???

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Zzap
                  • Sep 2003

The THX certification seems to be - in it's simplest form - a set of standards or specifications that a procuct must meet in order to be certified.
                  For processors however there is more involved than "just" a set of standards:

Rotel has certified products in the past but they have released RSP-1098 without a certification.
                  Apparently they were thinking of certifying the RSP-1066 but it later was abandoned:

I was - and still is - interested to hear what Rotel has to say about THX.
                  Have they abandoned THX and if not - if it might be introduced as an upgrade for the RSP-1098.
                  /John

Comment

• skipm
                    • Jun 2003

Personally, I glad the 1098 doesn't have THX certification. In my mind it's all just marketing hype. You have to have a THX certified pre-pro, amp, speakers, cables?, DVD player, etc., etc.. And will it sound that much better than a comparable system that is not THX certified. I don't think so.
                    I wonder how much of a receivers or pre-pro's cost is attributed to royalities. You got your DD, DTS, THX, DVI, HDMI, HDCP, i.Link, HDCD, DCDi, .... did I leave any out?

-Skip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I very much doubt we'll see a THX update for the 1098. Simply put its an added expense that offers little to most people. As for the THX standards you can now buy PC speakers that are THX certified, the Highlander DVD was THX certified and with all the various flavors of THX these days I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a THX popcorn maker.

Comment

• skipm
                        • Jun 2003

Andrew-

I didn't know you were a Highlander fan. Movie or TV series? There can be only one .... (I wonder why I always felt a tingle when entering this forum.)

-Skipm of the Clan Rotel

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I love the 1st and 3rd Highlander movies though I never got into the TV series. Seeing how bad the THX Highlander looked really put a distaste in me for the THX process...though their into is still an anthem worth cranking up

Comment

• eelco74
                            • Dec 2002

I love the original Highlander film, but after part 3, I stopped watching.

I have tried to watch the series several times, but never got to the end of the episode :-)

I also own the R1 version of Highlander 1. In holland we had to live with DPL sound, so I ordered mine in the US. The sound is awfull, but what do you expect form an old film like that.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe there is a box now, with all 4 movies. Talking about taking the consumer serious : there is a sticker on front of the box "now with DTS sound"

If you inspect the movie boxes itselft, you find a nice surprice.

Highlander 1, DTS sound, like that helps. The original is a 6 track analogue tape. Hardly needs DTS.
                            Highlander 2, DPL sound, huh ?, not even ac-3 ?
                            Highlander 3, AC-3, oh at least better than DLP. But sill no DTS
                            Highlander 4, AC-3, hm...so the oldest film gets DTS, the latest not ?

So a bit misleading. I skipped that box. I will keep my R1 version.

sorry to be off topic :-)

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• skipm
                              • Jun 2003

I too loved the original Highlander movie but the rest of them were pretty much crap. I really got into the TV series. It ran for 6 years, the first two are now available on DVD. The DVDs are great because they are the euro episodes that have an extra 5 to 6 minutes and they are not as censored as what we saw in the states.

-Skip

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"