Confused - HD formats and transmissions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fkatzenb
    • May 2006

Confused - HD formats and transmissions...

I understand the typical resolution formats of 480i, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. I also understand that 1080p is not common because not many displays support it. I believe some up convertors do support it... can't remember that manufacture AVR?

Anyway, part of my confusion is component (RGB) and HDMI. I know what component is, and was under the impression that component transmission can support upto 1080p. So what is HDMI for?

What about DVI? It seemed that it was going to be popular. What are its limitations and supported resolutions as stated above? I know that from a computer standpoint, I use DVI from my LCD panel and it seems to be better then the VGA cable setup on my secondary LCD. (I have the ATI Radeon X850? or something like that) Now more confusion was laden about a year ago (when I had my 9800pro) that a computers DVI is not compatable with the DVI seen on the back of the modern TV. Is this true? If so why and what's different in terms of what they support.

So that leaves me to my next question. I am thinking about using my current computer to interface with my home theater system. I was going to use either the DVI or component output from the video card and plug right into the TV.... which is better? In addition, will it pump out a HD signal, or is that depended on the content I push thru the video card say a movie/dvd? Of course the audio is cake in comparison because that is just going to be connected thru the optical port on the back of my reciever.

Sorry for the long post, but needed to figure it out.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

My Equipment:
    Yamaha RX-V757 Reciever
    Bose VCS-10 Center Channel
    JBL E60 Front & Rear Channels
    Dayton Titanic 15" Sub
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Component is not RGB, it's YUV. Component is a format with three signals, a luminance signal and two color difference signals. RGB is the pure color signals as it sounds like, often accompanied by H and V sync lines, though in "olden" days sync might be multiplexed onto the green. RGB is the closest to what it takes to actually drive a display like a CRT, for example.

DVI-D and HDMI are close cousins, but with a different connectors, for transmitting digital video. Digital video can be transmitted in both component and RGB formats. Both DVI and HDMI can have HDCP copy protection. HDMI adds the capability for digital transmission of audio. DVI can include DVI-I, which is translatable with a simple adatper to RGBHV (VGA in computer parlance).

Google is your friend...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fkatzenb
      • May 2006

Yeh I was slacking on the research because I wasnt in the mood.... here is a start after doing some searching....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface (including D, I, A)

If I understand properly....
      So the typical DVI typically only supports 1080i unless you have one that can transmit in a dual channel setup which will give you 1080p. However most TVs are not compatable because they only accept HDCP. If this is true, are their hacks?

Looks like I am just going to use the RGB output cable from my computer to the TV since the TV only does 1080i and might not even have a a compatable DVI input.

Frank
      Frank Katzenberger

My Equipment:
      Yamaha RX-V757 Reciever
      Bose VCS-10 Center Channel
      JBL E60 Front & Rear Channels
      Dayton Titanic 15" Sub

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        Both DVI and HDMI can have HDCP copy protection.
        One nit, DVI can have it, but I believe HDMI MUST have HDCP. I think it is part of the spec.

BB

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"