Infocus 4805 & DVI or Component (From Argentina!!!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R@p+0r
    • Dec 2004

Infocus 4805 & DVI or Component (From Argentina!!!)

Hello everybody!, i just join this great forum. My name is Claudio and I'm from Argentina.

I'm going to buy a 4805 in a few days and I have a few doubts.
    -Is really a huge difference on quality image for component or DVI inputs?

-On the site, Infocus sell's a DVI-component adapter, Can it help to improve quality? I ask you this, because i noticed that there is omly a few DVD players that have DVI input and MULTIREGION (we in Argentina have region 4)

-This projector is 856x480 and DVI begins with 720p, no? this can cause some bad scaling or something like that?

-and the last on , I noticed that some dvd players are progressive scan, but they dont have 3:2 pulldown. Is this possible? and if a want a good video quality, would I need a dvd player with this feature? or there is a small diffence?

Thanks to everyone, and I hope you can help me! :T
    Sorry for my english :P
    Last edited by R@p+0r; 12 December 2004, 15:56 Sunday.
  • R@p+0r
    • Dec 2004

Anybody? plz!

Comment

• rustdust
      • Dec 2004

From some of the searches I have done on the subject, no it's not a noticable differance to have DVI over component (on a DVI compatible DVD player), I can't see a noticable differance between S video and component either. I have read it a waste of money to buy any of the upconverter DVD players for a projector that does 856X480. I can't really tell you if DVI is better but in a couple of weeks I will have a DVI cable and be able to compair the two for myself. My DVI will be connected to my computer so that my make a big difference.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

well, the 4805 is a 480P display and most DVD players are 480P also, so a DVI will theoretically give you the best picture because there will be less digital to analog conversion. There's no way to really know for sure unless you try it out. As for component vs. S video, most people can see the difference between the 2. So I'd say at least go for a higher quality component. And since the 4805 is a 480P display, getting a DVD player that upconverts to 720P won't make a improvement with the 4805. The 4805 will have to scale it down to 480 resolution.

Comment

• R@p+0r
          • Dec 2004

Thanks very much!!! anybody on the progressive issue?

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Uh, no... if I understand your question, what you should look for is a progressive-scan DVD player. Any model you choose should have correct decoding (pretty much) and put out the 480p signal you need.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• R@p+0r
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
              Uh, no... if I understand your question, what you should look for is a progressive-scan DVD player. Any model you choose should have correct decoding (pretty much) and put out the 480p signal you need.
              Thats what I suppose, but some people told me (they claim to be "experts" in this) only the DVD players with 3:2 pulldown are ther "real" progressive scan players. This might be right, if you see the spec for many players most of them are progressive, but not 3:2 pulldown. Only a few has it, the more expensive.

Regards

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Well, getting into the nitty gritty details, there's all sorts of decoding details that a projector can be judged by in correctly displaying a video image. 3:2 pulldown is one of them. Some items are noticeable only by those who know what they're looking for, other items are more readily obvious. Secrets of HiFi talks about a lot of these things, and judges DVD players based on them.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

DVI does support 480p. So while the upconverting ability of a DVD player would be wasted (in fact, your projector would have to scale it back down to 480p), you would get the benefit of the digital signal path, which might give a picture with a little less noise and slightly better color and detail. Might be barely or not noticeable though, depends on the player and your PJ.

Non-progressive player's CANNOT do 3:2 pulldown as that is part of de-interlacing, and by definition, an interlaced output DVD player is not doing this.

Your basic goal in buying a progressive player should be one that does better de-interlacing and 3:2 pulldown than the projector does. The 4805 has Faroudja Dcdi, which, while it has become sort of commodotized, is nonethelss pretty good de-interlacing, and likely the same thing you will find in a lot of progressive players.

BB

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

I don't own this projector, i've seen it in person and done quite a bit of research on it. I've heard of people having problem feeding it with a progressive signal since it already has the Faroudja DCDi on it. And they claimed that the problem went away wen feeding it with a interlaced signal and let the projector do the de-interlacing. I'd look for a quality DVD player that can send a progressive and interlaced signal by choice. Maybe some of the 4805 owners here can correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Yeah, this is somethign I'm hearing frequently, the 4805 does best with an inexpensive player selected more for basic frequency response and lack of Chroma bug- feed it interlaced, and you'll probably be happiest. Like my friend ThomasW; now he's using my old Sony DVPS7000 in his main HT, because it's feeding a Faroudja NRS scaler.

~Jon
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• R@p+0r
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                        I don't own this projector, i've seen it in person and done quite a bit of research on it. I've heard of people having problem feeding it with a progressive signal since it already has the Faroudja DCDi on it. And they claimed that the problem went away wen feeding it with a interlaced signal and let the projector do the de-interlacing. I'd look for a quality DVD player that can send a progressive and interlaced signal by choice. Maybe some of the 4805 owners here can correct me if i'm wrong.
                        Do you think this dvd player can do the job? --> Pioneer 578-S

Thanks

Comment

• ti33er
                          • Apr 2004

The 4805 does best with a 480p signal IMO - when I run mine in 480i the machine runs in "overscan" which shrinks the whole picture by 5% and I get a lit border around the pictures edges...also I don't notice the 3:2 pulldown horizontal lines with a Progressive feed!? - I am in the UK and we use PAL (570 lines), but these are my findings so far and I have had this machine for about 6 months now...500hours of play.
                          "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Ymcapolis
                            • May 2005

Otro argentino...

Hola Claudio, compré el 4805 hace unos días, soy de Capital.
                            Si crees que puedo ayudarte (Y hasta quizás vos a mí también) nos ponemos en contacto. Decime si te interesa.

Marcelo.

Comment

• Booker
                              • May 2005

Otro mas!..ya somos tres...you estoy entre este y el Sanyo Z2, creo que voy a ir por el Sanyo, por ser 720p, y como soy un gamer a full la resolucion me interesa mucho...

aunque todavia no descarte el 4805.....

Comment

• Ymcapolis
                                • May 2005

Yo todavía no lo probé con juegos, de hecho vendí mi PS hace tiempo, y ahora no tengo. Lo estoy usando para películas, básicamente todo video. Y la verdad, 10 puntos...

Comment

• Booker
                                  • May 2005

yes for dvd is perfect, better than z2 since the resolution is not important on dvd since they are 480p...but in games they are.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"