Very dissapointed in new JVC 1080p DLP...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctnsupra1
    • Dec 2006

Very dissapointed in new JVC 1080p DLP...

I finally took the plunge and got a big screen for my lower level/media room with a JVC HD-ILA set. It's the 56" model with 1080p resolution. I do not have my HD DirecTV setup yet so I can only comment on standard defintion satelite and DVDs-here are my problems:

Standard defintion looks like crap. I have heard and seen some standard def. stuff played on other RPTVs (restuarants, friend's places) and know that the PQ wasn't the greatest but this looks like I'm watching a 15 year old TV. The picture is full of jaggies and there is so much noise in the picture it hurts to watch it for more than a half hour. When I hookup my DVD player (Oppo DV971HD using both DVI and component) has less noise but is still far from what I expect. There is noticable noticable noise (I think it's what they call mosquito netting) on lighter areas of scenes and ghosting. When I put in Saving Private Ryan there were vertical lines that ran the full length of the screen when there were contrasting colors of light and dark (i.e. a dark scene with a fire somewhere in the picture). Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? I read, after the purchase, that JVC does not have stellar customer service and I don't want hassle with a tech coming out. Am I expecting too much from my DLP set or is there something wrong with it? This has been my biggest purchase in my AV setup and so far I'm thinking I should return it and get a plasma. Thanks for your input.

Conor
  • DSGCobra
    • Feb 2003

I have the JVC 61" HD-61FH97 and do not see any of the problems you are experiencing. I had a sammy 50" DLP prior to this set and know how SD cable looks an a big screen but it's not nearly as bad as you are talking about and the JVC actually improved the quality. My 1080P Blu-ray player and 1080P HD-DVD player are nothing short of amazing on this set. I know because it uses a 3-chip LCoS system it is very sensitive when it comes to banging the set around or dare I say dropping it. It's entirely possible something got out of wack with the 3 chip projector system itself. If it is as bad as it sounds I would get JVC on the phone and have some one check the calibration of the projector itself.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

First off just to clarify DLP and HD-ILA (LCOS) are two seperate technologies.

Otherwise it sounds like you got a lemon or a unit damaged/thrown out of proper function in shipping. Call your retailer or JVC and get it fixed or replaced

When you do get it fixed/replaced make sure you calibrate it with either DVE or Avia or get it ISF'd to get the most out of the set as well.
      Jason

Comment

• ctnsupra1
        • Dec 2006

DSGCobra-

Thanks for the reply, I know this set is supposed to have very good picture quality and your impressions are what I thought I was getting. Here are a few images from mine:

This is a soccer game on Setanta sports, the team numbers are legible but terribly fuzzy and the Manchester United logo is unintelligble:

And here is the problem I was talking about in Saving Private Ryan:

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

I have an older (2nd generation) 56" 720p HDILA set, and I would agree that the cleanup of poor quality standard def TV feeds is not a strong point of the JVC sets. But if you DVD feed is not looking good, then there is an issue somewhere.

From the weird streaking on the birght fires in the screenshot, either the displayoptic electronics have some drive issue, or something is funky with the main mirror, but probably the former.

Either way, the set is bad. Address it from that standpoint.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yikes, dude. Definitely something wrong with the set. Since you just bought it new, I'd check into warranty work.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

the SD is normal

the dvd is not

let us know what happens

Comment

• DSGCobra
                • Feb 2003

I don't know even the SD doesn't look all that good and the DVD feed is horrible. There is definitely something wrong with that set. I would get JVC on the horn ASAP.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Conor,I agree something is wrong with your TV. When I was selling HD-ILAs they were notorius for needing a digital source. Regular cable looked terrible on them,but your Oppo should look great-and your SD looks worse than I've seen before. Did you have it delivered and set up professionally? I've seen some bad things happen when laying it flat for the trip home from the store.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ctnsupra1
                    • Dec 2006

My brother and I picked it up at the store and loaded it upright in our pickup. I do not think it was anything on our end that would have been considered rough handling. I spoke with JVC and they weren't much of a help as to what the problem was only that I should take it back to the store and exchange it for another unit. Hopefully the next one will be better...Thanks for everyone's input.

Conor

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ctnsupra1
                      My brother and I picked it up at the store and loaded it upright in our pickup. I do not think it was anything on our end that would have been considered rough handling. I spoke with JVC and they weren't much of a help as to what the problem was only that I should take it back to the store and exchange it for another unit. Hopefully the next one will be better...Thanks for everyone's input.

Conor
                      pay the $50 this time for delivery to alleviate all liability and hassle this time !
                      they can refuse a return if you dont (rightfully so)
                      plus if it doesnt work out of the box they are there to exchange it for you

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"