X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • draganm
    • Jul 2005

Marquee CRT projector and DVI input card

A few people have inquired on this board in the past about being able to input a DVI signal into their CRT projector. For about a year now, a guy named Moome in Hong Kong has been manufacturing cards that plug directly into the electrohome Marquee, Sony, Barco, and NEC CRT projectors. The card accpets both DVI and component with a little switch on the back. This is nice because while most CRt's had a component input card as an option the Marquee's I run never did. Last night I finally had a chance to play around with the moome card at friends house and compare different signals and resolutions. I had seen the card previously but didn't mess around with it. On that occasion, upscaled 960P from an HTPC looked a little better than HDTV through DVI.
    Last night we compared a Component (YbYgYr) signal direct from cable box sending 1080i to the moome card, A CS2 scaler sending DVI to Moome card, and finally and HTPC/Radeon sending up-scaled 1080P through RGB.
    The clear winner was the straight, unprocessed 1080i from cable-box to the component input on the moome card. Magnificent picture, colors were excellent, overall very sharp and dynamic. Pic seemed to pop off the screen. we were watching a baseball game and I remarked it was like sitting in the club-house.
    Runner up was upscaled 1080P from HTPC, Looked very good but not as sharp as HDTV/1080i. Part of this was a very flimsy (temporary) RGB cable and long cable run. The HT isn't quite finished so i'm looking forward to getting a short Bleden cable in there that can handle the full analog bandwidth of 1080P. Still, 1080P looked very much like 960P on my personal 8500, a very good pic.
    The big loser here was the DVI port on the moome card, It looked terrible. Pic was very flat with no dynamic range. Also very soft and artificial looking . There wasn't an adjustment that would change this, and it pretty much confirms what others are seeing with the DVI port on this card.
    Conclusion: The moome card is still an excellent vlaue for $200. simply for the option of getting component in to your Marquee or any other CRT. Unfortunately, with the impending DVI standard it will need a lot of work before it''s an acceptable solution for CRT guys to use a DVI signal. I for one will be using the card to receive HD broadcast through component and sticking with an RGB/HTPC for movies, switching between the 2 inputs on the projector itself. When the approrpiate Hd-DVD player software comes out for my HTPC I will using that and hopefully still be able to use VGA/RGB signal (if available form future video-cards)? In other words I have NO intention of dropping $500. on Blue Ray player . The whole thing reminds me of the "latest gadget" scam and i'm not about to get burned. Plus, all reports on sony BR is it's a total failure, something like 75% of buyers polled on forums are returning theirs. :E
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Thanks for the review.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Don't know about BluRay but....

I use one of the AVS 'special edition' DTrovision DVi >VGA adaptors to run the HDMI out from my Toshiba HD-DVD player to my NEC CRT. Looks pretty good to me.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

EDIT: I've found the ditrovision here, it's actually a Transcoder and not just and adapter
        http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ideo/DCDA1.ASP, looks like an interesting alternative for $350.? I wish they offered a 5BNC output instead of VGA but you can't have it all.
        720P native from the Toshiba is supposed to be fantastic. What have you compared it to as far as other sources. How were you upscaling progressive scan DVD before the Toshi/720P/DVI. I also know some people are also getting eye-popping results by taking 1080i from the Toshi and scaling it to 1080P on their 9" machines? The Toshiba HD-DVD seems to be universally raved about by anyone who has tried it. It won't do 1080P but who cares. The whole 1080P native source thing for now just another empty promise and remains a pipe-dream for Sony.
        the possibilities are endless, I wish my wallet wasn't. :P
        BTW, I should point out that excellent resuts have been reported inputing HDTV through moome DVI card into Sony G70's and NEC XG machines. For some reason the Marquee chassis doesnt like the DVI slot?
        Last edited by draganm; 10 July 2006, 20:35 Monday.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"