X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

DVI or Component??

Hello All,

I want a second unit for the bedroom (Panny BD30). It will be hooked up to a Sony 34XBR910 1080i TV. This set has component & DVI inputs. For the best picture, which is the best way to hook up the BD player:

HDMI TO DVI
    or
    COMPONENT
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I'd go with HDMI to DVI, that way you are keeping an all digital signal. The component is analog and I think the digital is a slight bit more crisp.

Best thing to do is if you have extra cables, is test it out, see which you think looks better.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ditto - go digital.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Depends on the source and displays inputs/outputs. Digital has the capacity to look better on digital displays but doesn't always. Try both and pick the one that looks best.
        Jason

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

HDMI -> DVI can have a lot of problems. Particularly with colorspace (sRGB vs PC-RGB) and HDMI handshake.
          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Little Sant, you took the words right out of my mouth. I had to try three HDMI to DVI cables before finding one to work. My experience was so bad, I won't even represent them as 3rd party on my cable site.

Ironically, you can't actually buy the one that works here that I am aware of. It was a factory sample sent to me from Tiawan. I really wanted to order them, but fear of unknown and likely quantities required stopped me. I also tried an adapter, that failed miserably.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

I used and HDMI > DVI cable for quite a while, and had no problems whatsoever. I recently got rid of the tv (older rptv style), and got an adaptor to make the cable HDMI > HDMI and it works just as well now with my lcd.
              Brad

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

Thanks All,

I used the component cables for the Panny BD30 & used the HDMI>DVI for the Oppo.
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

again, as I said it's cable dependent. I tried one, wouldn't work. I tried adapter, wouldn't work, third try was the charm for me.
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"