X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

Use of Trigger Signal

HI All,
    I am a recent HT owner with all new equipment. While I was setting things up, I ran into something I had never seen before: TRIGGERS. None of my manuals gave more than passing mention so I ignored them for a while. At several Radio Shack's I asked for an HT Trigger cable and they had no idea what I was talking about. If they don't know, I figured that Triggers may not be common knowledge. I flat did not know what they were used for.

Well, I finally figured out (I'm a slow learner) what they are after I bought my Krell pre and amp. Now I am using Triggers in several novel ways which I will talk about if this thread has any legs. The remotely controlled Krell preamp has a Trigger output (they don't call it a Trigger which further confuses the situation) that can be used to remotely turn on their power amp which, otherwise, does not have a remote power on capability. It's really neat.

I have not seen much mention of the Trigger signals here. I got to wondering if anyone else is using them and how they are using them.

If we can share our experiences maybe we can inform others who might be in the same state of ignorance I was. I have found Triggers to be a powerful and clever feature that offer some unique control possibilities.

Thanks, Sparky
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Karma,

I utilize 12v triggers for my RMB-1095 amp, and CD player. I was using the trigger for my RB-1080 as well, but experienced fuse blowing issues, (which may or may not be related). I primarily use them for the convenience factor.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I only have one in use... my power center has a 12v trigger output that turns on my main power amp. The rest of my gear doesn't have the ability for remote power on.
      Danish

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I use 12v triggers to turn on both of my amps when I turn on my pre/pro. That's it for now. But I have the capability of adding functions for my Lutron Grafik Eye light, projector, and screen curtains.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

None of my gear has triggering circuits. But I created triggering systems by using Furman remote sequencers (design for remote operation of prosound gear, each will turn on/off 3 pieces of gear, up to a total draw of 20 amps)

I created the triggering current by getting cheap 12VDC power supplies that are switched on/off with a standard wall switch.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
            This is pretty interesting stuff. I have a question for you veterans. I learned that my Denon 3805 AV receiver has two independent Trigger outputs. In the setup menus there is a section devoted to the programming of the two Triggers. Each input to the receiver can be assigned to each of the Triggers independently. Thus, each Trigger can have a different or identical mix of assigned inputs.

When, for example, the TV input is assigned to Trigger 1, the trigger signal goes to +12V whenever the receiver is on and the TV input is selected. The TV input can also be assigned to Trigger 2 or not depending on need.

Is this a common feature? It seems to me that Denon did a good job of anticipating our system needs. Currently, I'm only using Trigger 1 which is assigned to TV, VCR, DVR, DVD and my DVD Recorder inputs.

Sparky

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
              Well, I guess I was right. Triggers are not being used by very many systems if the response to this thread is indicative. Gonna push this thread up to the top to see if more reply.

Sparky

Comment

• Skynut
                • Mar 2006

My Sunfire triggers my amp and my power conditioner to turn on. My power conditioner then turns on my subwoofers with a delayed start to avoid a power surge.
                My system takes about 40 seconds to start producing music after I turn on the Sunfire but I only need to start the one piece.
                My dvd player does not have a trigger so I need to turn that on manually.
                Skynut

Comment

• Skynut
                  • Mar 2006

I understand they (triggers) can also be used for remote lighting, powered screens, powered curtains, and many other things.
                  Skynut

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"