X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audunth
    • Sep 2003

12V trigger jacks on RSX1055

Hi!

Does anyone know how many mA the 12V trigger out jacks can deliver, and if the it can be used to power a small fan?

I have my system in a cabinet, and to ensure proper cooling, I thought I'd mount a small computer fan in the cabinet wall. So I thought it would be really cool to use the 12V trigger jacks to power the fan, that way I wouldn't have to spend money on a 12V power supply, and, best of all, the fan would automatically run when the receiver is turned on.

-Audun
    Regards,
    Audun
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Goud question! I'd email tech support and ask them.

Comment

• Jaime
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      Goud question! I'd email tech support and ask them.
      Andrew, did you ask rotel about this?, I would also like to do that

Thanks

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Jamie no i didn't as I assumed Audun would be emailing them. If you didn't get an answer however let me know and I'll do some digging.

Comment

• Jaime
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
          Jamie no i didn't as I assumed Audun would be emailing them. If you didn't get an answer however let me know and I'll do some digging.
          Yes, Andrew... I'd be greatfull if you can do that
          thanks

Comment

• audunth
            • Sep 2003

Hi!

The answer I got from Rotel was only that it wasn't ment for that kind of use.

However, in the 1055 FAQ on Rotel's site, it states that " The 12V trigger current output of the RSX 1055 is enough to trigger one 200mA device, or two lower current devices such as other Rotel components.", so if you use a fan that draws less that 200 mA of current, I guess it should work okay. It might be a good idea to find one that draws well under 200 mA, cause it'll probably draw a little more than specified current the moment it starts up.

I haven't gotten around to test it myself yet, so if anyone decides to try, let me know how it goes! (And if something goes wrong, please don't hold me responsible!)

Regards,
            Audun
            Regards,
            Audun

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

It would be a whole lot safer and only about $3 more expensive just to pop a 12v relay from RadioShack. I think 110V fans are a little cheaper to, so just go with a 12v coil, 110VAC contact..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"