X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdkoola
    • Feb 2006

newbie help: athena b1.2 versus epos els-3

Hi,

I was wondering for some opinions on a pair of Athena B1.2 versus the Epos ELS 3. I got the Athena's for ~$100, and the Epos for around $200 (I might be able to push them a little lower). It seems that's a great price for the Epos.

In listening to them, I see what other people say about the clarity of the midrange on the Epos. Also, in line with reviews, it *seems* like the Athena's have better base. I should mention that I have not done a blind A/B comparison.

I'm just starting a home theatre/music setup. I'm listening primarily to music, some movies (80/20). I don't know if that matters because I am currently not investing in a 5.1 setup. Because I am just starting out, I am trying to constrain costs.

Any comments on the ease of matching a center to the Athena's versus the Epos? (just thinking about the future) Or any opinions from others that have auditioned these two.

Also, I am using a Harman Kardon 335 to power the speakers. I know the Epos are rated at 4 ohms, but according to stereophile they never really dip that low. They sound plenty loud, so I don't see any problem with the 335 driving the speakers, but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a risk of damaging the equipment.

Thanks,

JD
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Jd. No, I don't think you'll damage the HK. Pushing a heavy 4-ohm load for a sustained period it may shut itself down, but once it cools down it'll be ready to go again.

If you are 80% music and only 20% movies, why not run your system with it set to "phantom" center channel? That way you don't have to worry about tone-matching a center, and consequently can save that money until you are ready to take the 5.1 plunge.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jdkoola
      • Feb 2006

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply. I just thought I'd mention a few things for others who might be looking into these speakers:

1. So far I have had no problem driving the Epos with the HK 335 for ~ 20 hours, at chunks of time that range from 1 hour to 3 hours.

2. The athenas don't necessarily have a better bass response. The Epos does a pretty good job once a little break-in time is allowed. I should note that I do not have a sub yet, and in both cases a sub is truly necessary.

3. The athenas seem to be a little more laid back, whereas the Epos seems to be a little more forward, though not intrusively so.

4. The clarity of the athenas is really astounding given the price.

Overall, I think I'm closer to getting the athenas and spending the money I save on an entry level sub.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"