X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

System integration question...

This seems to me to be a system integration question so I hope this is the right forum...

I have a simple but pleasing two-channel audio system comprising a Denon DVD player, a Linn integrated amplifier, and a recently-completed pair of Eton 3-way speakers. I'm preparing to add a Panasonic plasma TV with satellite feed to replace my rarely-watched 21" CRT and antenna-on-the-roof. The TV I'm considering is the TH-**PHD8UK, either a 42" or 50".

This represents a significant increase in technical complexity for a simple chap like me, and I'm getting a little confused over how all this stuff will be connected, especially since the TV will not have a tuner or speakers of its own and has limited inputs.

The TV has the following inputs: composite video (1), S-video (1), component video (1 set of 3), VGA (1), stereo audio (1 pair), PC audio (1), plus an RS232C. It has a single composite video output. A variety of expansion cards are available, but I'm getting lost trying to figure out what I need.

First question: for satellite TV, the receiver (yet to be acquired) appears to have component video and audio, S-video, DVI-D, and optical digital audio outputs. Am I right in assuming that the appropriate connections would be to connect the component video to the TV and the component audio to my amplifier, and leave it at that?

Second question: for DVDs and CDs, would the same component connections apply? (video to TV, audio to amp, in which case the TV will be one set short).

I guess the real question is simply: "what is the optimum way to connect these things for good video and uncompromised stereo audio, and what expansion cards would I need, if any?" Various expansion cards are available to add component video, HMDI video, etc., but they're not cheap.

In the fullness of time, I will probably change both the amp and DVD player to add 5.1 sound, as long as it doesn't compromise the two-channel audio quality. Would this have any implications for the TV/expansion card question?

Sorry to bore you with such elementary questions - hope you can help out. Thanks,

Martyn
  • Booster
    • Jul 2005

The way I did my system was to connect sat box via component video to the screen, optical audio to processor/amp. The DVD player connected via HDMI with the optional card from Panasonic for video and coax for audio. Video switching is by the plasma. Works great.
    The Booster

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I also currently run alll my video through the TV. My HD-cable box is connected via component video and analog L/R to the TV (in the event we want to watch TV without the HT system running). Then I connected the digital audio output to my pre/pro for discrete (and matrixed) surround.

DVD player is connected via component to the TV and digital to the pre/pro.
      Jason

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Martyn,

I run all my components through my Pre-Pro ( Rotel RSP-1098 ) via component wiring for convenience. Some say you should connect directly to the TV to get the best picture, bypassing your receiver, others like myself, enjoy the option of being able to switch everything via my pre-pro.

However, I am experimenting with HDMI and since my pre-pro doesn't currently support this technology I will have to connect directly to my projector to see if there is any video improvements in the picture.

Test things for yourself and determine what you like best, afterall experimentation is the fun part of this hobby . Just my $0.02.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

Thanks, fellas. Sound like this shouldn't be too difficult. I appreciate your comments.

Martyn

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"