Need a quality processor... whatcha got!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Need a quality processor... whatcha got!

Ok, im looking to replace my Sunfire Theater Grand II and will be moving all my equipment next to and around my TV to behind me in the corner of my room. I want to have just a TV and speakers in view, keep it clean.
    So with that, I am looking for a new processor to incorperate the following.

Toshiba up convert DVD with HDMI
    PS2 with component
    Xbox with component
    Denon CD player
    Aragon Amp.

Now what I would like to do is keep it simple, is it poss (or is there a processor out there that does this?) that I can take all my inputs (component, hdmi, etc) and run them through one HDMI cable to the TV?

I havent even looked into it, and ive never used HDMI or DVI cables, so i dont know how how they work and what not, last time i got into this, component video was the latest and greatest.... ops:

Im wanting to run the video cable (or cables) from the processor (along with my speaker wires from the amp) down through the floor, through the unfinished basement, and up right behind the tv (and speakers placed next to the tv)

So is that poss, what do I need to do?
    B&W
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

wait till HDMI 1.3 is finalized
    Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

:x Ok, what is that!? LOL. ( you yanking my chain?)

And when! I can wait till the end of the year if im good...

Guess I will be running several component vid cables through the floor. :x
      B&W

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Latest version of HDMI, especially usefull with upcoming HD-DVD/BluRay. You should begin to see compatible hardware in the second half of this year
        Jason

Comment

• Wick
          • Dec 2005

Does the HDMI 1.3 require a certain type of HDTV?
          Paul

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I believe it's mostly audio related (besides the HD video from HD-DVD/BluRay) and the video "should" be backwards compatible with previous HDMI versions and DVI.
            Jason

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I decided to order the bryston sp2. The video is done entirely external at this point, so you can get a video switcher or do whatever you want for your video. they promise to make an upgrade when hdmi 1.3 comes out. they are really making this unit as future proof as possible by doing this, as the video will be the piece changing in the coming year, not so much the audio. plus you get balanced outputs, so you can put the pre/pro in a rack behind you, run balanced cables to amps up front near your speakers to use shorter speaker cables and get the most out of your system.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko
                I decided to order the bryston sp2. The video is done entirely external at this point, so you can get a video switcher or do whatever you want for your video. they promise to make an upgrade when hdmi 1.3 comes out. they are really making this unit as future proof as possible by doing this, as the video will be the piece changing in the coming year, not so much the audio. plus you get balanced outputs, so you can put the pre/pro in a rack behind you, run balanced cables to amps up front near your speakers to use shorter speaker cables and get the most out of your system.
                Well with HD versions of both DD and DTS coming out as well, you might want to double check the audio side of HDMI as well If they make a 1.3 update available you should be fine though.
                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Good article on 1.3

Jason

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                    Well with HD versions of both DD and DTS coming out as well, you might want to double check the audio side of HDMI as well If they make a 1.3 update available you should be fine though.
                    Bryston is watching this closely and plans to come up with a solution once one is available, instead of jumping the gun and possibly making the wrong one and outdating the hardware, which I fear classe has done with the ssp-300 and 600.

plus, you have to buy the 600 from classe to get what you get from the bryston (balanced outs and 2 ch preamp), at the cost of the ssp-300.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                      ...I fear classe has done with the ssp-300 and 600.
                      Actually neither the SSP-300 nor the SSP-600 support HDMI. The CDP-300 supports HDMI and is limited to output only and is intended for 1080p video (the forth coming CDP-300V will handle both HDMI video inputs and outputs, video switching and scalling). The seven RCA inputs found on both SSP's will accept all high resolution audio formats (DD+, DD-THD and DTS-HD) from any high definition player that utilizes the corresponding outputs, which virtually all will do. The only real advantage to HDMI audio, at this time, is the convenience of using one cable.
                      Last edited by RebelMan; 21 February 2006, 04:01 Tuesday.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

That was a good read, thanks!
                        So HDMI is basicly your component video and RCA audio all in one neat little plug? (this is new to me) And now with HDMI 1.3 that is suppose to be released in the first half of 06, that is basicly supporting the 1080p and also the new audio formats being released?

Also that article stated that HD DVD is due out in march, and blue ray along with HDMI 1.3 is due out first half of this year.

I think i can wait a bit, all the better! Thanks.
                        B&W

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          Actually neither the SSP-300 nor the SSP-600 support HDMI. The CDP-300 supports HDMI and is limited to output only and is intended for 1080p video (the forth coming CDP-300V will handle both HDMI video inputs and outputs, video switching and scalling). The seven RCA inputs found on both SSP's will accept all high resolution audio formats (DD+, DD-THD and DTS-HD) from any high definition player that utilizes the corresponding outputs, which virtually all will do. The only real advantage to HDMI audio, at this time, is the convenience of using one cable.
                          Don't forget the generally improved bass management, delay and any room correction that may be available in the pre/pro as compared to the players. Those will only work over the HDMI connection
                          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

Don't forget the generally improved bass management, delay and any room correction that may be available in the pre/pro as compared to the players. Those will only work over the HDMI connection
                            Incorrect. The new HK 640 and 740 receivers will do it via HDMI 1.1 or analog ins. The bass manager/room correction etc is available via the 7.1 analog ins.

It is a very rare feature though.

The first generation of HD DVD players will not be hdmi v1.3. Those won't be out for a good while. For now you'll need HDMI v1.1 and the audio will be sent via hdmi pcm while the dvd player is the decoder.

I wouldn't expect HDMI V1.3 to show up until atleast Cedia in September and then when those receivers/pre processors come out with that you should expect a delay.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                              Incorrect. The new HK 640 and 740 receivers will do it via HDMI 1.1 or analog ins. The bass manager/room correction etc is available via the 7.1 analog ins.

It is a very rare feature though.

The first generation of HD DVD players will not be hdmi v1.3. Those won't be out for a good while. For now you'll need HDMI v1.1 and the audio will be sent via hdmi pcm while the dvd player is the decoder.

I wouldn't expect HDMI V1.3 to show up until atleast Cedia in September and then when those receivers/pre processors come out with that you should expect a delay.
                              And that would require an extra analog to digital conversion

And as I mentioned the newer 1.3 versions won't be available until the latter half (or I suppose 3/4) of the year. IMO the rest is just stop-gap and it's worth waiting.
                              Jason

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                • Oct 2002

Another option is the new Anthem D2 with HDMI switching and a world class scaler based on the Gennum VXP chip (direct competitor to Realta HQV). It will accept everything from 480i to 1080p in and will output any resolution up to 1080p. And performing real per-pixel adaptative de-interlacing, and not simple Bob and weave...

This scaler is alot better then anything on the market right now from DVDO IScan, Lumagen or Crystalio, that are all using the old Faroudja and Sil solutions. The upcoming Crystalio II with the same Gennum VXP chip will cost 4500$. Ouch.

You can update the D1 for 1500$ and have the same HDMI switching, and the same Gennum chip...
                                To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

If you want something now, Parasound has released their HDMI addition to their processors, so you can use their Halo C1, Halo C2, or New Classic 7100 processors and have HDMI switching through the Zhd HDMI switcher addition. This is currently what I'm doing, and will be able to do everything you mentioned in your first post. The Zhd is HDMI 1.3 compliant.

If you're looking for the perfect solution with HDMI, I too would wait another 6-12 months until HDMI is even MORE incorporated into new A/V processors. For instance, Parasound may be adding even more HDMI capability to those processors to include DTS-HD and Dolby Digital Plus decoding found in the new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats. Many other manufacturers may be doing this as well.
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2001

And that would require an extra analog to digital conversion
                                    The HDMI solution for the HK is all digital. HDMI PCM --> HDMI Digital ins on the HK

As I said though it's a rare feature. There are several features on the new HK's that aren't even on the latest Lexicons.

Chris and Lev,
                                    Regardless of which version you have, you'll need to upgrade the on board processing of both to take advantage of Dolby and DTS HD unless either one of those will do what the HK will with its BM and EQ. Otherwise the player is the decoder no matter what and on top of that the Bass manager and whatever EQ that the processor has will be useless. AFAIK, not even the Lexicon 12b will do what the newest HKs will when it comes to its bass manager and such. That said they will probably upgrade it soon.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Well I was referring to this:

The bass manager/room correction etc is available via the 7.1 analog ins.
                                      But that is a nice perk the HK's have with the HDMI in as well.
                                      Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

I've heard that HDMI 1.3 won't be available for an another 1 1/2 or 2 years, and that it will also require hardware upgrades to accomodate the additional bandwidth. ( I'm not really sure though).

Here is the HDMI site, which may enhance your knowledge:

HDMI

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the link!
                                          B&W

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2001

I've heard that HDMI 1.3 won't be available for an another 1 1/2 or 2 years, and that it will also require hardware upgrades to accomodate the additional bandwidth. ( I'm not really sure though).
                                            I've heard the same thing regarding both. Though I wouldn't be shocked to see hdmi 1.3 products at CES 2007. Since i'm planning on going I'll try to see when I'm there

I do know that it does require a hardware upgrade to go to hdmi v1.3(not software).

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"