Component and composite cable Q's. Please lend me a hand.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyraines
    • Feb 2006

Component and composite cable Q's. Please lend me a hand.

I am very new to HT systems, so you'll have to forgive me.

I recently purchased a new TV and HT system. I was looking for a DVD player when I ran into this problem:

The TV has component inputs, but my HT receiver has no component outs. Do I have to use the receiver's video monitor (RCA video cable from the DVD player, to the receiver, back out to the TV), or can I go straight from the DVD player to the TV with component wires? I would still obviously hook up the audio through the receiver. If this is possible, could someone recommend a good DVD player also?

Thanks
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I would run component video directly from your DVD player to your TV.

What price range of DVD player are you looking into?
    Danish

Comment

• andyraines
      • Feb 2006

Ok, so I don't need to run video through the receiver at all?

I'd like to keep the DVD player around $100. I have coax, optical, and 5.1 multichannel to connect to. What is the best audio option?

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Andy, you may need to hook a composite video cable from receiver to TV just for using the on screen adjustments for your receiver. IF it is designed that way, or some people use an S-video feed for this from DVD to receiver, then receiver to TV, but also hook component vid up direct from DVD to TV, or from satellite receiver to TV for example. So, if your adjusting, then you use the less quality feed, if you are watching a DVD, you flip to component.

A 100.00 DVD player range looks like a Best Buy or Circuit City special, just pick what seems best looking to you, maybe what's on sale to get more features for the money, or less overall price. But your not going to be able to select like some high end special player for 100 bucks of course.

That doesn't mean it can't deliver a good image, it can.

I always prefer digital coax for audio myself.

Doug
        Owner
        HTG, CATCables.com
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by andyraines
          Ok, so I don't need to run video through the receiver at all?

I'd like to keep the DVD player around $100. I have coax, optical, and 5.1 multichannel to connect to. What is the best audio option?
          No, you don't have to run video through the receiver, it is primarily for convenience, allowing you to control your components through one device.

Coaxial cable is a good choice, less expensive and more durable.

As far a keeping your DVD cost at $100.00, that's tough, as previously suggested, try Best Buy, Circuit City (maybe an open box), or perhaps even Ebay or Audiogon.com. If you have the extra money try to move your budget to $200.00, it will provide a better quality player.

Peace and Blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• andyraines
            • Feb 2006

Thanks for all the tips guys. As for the player, it probably will be a low budget affair--as I don't have a whole lot of money invested in this setup.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"