X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fabus
    • Aug 2005

How to connect an active-sub to old amp

Hallo, I have an old amp without a sub preout. I need to add an active subwoofer. If I use a "double Y cable " to obtain another pre out the speakers level will go down ?Are there other problem to know? I'm sorry for my English, ciao a tutti, Fabio.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 23 February 2006, 11:29 Thursday.
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

I wouldn't think there would be a problem using a y output on the pre out. It would depend on the input impedance of the sub input, but I think it should be high enough to not have any noticable effect. Another possibility would be to use the speaker level inputs on your sub if it has them.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• fabus
      • Aug 2005

Ciao, I think , for example: I have a battery 12volt 3ampere. If I add to much lamps something will go down , right ? Is It the same for the preamp ?Ciao,Fabio.

Comment

• Stoney
        • Dec 2004

Good example, but it would be like adding lamps that only draw .003 amps, you can add quite a few before they have a noticable effect. A powered sub shouldn't draw very much from the pre-out. It will take a very small signal and amplify it using the mains voltage in for it's power source. Like using your 12v battery to power a relay which in turn switches on a monster lamp powered by a 220V input.
        Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
        Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
        B&W DM605 S2 Mains
        DM602 S2 Surrounds
        DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
        CC6 S2 Center.
        ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Yes the "Powered Sub" will be in essence doing all the dirty work. The receiver will only sending the sub a signal............ kinda passive or say unpowered if you may, so there shouldn't be any noticable load on the reciever at all.
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• NewBuyer
            • Feb 2005

I have always heard (and read) that there will be signal loss when using a y-adapter for this purpose.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I have always heard (and read) that there will be signal loss when using a y-adapter for this purpose.
              It's not a problem.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"