X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunchmoney
    • Jul 2008

A crappy old sub is reborn...

So I had this old Yamaha sub... 8" driver, 3" x 6" port, about .75 cu ft, with a 50 watt (claimed) plate amp... it sucked. Distorted at the slightest provocation, and overall had all the sonic glory of a wet fart.

The good thing about it is that it was a nicely constructed enclosure... although only 1/2" thick mdf on 5 sides, the front baffle was 3/4" thick and it was solidly made... so I decided to revive it with a new driver and amp, and use it to compliment my Tritrix towers.

After much hemming and hawwing, mucking around in (and learning) WinISD, weighing different drivers, sealed vs vented, etc, and seeking advice from all the fine chaps on this here forum, I finally decided on a sealed enclosure with the Tang Band W8-1363SB...

...and the Dayton SA240 plate amp with the 30 hz boost...

Forgot to take any photos before I took the thing apart, but I think you get the gist of what it was... 8" driver, forward-firing 3" port... here you can see how I plugged the port with a disk of mdf... the green stuff is where I bondo'd in some holes that the grill used to attach to...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02864.webp
Views:	174
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	941767

Here you can see what I did on the back... I had a piece of 1" plywood lying around, so I made an adapter out of it to fit the new amp... there was a recess where the old amp used to sit, so I just glued the new piece to it... also routered the corners of it...

Name:	DSC02865.webp
Views:	58
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	941768

Here you can see how I added a "cross" of braces to stiffen up the walls... seemed like a good idea, since the walls are only 1/2" thick... perhaps I should have done more bracing?... oh well, good enough... you can also see where I calked all the inside corners for good measure...

Name:	DSC02866.webp
Views:	50
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	941769

Then a bit of sanding, 4 coats of heavy build primer, another quick sanding, and then 4 coats of black paint... the 4th coat done with the spray gun held at a distance of about 3 feet to achieve some texture... this trick works wonders for less-than-perfect surfaces...

Name:	DSC02871.webp
Views:	47
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	941770

Name:	DSC02873.webp
Views:	45
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	941771

Here I stuffed in about 3/4 lb of PE stuffing... the braces worked nicely to hold the stuffing away from the driver...

Name:	DSC02875.webp
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	941772

Then I used some weather-stripping to seal the driver (why don't drivers come with gaskets? ), soldered the wires to the drivers (I don't believe in those cheap clippy things)...

And... done. There ya have it. The world's blandest looking subwoofer. Although I think it's kindof bad*ss looking for that very reason... all sealed up with no ports... kinda cool IMHO ... like a mini Darth Vader sub... yeah... come on, work with me here

Name:	DSC02877.webp
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	941773

Name:	DSC02878.webp
Views:	45
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	941774

Definitely not my best work, although not much effort put in either... didn't really care all that much since I didn't build the enclosure... if you look closely you can still see where the port used to be, and the back looks pretty crappy. Nowhere near my usual standards of craftsmanship. But whatever. Don't really care all that much.

Will hook it up later and report back with listening impressions.
    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:02 Friday. Reason: Update image location
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Looks like an excellent job to me. :T Don't be so down on you work there ... that's a sub you can be proud of.

I look forward to your listening impressions.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Finleyville
      • Sep 2006

Sometimes I think it takes more effort/imagination to modify a pre-existing object and change it to fit your needs than starting from scratch. Nice job there. I, too, am waiting for your impressions.
      BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• lunchmoney
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Finleyville
        Sometimes I think it takes more effort/imagination to modify a pre-existing object and change it to fit your needs than starting from scratch. Nice job there. I, too, am waiting for your impressions.
        Excellent point. You're absolutely right. Starting with a known enclosure with a known volume made it quite a bit trickier than starting from scratch. I spent more time in WinISD than I did actually building it.

Got a chance to listen to it, and I'm absolutely thrilled. It plays very low, very tight and clean, and plenty loud. Remarkable for a sub this small.

:T

Comment

• clark
          • Oct 2008

I was thinking of using this driver as un upgrade to a Yamaha (YST-SW125) sub also. I was wondering if it would work as a drop in replacement or if I would need to modify or remove the port. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Sweet!

I want one! That would probably work great in my smallish room, and as a music first kind of guy, the sealed version would be great.

Nice job, and besides, there is a landfill that is a bit smaller today :T
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• lunchmoney
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by clark
              I was thinking of using this driver as un upgrade to a Yamaha (YST-SW125) sub also. I was wondering if it would work as a drop in replacement or if I would need to modify or remove the port. Anyone have any thoughts?
              I did some fairly extensive analysis in WinISD, evaluating different drivers, sealed vs ported, etc... and the best I came up with was this driver, sealed, with the SA240 plate amp "with boost"... the "with boost" was key!

If your Yammy sub is the same size as this (8" driver, about .8 cubic feet), then I would recommend sealing it with this driver, with this amp... I'm extremely happy with it.

If your enclosure is significantly different in volume than mine, and/or you plan on using the existing amp, then it's back to the drawing board.

Comment

• clark
                • Oct 2008

I was thinking of using the existing amp. It's listed at 150 watts, but I don't know what the RMS rating is. It has a boost switch - movie/music - although I don't know what it is rated at either. If i recall correctly the box is right at 1 cu ft (based on ext. measurements) It has a flared port - but I don't know how long it is. I can measure it when I get home and I don't know if the inside end of the port is flared, but based on what you're saying the port isn't ideal anyway. I thought maybe I could just plug it with a rubber drain plug and take the esy way out since the finish of the sub isn't offensive.

I figured if I was going to buy a driver and an amp I would just start from scratch with a proven design rather than try to make this one work since I don't have any testing or modeling equipment/ experience, but I ran accross your thread and it seamed to fit the bill, but maybe not with the existing amp?

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• clark
                  • Oct 2008

Ok, I took mine apart this weekend and found some fabric scraps, a necklace, a plastick head, and a coupon! - maybe it's a good thing I don't have any great speakers at the moment Kids - you've gotta love em.
                  I aslo found that both ends of the 8" port have plastic flares, but the port tube is made up of 2 pieces of cardboard joined with some plastic coupler :roll: Why I don't know. Also I found that the amp suppposedly runs 95w so I don't know if that would work for the tang band. The baffle is 3/4" MDF and the sides apear to be 1/2".
                  I am also curious what thoughts are on the "Q-d bass" - it's a flat topped four sides pyramid that acts to push the sound of the down firing sub out in four directions. I can see where this would help with standing waves that would get reflected back into the speaker, but I'm not sure if pushing the sound toward the near wall(s) is a good idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"