X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wick
    • Dec 2005

Older Speaker Question

I found some old speakers and a receiver that my dad had for an old surround sound setup he had. I am pretty sure the receiver is outdated (10+ years old) and Im not sure if it does dolby or dts since it has nothing listed on it. Now the question is I found two floor standing Boston Aucoustics, two book shelf Polk, and 2 smaller pioneer speakers. The speaker connections are all the type with a stripped wire that clamp into the back of the speaker to make a connection. I've noticed newer speakers use plugs.

Are these speakers any good? I didn't think speakers became outdated as quickly as receivers/players/etc.., but the connection type might make a difference. Is it worth using these? or just getting new?

I plan on buying a new receiver when the Dolby HD and DTS HD are out.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Paul
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

Boston acoustics and polk make good speakers, but pioneer doesn't make the best. Can you take a picture of the speakers/connections? I can't really understand what they are.

Comment

• Wick
      • Dec 2005

This isn't a picture of my exact speaker but it's connection is kinda like this.

Instead of wrapping a stripped wire around a screw to connect it, mine has a clamp that holds a stripped wire.

Hope that helps
      Paul

Comment

• Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Hi Wick, Yes we'd have to know more about the speakers. Have you heard them yet? how are the cones > dry rotting >any holes etc.

Now the Bostons may work very well for your mains if you can find a good matching center speaker to go with them. You may use the polks for rears.
        Of course we'd like to tell you to just purchase a good set of 5.1 speaker arrray and use those speakers elswhere if your budget allows.

Tell us about the speaker hook-up at the back of the receiver. Does it have a Sub-Woofer pre-amp out or does have regular speaker wire subwoofer hook-up?

What do you know about Dolby HD vs Dolby Digital. Just curious!
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Wick
          • Dec 2005

I know very little about Dolby HD vs. regular Dolby. Just read an article saying it was higher quality signals. The difference probably isn't real noticable except for the real picky, and I could do without it. But I don't wanna shell out a few grand on a new receiver, new dvd players, and new speakers when the next gen players and receivers are 3-6 months away. I was planning on replacing both the player and receiver for sure. Wanted to temp. use the receiver with the speakers til the next gens stuff is out. The receiver seems really basic for todays standards. Didn't see anything labeled for a sub. Just has ability to use two fronts and two rears. I was gonna go with that setup until I got the new receiver, then I'd go 5.1 with the ability to go 7.2. The speakers and in real nice condition and sound pretty good, just wasnt sure the the speaker connection type, since new receivers don't have the same sort of wire connection. Mine is a stripped wire/clamp connection, when the newer ones have a plug.
          Paul

Comment

• cinema bob
            • Apr 2005

do the speakers have any name plates on the back that have model numbers or anything?

as for the receiver, personally if you are planning on upgrading if i were you i would pick up a JVC 6020 receiver you should be able to find one for around 70-100 dollars and they do DD/DTS put out ample power and actually sound decent. then when you do upgrade you wont be out a a lot of cash and will get to listen to modern surround in the meantime.

Comment

• Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

I don't think that the speaker connection on the speaker end would be a big deal. Strip and clamp the wire if that's what it calls for. Now-a-days 5 way binding posts is what is on most units but still have the option of stipping wires and binding them to the speaker output posts. Don't worry about that.

You mention that the receiver has only four speaker connections is it safe to say that it has "A+B" speaker option? If so, what you're gonna get is 4 speaker stereo. In other words all the speakers connected will output the same sounds/signals at all times. What you may have is an integrated stereo.

For the time being you could go with that if you really want to wait (Not sure how long) for "NEW" technology.

Let us know.
              CLIVE

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

What's the make/model of the receiver? If it has only 4 speaker outputs, it could be A+B stereo, or it could be the old Dolby Surround, the predecessor to Pro-Logic. Are there any Dolby logos anywhere on the receiver?

The speakers use what's known as "spring clip" connectors. Like you described, you strip the wires, push the clip lever, insert the wire, and release the clip. The spring holds the clip closed and the wire in. Stripped ends can be used with binding posts on newer speakers as well.

Comment

• Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Funny we must have been writing at the same time there Kevin ^_^
                  CLIVE

Comment

• Wick
                    • Dec 2005

The receiver is a Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX 830 and has a label on it Dolby Suround. The receiver does have a A and a B button on the front for turning on speakers. It also lists the input as VCR, since it came out before DVD's.

The speakers are Boston Aucoustics A100 Series II and Polk Audio 5JR 56574 Monitor Series. Any idea on if these speakers are worth keeping for my surround system?
                    Paul

Comment

• KeithM
                      • Oct 2005

The best way is to just try them out and see if you like the sound of the,. Then go on from there.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"