• Nov 2003

Boston vs Quad

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and are looking at the following:

Boston VR-M60, VRMEX, VR-MC
    or
    Quad 22L, 12L, L-Centre

Any thoughts on the comparison between these two sets would be appreciated

By the way, i've got a Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver.
    Marius
  • Kemp
    • Nov 2003

Just an update for those who are interested.

I auditioned the Boston VR3's vs the Quad 22L and compared them to my Jamo E470's. The Boston's definately rocks the Quad's out the room. The Quad's are good for soft/classical music, and the build quality is superb. The Boston's is the best for rock or any bass heavy music. It is unbelievable how low these Boston's can go rated at 35hz. All in all i'm going with the VR3's for fronts and the bravo's for surrounds with the VR centre. I'm getting the QED silver anniversary spiral speaker cables with them.

MK
    Marius

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Hey there Kemp!

Actually that is true that was one thing that impressed me about Boston Acoustics...it is how low they can go...they probably go down to 20hz we just can`t hear that low...anyway I don`t know squat about quads other than their electrostatic speakers...now for bookshelf speakers are these the one`s you are lookin` at ?

Anyway if you could tell me I will look and listen to them when I go to the big sound show here in Montreal!

Take care bud!

Bam!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Kemp, I didn't see your original post - sorry. I'm a happy owner of Boston Acoustics' THX system from 3-4 years back. That's the VR-35 mains, the VR-14 center and two sets of VRS-Pro dipole surrounds. For HT, they are a very good system. The VR-35s have been superceded for music listening, but overall, I'll recommend Boston. Good choice.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kemp
          • Nov 2003

Thanks for the replies.

Bam - Yes that is the 11L bookshelf that has been the "Speaker of the year" for What Hi-Fi in the UK. The build quality is really outstanding on these speakers. They have done the real piano finish on them (9 layers I think)

David - On another forum I saw a link to Energy speakers. We haven't got Energy here in SA. Have you done a comparison on them vs Boston. I see according to their ratings they are also easy to drive and goes down low.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks

Marius
          Marius

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

No Kemp, I haven't. I must say though, that the Energy's get sterling evaluations from every source (magazine or online forum) I've seen.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

And me! I love my Energy's, they have one of the nicest tweeters around IMO and the mid and low end are pretty darn nice too :P I have never compared to Boston's though...so not much help there I'm afraid :?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Kemp
                • Nov 2003

This will be the first time that I will get "better" speaker cable. How do you guys think will this silver plated copper wire (Qed silver anniversary) perform with the Yamaha & Boston

Thanks

Marius
                Marius

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"