X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabhbatra
    • Sep 2005

dream system

i am newbie and have been reading a lot since last month or so... now i have a suggestion especially for the sake of newbies... i would like to propose a series of sticky threads... where each one of us could post dream system for X dollars e.g. we could have following threads:
    dream system in less than $2500
    dream system between $2500 - $5000
    dream system between $5000-$7500
    dream system above $7500

i also think these system configration should not include the tv...
    please comment and if u think this is good then i can start these threads...
    and if u think it is no good.. then just ignore this...

saurabh
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not a bad idea at all Saurabh. :T

I am going to move this into our Starting Block forum as that is a better fit for this type of thread.

One thought: You might want to change your cost ranges to
    < $2,500
    $2,500-$5,000
    $5,000-$10,000
    > $10,000

I'll be back with my list later....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sim reality
      • Aug 2005

I'm just thinking... You mean there is someone out there that doesn't get upgradeitus when putting together an HT system?

I just sit around thinking "what is the weakest link in the system NOW?" so I would never be able to call any of the iterations a "dream system".

Comment

• saurabhbatra
        • Sep 2005

i understand building a hometheater is an iterative process... but the idea is that if u had 5000 dollars to build a system from scratch what wud u buy...
        and i think there should be a seperate thread for each budget range... so as to avoid confusion.. and it would give a nnewbie good starting pointt to start working on his system andd that is why i feel these threads should be stickies on the starting block forum...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Saraubh thanks for this wonderful idea. We will give it some thought. Because there are so many manufacturers with some many systems I can see the lists and combinations becoming endless (having over 5,000 members and all). Most people have posted with their own preferences and ask us our opinions then there comes a flurry of suggestions for all to see.

The Starting Block also helps in this regard and avoid any confrontation in regards to preferrences in terms of best matched components or preferred brands.

I'll look into this further with help of the admin and mods :T
          Last edited by Clive; 01 October 2005, 02:02 Saturday.
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Not only would the lists become endless with the large variety of people AND equipment but at the pace technology advances, the lists would be out of date very quickly also.

While it's a great idea Saraubh :T, I think the best route is for people to make posts based on their individual criteria and budgets and let the mods and members help them with all our experience and knowledge

If I may make a suggestion or "edit" your idea. Perhaps we could put something together to help point people in the right direction for "genres" of gear based on budget. For example: Starting at the low end we could list HTIB's ( ) moving up to entry-level bookshelves/receivers with say a direct view display, show price points on when your budget might dictate bigger/better speakers, perhaps entry-level seperates etc with projectors/plasmas etc. Might help to "sort out" folks that don't know where to spend the money. I mean how many times do we see someone who wants to buy a $4500 plasma and a $400 receiver, $100 DVD player and $500 speaker package with a 6" "subwoofer" :roll: :lol: (I'm exaggerating there... a little :lol: )
            Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

aud19 is right. I remember a post not too long ago that started out "I have $4500 to spend, what should I buy". Now, if he was asking specifically what amp, what screen, what something, then ok. But this guy was talking about just ANYTHING HT.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• saurabhbatra
                • Sep 2005

well...

i guess there is a lot of truth in what u guys are saying... but u see when a newbie starts researching for a hometheater config he/she is lost for first 15 days.. so the idea is to provide him a starting point based on what his budget would allow... when i was doing that i wished that there was tutorial by someone experienced to guide my thoughts in the right direction.. but a tutorial is just... so it would be great if one of u guys could start a series of tutorials or one u pros can take up a catagory each and write a tutorial...

but on the flip side that would be just one man's opinion... and strength of a community like this lies in diversity of opinion...

but as u guys pointed out left open to everyone it would lead to plethora of info... leaving a newbie in no better position...
                so it is difficult to find a solution.. so i guess the solutions lies somewhere in between maybe administrators can appoint 5-6 people in each catogary to write such tutorials..
                hey i am just a newbie.. so i dont have all the answers.. but i wanted to point out a genuine need of info... :sn

Comment

• KeithM
                  • Oct 2005

This is a good starting point

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"