X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photoman
    • Apr 2006

Interconnets

Hello friends,

After reading this forum for a month or so, decided to join as I've gotten a wealth of good information here. I don't have anything to share yet other then I now own some Rotel gear. What are you good folks using in the form of cables to connect amp to pre/pro and or CD / DVD players. I just bought all this stuff but no cables at all as I know that dealers fat profit margin is in cables. I don't mind buying decent cables, but in the day of snake oil cable claims I wanted to hold off a bit take a breather and ask opinions from those folks who already been there, done that and got a t-shirt.

Here's my dream system (well dream to me after years of owning junk):

Amp Rotel 1095
    Pre Rotel 1068
    CD Rotel 1072
    DVD Pioneer Eite 79avi (will replace with blue ray in 12 ~ 18 months)
    B&W 803D (Mains)
    B&W HTML3 (Center)
    B&W ASW 825 Sub
    B&W 805s (Rears)
    Pioneer 1130 50" Plasma (HMDI stuff in the rear)
    Mac Mini Core Duo (yep going to connect this to my system, pictures etc.) DVI out and optical (did get the cables from Apple though).

Your help on selecting cables would be highly appreciated. Again, everything is in boxes and I don't own a single cable (yet). I can wait a week or so until I get some (the benefit of being over 40). When I was 18 I would have been sleeping on top of those speakers and connected them with yarn if I could. Again, thanks for your help.

Photoman.
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

If you order all this (or even partial orders), your dealer should be happy to throw in decent cables for free. At least that's what happened to me. And they were all cut to my specifications.

Otherwise I've heard good things about Monster cables.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, the forum sponsor, Cat Cables, you have some choices there, but other there are also other choices.
      See what your dealer will do for you with cables and go from there.
      B&W

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
        • Apr 2006

It sort of breaks down to your beliefs/preferences:
        -If you think cables don't matter much at all as long as they can carry a signal, then just use what comes in the box and get the rest at Radio Shack (non Monster ones).
        -If you're a little unsure and want to buy some piece of mind, then check cat cables or some other resonably priced suppliers you can find mentioned in boards like these.
        -If you think they're really important then ask your dealer what they recommend and get ready to open your wallet wide!

"Quality" in this realm quickly moves from the measurable to the subjective.

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by sirbogey
          Otherwise I've heard good things about Monster cables.
          :E

Where!? While monster cables are 'ok'... they're definitely overpriced for what you get... Most people would say Monster took a page out of the Bose Marketing Handbook...

Personally, I buy decent but cheaper cables, as you can get same calliber quality as monster cables for half the price. I.e. the 'Best Buy Blue Cables'

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

You mention some very nice gear in your post. I feel the 20% rule is a safe and practical method for dealing with cabling. In other words, if I had a total system valued at 10k, I would budget roughly 2k on cables. Higher quality systems tend to ‘display’ the nuances of cables more than low and mass-market equipment.

I highly recommend you get in touch with Doug at Cat Cables. I will never use M* brand. I make both these recommendations from first hand personal experience.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Shawn Parr
              • Feb 2006

Personally I own some Monster stuff. Both higher end Pro stuff (which is not as high end as the really high end consumer stuff) and some midrange consumer stuff. M1000 and M500 for the pro, M350i and M500i for the consumer stuff.

I recently got some Cat cables and have to say they are very nicely put together. I bought a Coolcat and a pair of BlueTigers and the build quality is really great. They also while outwardly having the same bulk as the M350i's, inside they have a bit more copper, and while there may or may not be more to cables than that, thicker cables (thus having less resistance) tends to be better.

In this case the Monster's are cheaper, but the quality of the Cat clearly outshines them, and makes the Cat's a better value IMHO. I haven't done any listening tests with them at this time, but my hifi system frankly isn't up to snuff, and they would be hard to integrate into my studio.

Comment

• bulitnv
                • Mar 2006

How would Audioquest cables compare?

Chris

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Some good comments, but I'm going to have to lock this thread per forum rules:

Limit Cable Discissions - HTGuide's owner and main sponsor (Doug A.K.A. Lex and owner of www.catcables.com) has found from many years experience that cable discussions can get way out of hand quickly - so there are special restrictions on them such as they can't be the main topic of discussion (i.e. the thread) and there can be no links to websites that are purely on-line cable brands. So - if you want to talk cables - try PMs or go elsewhere!
                  Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"