X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willng24
    • Aug 2005

$2,500 to spend on a TV..oohh the choices

Hey all,

I'm new to the HT world and hopefully I can start with a bang. I don't want to (can't) spend more than $2,500 on a tv. I was wondering if what you experts have in mind. I have about 9ft of viewing distance and I think the Samsung HL-R5087W (50inch DLP) may be a good fit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you have the space I vote for a Hitachi or Mitsubishi CRT based RPTV. They'll give you a better picture than anything else.

Or if you have good light control in your roo, a front projector. At that price, an LCD unit.
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

How well can you control light in that room? When will you be viewing the set and what do you watch? Reason I ask is a combonation of a regular TV and a projector might give you the best of both worlds.

Comment

• willng24
        • Aug 2005

haha..I have no light control. It is more like the light controls me. I live in a highrise that faces NE and I'm a bit on the lazy side to put up curtains. However, I do most of my tv watching during the evenings so it isn't that bad.

Someone earlier mentioned a CRT, but condo living doesn't make that a good choice.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well perhaps front projector and a "normal" direct view would be a good solution for you as Andrew suggested. You could use the direct view for the small amount of daytime viewing you do and for non-critical viewing ie: the news. And use the projector for nightime, critical and movie watching. This solution would give you the biggest picture and take up very minimal floor space

The NE windows aren't bad either as that mostly morning light then and for Pete's sake, don't be so lazy and put up some curtains! :P
          Jason

Comment

• willng24
            • Aug 2005

How do you folks feel about the Mitsubishi W52525. Pretty much the same as the Samsung HL-R5087W?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"