X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loveatari
    • Apr 2005

denon dvd 2910 vs others vs rotel

hi,

Im new to the forum and would like to get some opinons on dvd-a players. I just purchased the Denon dvd 2910 and wanted to know if there was something better in that price range, I got it for $550. A friend told me to check out the rotel dvd's, but Im not sure if that is a great product to compare to the denon. I currently have a rotel reciever and b&w speakers. Please let me know if you need
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

If you have any use/need for SACD, the Rotel players don't support the format. I have some SACD's that I love, and that's pretty much the only reason I've not yet bought a Rotel player.

The Denon models are pretty much the standard today. High quality, and feature rich.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Pioneer makes some nice universal players, and over a wide price range. On the low end, there's the DV-578A-S (MSRP $200), and moving up from there are (in the Elite line) the DV-45A (MSRP $700), DV-47Ai (MSRP $1,200) and the flagship DV-59AVi (MSRP $1,600). The DV-47Ai is probably the closest to the Denon 2910 for comparison purposes.

Comment

• loveatari
        • Apr 2005

Thank you spiffnem and Kevin P, I will take your notation into consideration. Do you guys know how this HDMI stuff works, does my rotel reciever need to have HDMI inputs or anything?
        Sorry for the dumb questions, im new to the audio/video field and trying to learn as much as i can. Is there a audio/video site for dummies?

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

HDMI carries high resolution audio and video in the digital domain over a single cable. You need a display (TV, projector, plasma) with a HDMI or DVI input to take advantage of the HDMI output.

Most receivers at present don't support HDMI (and those that do are big $$$), so you'd still have to use coaxial or optical digital cable to carry digital audio to your receiver (or analog cables, for SACD and DVD-A), and feed the HDMI or DVI signal directly to your display.

And there's no such thing as a dumb question. All of us started out in your shoes at one time. Asking questions ("dumb" or otherwise) is how you learn about all this cool home theater stuff!

Comment

• Black7
            • Apr 2005

The Denon 2910 is comparable to the 2200 that is now discontinued (only it has DVI / HDMI connects). I would suggest Denon over pioneer models if you consider video an important attribute - as for for audio, the Elites are right up there. BTW, the 47i didn't fair well on video. I own the 2910 - good middle of the road player. If it has a weekness, it's 2 channel audio - on the other hand, it's 5.1 analogue (SACD / DVDA) is outstanding.

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

I really like the Rotel RDV-1060. It does CD playback about as well as the RCD-1072. Only negatives are: No SACD, no HDMI/DVI, hardly no base management and some functions common functions are only accessed thru the OSD. But I know many would deal with this for its solidity and great Redbook performance. Of course the 2910 is no slouch either. Of least importance but always nice is the fact that the Rotel 10 series is drop dead gorgeous -- makes the Denon stuff look like toys if that is important to you. As much as I like Rotel, Denon is hard to beat these days for DVD players.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"