X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyh
    • Feb 2005

How Do I hook up amp to receiver?

I am quite embarrassed by posting this thread, but I will swallow my pride and proceed anyway.

I am new to this forum, but not new to home audio. However, for the last 12 years I have been running a 5.1 system with a Carver HR895 a/v receiver as my main component. The speakers have until recently, been a hodgepodge collected while in college.

I have upgraded my speakers with a full 7.1 speaker array consisting of all Phase Technology Teatro speakers excluding my Def Tech PF15TL+ sub. The hold up in completing my system overhaul has been selecting a new a/v receiver. After a lot of research and in-home as well as in-store auditioning, I've decided to take the leap to separates. But with my limited budget, I'm taking my time to choose the best pre/pro I can.

That said, I have picked up a Carver AV-705x, (125 x 5) amp. My HR-895 has preamp outputs for front, surround and center channels. Each channel has 2 rca inputs, however, the amp has just 1 rca per channel. How the heck do I hook these together? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the amp was purchased through ebay and I need to know if it works.

BTW, I went out and bought 3 sets of Monster THX interconnects for this task. Please help this dufus out so I can test my amp, thanks.

anthony
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi ya Tony, welcome to The Guide. :welcome: We can always use more Texans around here.

Don't worry about the question - we ALL started asking what we thought were obvious ones. Here's an image of the back of the amp. You run the pre-out to the corresponding RCA on the amp.

BTW, this seems to be a pretty decent amp - at least from the specs.
    Last edited by David Meek; 05 April 2005, 11:21 Tuesday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Welcome to the Guide Anthony. Please don't feel intimidated. This Forum would not be doing well if questions are not asked or help being given whenever or to whomever needs it :T

David here are some other pics

here

Sorry about the Ebay link. It was the best to confirm Anthonys' concerns.

Seems to me you'll need an all male "Y" connector for each channel. David, is this right?
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• autio
        • Mar 2005

Well David I think you mean that he has 2 speaker "connections" per channel and only one rca jack per channel. I am not that famialiar with either of these products but intuitively I think the HR-895 is a reciever with pre-out main-in rca's, there for the purpose of using either internal or external amplifaction. So therefore I think you should be connecting the rca's marked preout (or out on the reciever to the rca of the corresponding channel on the amp. I hope this helps

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

ops: D'oh.

Post corrected. Not enough coffee when I read it at first. Damn, I hate that - moderatorus es stupidus.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• anthonyh
            • Feb 2005

:T Thanks guys, it has been solved. My main problem had to do with the back of my receiver and its pre/outs. I learned that after pulling the jumpers, I only utilize the left rca jack and leave the right rca open,( at least that what seems to work).
            Since this amp was purchased from ebay, I now finally can tell whether it works or not. And It DOES, whew! I havn't had the best experiences purchasing electronics from there. Now just need to decide on a pre/pro?

Thanks again for your assistance and warm welcome to the forum.

anthony

Comment

• jamesdmc
              • Jul 2005

What if the receiver doesn't have a set of jacks specifically labelled as "pre-out" (Sony STRDE995). It has a subwoofer pre-out and two sets of "multichannel IN", but no pre-out section with Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right. What do I do in a situation like this?

I should add that I'm trying to hook this up to a Rotel RMB-1095 that has single input RCA jacks for right ,left, center, surround right, and surround left. Is it time to look for a receiver with pre outs or maybe a pre/pro?

Comment

• mitch57
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jamesdmc
                What if the receiver doesn't have a set of jacks specifically labelled as "pre-out" (Sony STRDE995). It has a subwoofer pre-out and two sets of "multichannel IN", but no pre-out section with Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right. What do I do in a situation like this?

I should add that I'm trying to hook this up to a Rotel RMB-1095 that has single input RCA jacks for right ,left, center, surround right, and surround left. Is it time to look for a receiver with pre outs or maybe a pre/pro?
                James,

Welcome to the Htguide forum. I recognized your name and took a look at your profile to confirm that you are the very same James that bought my Rotel RMB-1095.

I'm sorry to hear that your Sony doesn't have any pre-outs. As far as I know you won't be able to use your Sony as a pre/pro for the Rotel. You've come to the right place for answers though. I know you have already spent a bunch of money on the amp but it looks like you will need to spend some more money in order to hook up your Rotel.

I'm not sure what your future plans are for your system but now would be a good time to start thinking about whether or not you want to go with a dedicated pre/pro or go with one of the very good receivers for your pre/pro. I use the Denon 3805 and it makes a great pre/pro. I know some people will disagree with me on using receivers as a dedicated pre/pro but receivers have come a long way in the last couple of years and I can point you to some experts in the field who will agree with me on this issue.

So... the next question is what is your budget for a pre/pro/receiver? I know that you also need new speakers as well so you might want to budget for the whole shebang. Or then again, you might want to seperate them out and upgrade as your financial situation permits.

Mitch
                Mitch
                :stupidpc:

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"