Ive seen on ebay a few deals on the carver amps.Some would say "magnetic field"others would say "high current"amp.What do these specifications mean.Dont mean to be ignorant i just dont know the differences between these and regular power amps.
Carver amp ?
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
His amp owners manuals give a good description of the magnetic field design. They are supposed to be the closest thing to "tube" sounding in a solid state design. They are high current capable, which means they will drive the most inefficiant speakers with ease. I have owned 3, TFM-25, TFM-35X, and the TFM-15. As someone commented once, they will drive nails. Great for Bose 901's, Infinity Reference 2.5's, these demand ALOT of power. I have since sold mine and moved up (to me) the food chain to Rotel.- Bottom
-
I think Magnetic Field is merely a term used by Carver to describe the power supply design that was more or less unique to his products at the time.
Perhaps a tech expert will chime in, but I think that the Magnetic Field Carver amps use a type of power supply that keeps the rail voltages just slightly above the voltage required at any given level (within the amps capabilities, of course) to reproduce the audio signal. The concept is to minimize voltage drop across the output devices in order to reduce the heat generated and also to minimize the need for brute force power supplies compared to conventional designs.
Not exactly sure if they are the same, but I think similar, the newer Carver amps use the term Tracking Downconverter instead of Magnetic Field.
Again, if I mucked it up too badly, I hope someone will clear it up for the both of us.There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:
----JAFFE'S PRECEPT- Bottom
Comment
Related Topics
Collapse
-
by Paul51does anyone know if this is a reliable 2 channel amp? how many watts per channel? and would it be a good addition to my RSX-1056 to drive my front speakers? any help as to magnetic field would be appricated.
thanks paul-
Channel: Audio Hideout
-
-
by AwArEnEsSI have a problem which I haven't been able to solve yet.About two weeks ago,I put one of the B&W 685's on a shelf,very close to the dvd recorders and satellite receivers.685 was not connected to the receiver(amplificator).After a while in the same day,the satellite receiver started getting locked.Then...-
Channel: Audio Hideout
17 January 2010, 18:13 Sunday -
-
I've heard Thomas say that the effects of a nearby unshielded midrange on a CRT television depend entirely on how far away it is from the TV, and how well shielded the TV itself is.
Is it possible to test out the TV set itself without having a built speaker? How strong of a regular magnet...-
Channel: Mission Possible DIY
-
-
by CliveG'day Members. As part of our efforts to assist new and seasoned members I am starting this thread, to be used as a quick reference guide.
I am sure that there will be some missing from this original list so in that case I will ask that members can post the words and there meaning/explanations...-
Channel: AV Chalet and Home Theater Hangout
-
-
by digitalmanJim-Wayne-Curt, thanks again for creating such a great design. I have been wanting to build the statements ever since the day Jim posted the designs. It's been a long waiting process for me, we finally built our new house and I am working on our home theater. As soon as it's done i will be building...-
Channel: Mission Possible DIY
-
- Loading...
- No more items.

Comment