X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Rotel vs Carver

Howdy folks, I am new to this forum thanks to the gentleman I just purchased my RMB-1075 from. I was using a Carver TFM-35X to run my fronts- Klipsch RF-3's, as my primary concern has been 2 chnl audio. I use a Rotel RSP-980, RDA-980, and RDA-985. I also am running the full compliment of Klipsch Reference surounds, center, and sub. The other 3 chnls were also powered by Carver, a TFM-22, and TFM-25. I just feel the need to pass along, Oh My, The 2 channel sound stage with this 1075 is phenominal vs the Carver. The Carver is 250/chnl so is louder, butt, the 1075 just left me feeling very satisfied. I am no audiophile, so excuse the terminology if need be, but if anyone is considering trading in there nice, dynamic, powerful sounding Carver amp(s) for a Rotel, ya owe it to yourself to at least a side by side taste test. I'm still smilin 24hrs. later
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

While Bob Carver is a genius of sorts, his amps have always been known for power --- lots of it but that's it, power. Forget cleaning it up and making it sound good. Just make it loud.

I had some Carver equipment many, many years ago when he worked for Phase Linear. My stereo amp was rated at 500W/channel @ 8 ohms. I had 2 pair of Bose 901's hooked up to it so in essence I had 1,000 watts/channel @ 4 ohms. I was a really popular guy with this setup when I was in college!

Well times change and over the years I've learned a lot more about this wacky hobby. Though I only own a Rotel RB-1050 that I use for my Zone 2 amplification, my other amps and my Rotel pre-pro produce a sound no Carver product can come close to.

Jim

P.S. Where in Wisconsin are you from? I'm in Franklin.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Originally hailed from Durand, Now in Prescott since 1972. On the Audio-Video note, I have incrementally piece parted what I now have together. I had initially used a Yamaha RSX-V850 as a 2 chnl pre into the carver then into a pair of Koss CM-1030 spks. The RSP-980 was a very noticable improvement over the Yamaha even in 2 chnl. Much more realistic sounding. The Yamaha had a tendancy to stick the highs right in youre face, where the Rotel put a nicer blend on things. With the 1075 over the Carver(s) the bass is much more natural sounding (tighter) and the prescence of the whole stage opened up, and is qiute accurate. Now I am rambling, but, Damn, Best 800 bucks I have spent so far..........

Comment

• LCSeminole
        • Apr 2003

While I don't personally own a Rotel product yet, RSP1068 on order, my experiences with Carver have been quite pleasing. I moved my Carver AV-705x amp and Onkyo receiver to the bedroom, quite a bedroom setup I might add, and replacing them are an RSP-1068 along with NAD amplifiers S250 and 218THX. I have already heard a difference with the S250 over the AV-705x, depth & especially clarity, were the most apparent, but when comparing my AV-705x with my next door neighbors RMB-1075, yes we swapped them out just to see the difference, the differences were just minute if at all. I'm sure Rotel makes fine amplifiers but we didn't hear the differences that one would expect between this current 1075 and a much old Carver 705x model. Then again it's all in the "ears" of the listener.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Hear-Hear (no pun intended) I truly believe the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I forgot to mention I use a Carver TX-11 FM tuner wich i will probably never part with due to the way it sounds to me.

Comment

• TonyL
            • Dec 2003

I have a Carver AVR 100 receiver that I bought back in 1989 that I'll probably never part with. It sounds wonderful and I'm a sucker for the sonic hologram. It's now in use in the bedroom hooked up to a pair of vintage AR TSW 510s.

My Carver tuner TX-8R is an integral part of my RSP-1098 and RMB-1095 system.

I considered the new Sunfire products before going Rotel but liked the Rotel much better.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"